CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS: Mon, 4/4 thru Sun, 5/8

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2005
      CENTER FOR BEADWORK & JEWELRY ARTS
      A School With A Different Approach
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...
      calendar and announcements:

      CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF EXCELLENCE AT LAND OF ODDS!
      1980 thru 2005
      Read about Land of Odds on-line:
      www.landofodds.com/store/oddsabou.htm

      ()-()-(cut here)-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      GOOD THRU April 18th, 2005 With This Coupon

      SPECIALS THIS MONTH AT BE DAZZLED BEADS
      With This Coupon
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610

      20% off any color with an "R" in its name

      YOUR FAVORITE BEAD & JEWELRY MAGAZINES now at Be Dazzled. You can
      now pick up the most recent copies of Bead & Button, Bead Style, Art
      Jewelry, Bead Dreams and Art Doll Quarterly at the shop.

      NEW: 4mm cathedral beads. Also, about 45 colors of 4mm and 3mm
      miyuki cubes.

      GOOD THRU April 18th , 2005 With This Coupon
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      ()-()-(cut here)-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      CYNTHIA RUTLEDGE WORKSHOPS in AUGUST 2005
      Saturday, 8/27/05, 1-day workshop entitled: TIBETAN BANGLE BRACELET
      http://www.cynthiarutledge.net/workshops/b-tibetanbangle.htm
      This Saturday Tibetan Bangle Bracelet workshop is full. We are
      taking names to be put on a waiting list, should someone who is
      registered not be able to attend.

      Sunday, 8/28/05, 1-day workshop entitled: SEA COIL BANGLE
      http://www.cynthiarutledge.net/workshops/b-seacoilbangle.htm
      This Sunday Sea Coil Bangle workshop is full. We are taking names
      to be put on a waiting list, should someone who is registered not be
      able to attend.

      NOTE: If there is enough interest, I'll ask Cynthia if she would do
      a third day, and repeat one of the workshops above. I have 6
      people on the waiting list, and need 12 to set up an additional
      workshop on Friday, 8/26. Cynthia has blocked this date as a
      possibility.

      FUSED GLASS WORKSHOP FOR BEGINNERS
      FG7101: INTRODUCTION TO FUSED GLASS MAKING ($150.00 instructional
      fee, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      LOOK & SEE: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/fg7101.jpg
      Sat, May 28, 9am-3pm

      Bead & Button Show 2005, June 12-19, 2005 Milwaukee, WI
      a weeklong beading celebration
      This year, we are offering over 350 workshops and classes - more
      than ever before. We are offering our third annual Master Class with
      Cynthia Rutledge, and our first Advanced Glass Workshop, with Leah
      Fairbanks. Our workshops range from introductory-level beading
      sessions for beginners to intensive courses for advanced beaders.
      This is the place to learn new techniques and polish your existing
      skills. It is also the perfect place to mingle and make friends with
      like-minded beaders!
      More information: www.beadandbutton.com

      TRUNK SHOW, Saturday, July 9th, 2005
      International Jewlery & Beads will be holding an all-day trunk show
      at Be Dazzled Beads (718 Thompson Lane in Nashville). The IJB
      show is stocked with over $100,000 in gemstones, pearls and
      individual centerpieces at very discounted prices. Mark you
      calendars. Well worth waiting for.

      WE NEED A LOOM TEACHER—Anyone Interested?
      WE NEED A RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE TEACHER—Anyone Interested?
      WE NEED A HEMP AND BRAID/KNOTTING/MACRAME TEACHER –Anyone Interested?

      BEADING CLOTCH
      2nd and 4th Wednesday of each Month
      We've set aside the afternoons (noon to 3pm or later) on the 2nd and
      4th Wednesdays of each month, (and if there's a 5th Wednesday, on
      that day, too), for an open-ended Beading Clotch. Anyone may come,
      bring whatever projects they are working on, and work on them, share
      them, whatever. This is totally open-ended. No fees.

      THE UGLY NECKLACE CONTEST: Deadline March 15, 2006
      Read the rules for the The Ugly Necklace contest at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/uglynecklace.htm

      ALL DOLLED UP: BEADED ART DOLL COMPETITION. (Deadline August 15th,
      2005). Theme: Over the Rainbow. For more information, visit our
      web-site: http://www.landofodds.com/store/alldolledup.htm

      WHAT'S NEW @ The Open Window Gallery – Fine Art Jewelry and More
      O Wire work jewelry by Tracey Dooling
      O Designer earrings by "TiCi" Tiffany Clapp
      O Heirloom Jewelry Organizer by fiber artist Sandra Walker
      O Photographic art work by Ellen Sutherland
      O "Emma Valentine" Jewelry
      O Pott Nash and Stevie Kelly Jewelry
      O Bead crochet and other bead-woven pieces by Kathleen Lynam
      O Gemstone and Lampwork Glass jewelry by James Alfred Jones

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS!
      All it takes is 3 people to make special arrangements for any of
      our classes. Just let us know your interests in specific courses,
      the time the three or more of you would like to meet, and we'll
      coordinate scheduling with the teacher.

      GET LISTED WITH US On-LINE
      We've decided to set up a Links Page
      (www.landofodds.com/store/artistsonweb.htm ) on the Land of Odds web-
      site (www.landofodds.com) that maintains active links to the web-
      sites of our students and teachers who sell their jewelry on-line.
      This is a good way to promote yourselves and your jewelry. There
      are no charges. Land of Odds ranks as something like the 29,000th
      busiest site on the net, and gets about 6,000 unique visitors every
      day. Hopefully we can entice some of these folks to venture over
      to our new Links page, and then over to your web-site to see your
      stuff.
      I would need you to send me an email (warren@...) with
      the following information:
      Your business name
      Your name
      Your web-site address
      A brief description of the types of items you sell

      Some optional information you can provide:
      An image of a logo
      An image of a piece of jewelry or other item that you sell

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further. Looking for teachers with experience in the following areas:
      wire-wrapping
      hemp
      fiber arts and beads, bead knitting, bead and cloth embellishment
      brick stitch
      peyote stitch for intermediate and advanced classes
      loomwork for intermediate and advanced classes

      -------

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, April 4, 2005 through Sun, May 8, 2005

      PLEASE PRE-REGISTER FOR CLASSES AT LEAST 3-5 DAYS AHEAD OF TIME

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge. When registering, a deposit is
      required. You may pay this with a credit card, check or cash. If you
      are registering by phone, you may pay with a credit card, or mail in
      a check. Deposits are nonrefundable. If you need to purchase your
      supplies and tools, please come a little earlier than the start time
      of the class, so you can finish purchasing what you need before the
      class begins. You'll find all these details posted on-line on the
      CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      ORIENTATION TO BEADS AND JEWELRY FINDINGS Course
      You need this course if:
      - You don't know what the differences in quality are between
      glass beads made in the Czech Republic, in Japan, in China and in
      India -- what are you really buying, how long will these beads
      last, how well will they work in your particular project?
      - You don't know the differences between 14KT gold plate over brass
      (gold-filled), 14KT gold plate over silver (vermeil), and Hamilton
      Gold Plate over brass, aluminum, steel, pot metal or copper, and
      what will likely happen to the plating over the next 3-6 months, 1-3
      years, and 5 years
      - You don't know what the differences are between "druks" and "fire
      polish" beads
      - You don't know how to tell crystal beads made in Austrian (top of
      the line) from those made in the Czech Republic and China (things
      often substituted, but of a lower quality)
      - You are unfamiliar with the history of beads, and how the Ogalala
      Sioux, the Pope, Zulu tribes, the
      French/Italians/Czech/African/Persian/North American bead
      interactions, and the shoe industry in America have influenced how
      you use beads today
      - You don't know the differences between seed beads and delicas,
      what the differences are between 12/0 and 11/0 delicas, and that
      seed beads come in many shapes, including Magatamas, Mini Fringe
      Drops, Twists, Bugles, Cubes, Triangles, Niblettes, to name some
      - You are unfamiliar with appropriate choices for stringing
      materials, jewelry findings and tools

      The Orientation course is 2 hours. Best of all, the orientation
      course is free.

      Fri, 4/8, 9:30-11:30am
      Mon, 4/11, 6-8pm
      Fri, 4/15, 9:30-11:30am
      Thurs, 4/21, 6-8pm
      Fri, 4/22, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 4/29, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 5/6, 9:30-11:30am
      Mon, 5/9, 6-8pm
      Fri, 5/13, 9:30-11:30am
      NO ORIENTATION on Fri, 5/20
      Fri, 5/27, 9:30-11:30am

      This is taught with 1 student or more than 1 -- it does not matter.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientat
      ion/orient.htm]

      STUDENTS WHO BEGIN OUR PROGRAM USUALLY TAKE THESE COURSES
      AFTER TAKING THE ORIENTATION CLASS:

      If interested in Bead Stringing:
      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING AND ATTACHING CLASPS
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING

      If interested in Bead Weaving:
      STITCH OF THE MONTH – Create a New Bracelet with a Different Stitch
      each month.
      Join this class at any point in the 12-part sequence. The first
      session is repeated every couple months.
      BW2495 RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET
      LOOM2020 INTRODUCTION TO THE LOOM
      PEY2002 LEARN TO PEYOTE
      BC0101: INTRODUCTION TO BEAD CROCHET

      If interested in Wire Work Jewelry:
      WIRE9001 ORIENTATION TO WIRE (this is the first class)
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE – CUFF BRACELET
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND BEADS – VICTORIAN CHOKER
      WIRE9101: INTRODUCTION TO CHAIN MAKING
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP
      WIRE9201: DESIGN YOUR OWN CLASPS
      WIRE9202: DESIGN YOUR OWN EARRINGS

      AFTER TAKING 3 or so COURSES, STUDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO TAKE THE
      JEWELRY DESIGN CLASSES, Beginning with INTRO TO COLOR, then JEWELRY
      DESIGN I and JEWELRY DESIGN II.
      Also of interest here:
      BW2490: ETERNAL GARDEN BRACELET class – learn about color blending
      Any fringes, straps and embellishment class

      STITCH OF THE MONTH
      Learn a new bracelet stitch each month!
      Instructor: Kathleen Lynam

      Meets one Sat morning and one weekday evening each month.

      The Stitch of the Month curriculum is designed to teach 12 major
      bead-weaving stitches/techniques in a comparative context. This is
      perhaps one of the best ways to learn bead weaving. You get a
      clearer understanding of what each stitch is, how to manage and
      control it, and what your project and design options are, when you
      learn them comparatively, rather than in isolation from each other.

      Each class is devoted to explaining a little of the history of the
      stitch and the how-to basics of doing the stitch. Students then
      practice with variations on the stitch, such as
      increasing/decreasing, flat vs. tubular vs. circular, and the like.
      Students are guided in planning a sampler, using the stitch.

      Students create a bracelet each month.

      Students may join the class at any point in the 12-month cycle. You
      may do all of the classes, or only some of them, as you desire. The
      first class is repeated every 2-3 months. If you miss a class, it
      will be repeated in the next cycle.

      The Twelve Sessions (June begins cycle)
      1. Beadweaving Primer. This session then introduces The Square
      Stitch.(This session is repeated every 2-3 months)
      TBA
      2. The Herring Bone Stitch (also known as the Ndebele Stitch)
      TBA
      3. The Peyote Stitch
      TBA
      4. The Brick Stitch
      TBA
      5. The Loom
      TBA
      6. Right Angle Weave Stitch
      TBA
      7. Chevron Stitch
      TBA
      8. Netting
      TBA
      9. Fringe Techniques
      TBA
      10. Bead Embroidery Techniques
      TBA
      11. Spiral Rope Strap Techniques
      Mon, 4/18/05, 6-8pm
      12. St. Petersburg Chain Strap Techniques
      Sat, 5/17/05, 10am-noon
      Mon, 5/16/05, 6-8pm

      ADVANCED STUDY GROUP

      Meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-3:00pm No
      fees.

      You may join the group at anytime. The purposes of the group are
      manifold, including to explore new methods of beading, to experiment
      with variations on traditional techniques, and to study culture-
      specific beading techniques.

      AUGUST 2004 thru AUGUST 2005, a year long study into the art and
      artistry of bead weaver Cynthia Rutledge:
      HOW TO BEAD A ROGUE ELEPHANT:
      WANDERING THE PATHS OF THE BEAD ARTIST – Cynthia Rutledge

      Next bead studies:
      Wed, Apr 6, Apr 20, May 4 1-3pm
      No advanced study on Wed, May 18th

      We'll be working on two of Cynthia's "Mid-Career" projects. You
      can do one or both, or just participate in our ongoing discussions
      without working on either project. I will need to know from you if
      you want me to order either or both of these for you.

      1) Celtic Garden Necklace
      http://www.cynthiarutledge.net/workshops/n-celticgarden.htm

      In this piece, you will:
      - layer a piece of beadwork and build out from there
      - the challenge is in creating the scale and proportions to make the
      piece look like a real fuchsia flower
      - make components and stitch them together to create the 3-D flower

      2) Romancing the Lariat
      http://www.cynthiarutledge.net/workshops/n-romancelariat.htm

      In this piece, you will
      - do a lot of color blending and color gradations. Each palette
      consists of 24 separate colors.
      - some taste of 3-D work, but nothing complicated
      - stitching is simple, but allows the colors to move around the piece

      ALSO, in preparation for our discussions, you may want to look up
      and download some images from various metal artists on-line, but
      particularly
      David Yurman
      http://www.davidyurman.com/
      Thomas Mann
      http://www.thomasmann.com/

      Look at the overall form, its structure, it's feel, the closures,
      the connections between each part and component.

      You may also register for the BeadStudy group under Yahoo where
      summaries of the discussions will be sent to group members, and you
      may continue the discussions on line. Summaries of all discussions
      and all handouts are archived here for you, as well.

      ELECTIVES
      If you would like to take any class listed on our web-site, but not
      in the schedule, please call Warren (615-292-0610), and we'll see if
      we can arrange a time for you.

      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also, you
      may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing out
      of
      prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      BEAD STRINGING

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps

      Electives
      Pearl Knotting
      Intro to Color
      Jewelry Design I
      Jewelry Design II
      Wire Orientation
      Wire: Design Your Own Clasps
      Wire: Design Your Own Earrings
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn both needle/thread and crimp/flexwire approaches to stringing
      beads; pros and cons of various types of clasps; use of various
      types of jewelry findings; insights about stringing beads from an
      expert)
      Sat, 4/9, 9am-noon
      Tues, 4/19, 9am-noon
      Sat, 5/14, 9am-noon
      Mon, 5/30, 9am-noon

      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn this simple, straightforward technique. No special tools
      required)
      Thurs, 4/14, 6-8:30pm
      Thurs, 5/12, 6-8:30pm
      Thurs, 6/23, 6-8:30pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      peyote stitch, loomwork, ndebele stitch, right angle weave, brick
      stitch, other stitches, fringe/strap/edge and other elements of
      design, plus Advanced Study Groups(1st and 3rd Wednesdays), Stitch
      of the Month, and the Wednesday afternoon Beading Clotch (2nd and
      4th Wednesdays)

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Design Elements:

      BW2003: FRINGES AND STRAPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (learn different techniques for making fringes and straps)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      The LOOM:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Basics of Beadweaving
      4. LOOM2020: Introduction to Loomwork

      Electives
      Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Other loom and bead weaving classes listed in catalog
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      LOOM2020: INTRODUCTION TO LOOMWORK $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to warp a loom, and create a simple piece of loomwork)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      PEYOTE STITCH:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. BW2001: BASICS OF BEADWEAVING
      4. PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE
      5. PEY2011: Tubular Peyote

      Electives
      Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Other bead weaving classes listed in catalog
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE-SIMPLE AMULET BAG W/STRAP $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE – INTERMEDIATE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee
      ($40.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING
      Bead Crochet
      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. BC0101: Introduction to Bead Crochet
      4. BC2001: BASICS OF BEAD WEAVING
      5. BC0102: Intermediate Bead Crochet

      BC0101: INTRODUCTION TO BEAD CROCHET: $40.00 instructional fee
      ($40.00 deposit reserves space) (3 hour class plus 1 additional
      hour to be scheduled by teacher and students)
      TBA
      BC0101B: FINISHING OFF YOUR BEAD CROCHET ROPE – A FOLLOW-UP TO
      BC0101 CLASS $10.00 instructional fee ($10.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      TBA
      BC0102: INTERMEDIATE BEAD CROCHET CLASS: $30.00 instructional fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 5/7, 1-4pm

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Miscellaneous Stitches:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Right Angle Weave Bracelet
      4. Basics of Beadweaving
      5. Fringed Tulip Bag or Fringes and Straps

      Electives
      Any bead weaving class
      Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      BW2490: ETERNAL GARDEN BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 kit of
      beads ($40.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA

      BEADING/JEWELRY MAKING AS A BUSINESS

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Getting Your Jewelry Making Business Started
      2. Pricing and Selling Your Jewelry
      3. Internet Marketing for Very Small Businesses…That Works!

      Electives:
      So You Want To Do Craft Shows
      Buying Gemstone Beads

      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to apply a formula for determining a fair retail price and a
      fair wholesale price; learn basics of marketing process)
      Tues, 4/26, 6-8pm
      Tues, 5/10, 6-8pm
      Sat, 6/25, 9am-11am
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about local, state and federal requirements/forms; simple
      bookkeeping set up to track costs and revenues; defining business
      model)
      Sat, 4/16, 9am-11am
      Tues, 5/3, 6-8pm
      Sat, 6/18, 9am-11am
      BUS3008: BUYING GEMSTONE BEADS $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn insights about how to buy gemstone beads)
      TBA
      BUS3009: SO YOU WANT TO DO CRAFT SHOWS… $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to find craft shows, apply for booth, set up booth,
      market, inventory and the like)
      TBA
      BUS3010: INTERNET MARKETING FOR VERY SMALL BUSINESSES…THAT
      WORKS! $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about affordable strategies very small businesses can do to
      market their websites)
      Tues, 4/5, 6-8pm
      Tues, 6/7, 6-8pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/business/business.htm]

      FIBER ARTS
      BEAD EMBROIDERY
      EMBR1001: Silk Ribbon Embroidery $30.00 instructional fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Look & See: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/embr1001a.jpg
      TBA
      EMBR1002: Stitch and Trim Sampler $30.00 instructional fee,
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Look & See: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/embr1002a.jpg
      TBA
      EMBR1003: Heirloom Jewelry Organizer $40.00 instructional fee,
      ($40.00 deposit reserves space)
      Look & See: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/embr1003a.jpg
      TBA

      BEAD KNITTING
      BK0101: BEGINNING BEAD KNITTING: BEADED SHELL-EDGED NECKLACE BAG
      $30.00 plus $10.00 for instruction book ($40.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Look & See: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/bk0101.jpg
      Student does not have to know how to knit. Teacher will teach
      knitting, if students need to learn.
      Sat, Apr 30, 1-4pm
      BK0151: CHRISTMAS BEADED BAG EARRINGS
      TBA
      BK0201: LOOP-FRINGE NECKLACE BAG WITH FRAME ($30.00 instructional
      fee, plus $10.00 for instructional book, if student has not already
      purchased it in BK0101. Deposit is fee (30.00) plus book (10.00),
      if need book as well)
      Student must know how to knit.
      Sat, May 14, 1-4pm
      BK0301: STRAIGHT-EDGE OVER-NETTING NECKLACE BAG WITH FRAME
      TBA

      HEMP, MACRAME, KNOTS, BRAIDING WITH BEADS
      TBA

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      GENERAL JEWELRY DESIGN CO-CURRICULAR COURSES

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Any 3 other beginning classes in bead stringing, wire work or
      bead weaving
      4. Introduction to Color
      5. Jewelry Design 1: Principles of Composition
      6. Jewelry Design 2: Form and Function

      Electives
      Color, Texture, Pattern in Design
      Design with Computer Programs
      Stitch of the Month
      Advanced Study Group
      Design Elements: Strap, Fringe, Edge, Surface Embellishment

      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn some color theory, how to use the color wheel to define color
      schemes, and how to successfully apply color schemes to bead work in
      order to evoke positive emotions and sensibilities)
      Thurs, 4/14, 9am-noon
      Tues, 6/14, 6-9pm
      GEN6002: COLOR, TEXTURE, PATTERN, MATERIALS IN DESIGN $45.00 fee
      ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to interrelate and manipulate colors, textures, patterns
      and materials in design)
      TBA
      GEN6005: DESIGN WITH COMPUTER PROGRAMS $45.00 fee ($45.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to run the Bead Cellar program to create patterns for
      loom or peyote, using delicas or seed beads)
      TBA
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn 10 principles of jewelry design, and critique various
      finished necklaces, in terms of these principles)
      Tues, 4/12, 9am-11am
      GEN6007: DESIGN ELEMENTS: STRAP, FRINGE, EDGE, SURFACE
      EMBELLISHMENT $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn theories and applications concerning the use of and the
      choice of straps, fringes, edge and surface embellishments)
      TBA
      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN II: FORM AND FUNCTION $45.00 fee
      ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about jewelry from a more architectural and engineering
      focus – how to create support systems which allow for movement; how
      the placement of forms, connectors and objects within a piece
      impacts socio-cultural-cognitive impressions)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/general/general.htm]

      WIRE WORK AND WIRE WRAP COURSES

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Orientation to Wire and Wire Shaping
      4. Design Your Own Clasps
      5. Design Your Own Earrings
      6. Introduction to Chain Making
      7. Wire Wrapping Introduction – Crystal Wrap and Cabochon

      Electives:
      Wire Structure – Cuff Bracelet
      Beads and Chain – Victorian Choker
      Snake Chain
      Wire Work Rings
      Wire Wrap Ring
      Charm Bracelet
      Egyptian Spiral Chain
      Queens Link Chain
      Make A Rosary
      Wire Artists Critique (Advanced course, requires having taken at
      least 5 wire courses)

      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space) There is a $5.00 kit of wire for
      this class, as well.
      (Learn about wire and shaping wire)
      (This (or its equivalent) is a prerequisite for all other wire
      classes)
      Wed, 4/20, 6-8:30pm
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE – CUFF BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about using wire as a structural component)
      Wed, 4/27, 6-9pm
      WIRE9003: WIRE WORK RINGS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn to make designs using wire, and incorporating these into
      rings)
      TBA
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND BEADS – VICTORIAN CHOKER $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make bead chain, and incorporate this into jewelry design)
      Sat, 4/30, 1-4pm
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to use the structural properties of wire to create settings
      for stones)
      TBA
      WIRE9007: WIRE WRAP RING W/CABOCHON SETTING $35.00 fee ($35.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to use the structural properties of wire to create a ring
      with a stone setting)
      TBA
      WIRE9008: WIRE WRAP CRITIQUE OF WIRE ARTISTS' WORK $35.00 fee
      ($35.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9101: INTRODUCTION TO CHAIN MAKING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn the basis of chain making using wire, and practice making an
      assortment of chain and bead-chain techniques)
      Sat, 4/9, 1-4pm
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      Kit for woman's size; $30.00 supplies kit for man's size ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make a snake chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make a queens link chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to make a simple chain using wire, and how to embellish this
      chain using beads, charms and other pieces)
      Sat, 4/23, 1-4pm
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to make an Egyptian spiral chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9115: MAKE A ROSARY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn to make a bead chain)
      TBA
      WIRE9201: DESIGN YOUR OWN CLASPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to use wire to make different kinds of clasps for necklaces
      and bracelets)
      Wed, 4/13, 6-9pm
      WIRE9202: DESIGN YOUR OWN EARRINGS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to use wire to create earring findings and dangles, including
      using chains as dangles)
      Wed, 4/6, 6-9pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/wirework/wirework.htm]

      LAMPWORKING AND FUSED GLASS COURSES:

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at James Jones Studios. Call 615-
      292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $325.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is a 2 full
      Day (9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This class
      is
      taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Fused Glass
      Classes offered by Sylvanye Roh. Call 615-292-0610

      FG7101: INTRODUCTION TO FUSED GLASS MAKING ($150.00 instructional
      fee, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      LOOK & SEE: www.landofodds.com/beadschool/images/fg7101.jpg
      Sat, May 28, 9am-3pm
      FG7102: INTERMEDIATE FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00 instructional
      fee, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      FG7103: 2nd INTERMEDIATE FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00
      instructional, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      FG7104: ADVANCED FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00 instructional fee,
      $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      SILVERSMITHING COURSES

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of
      when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at James Jones Studios. Call 615-
      292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $400.00 ($125.00 deposit). This involves six
      3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a week). There is
      also some homework assigned. This class is taught with only 1 or 2
      students.

      WORKSHOPS
      For more information, please visit our web-site at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and
      workshops, please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link. Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view
      option above the small image of the month on the top right of the
      page, for a better view of what's happening. If you have difficulty
      signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a new member, you can
      email us your email address, and we'll do it from our end.
      beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and –
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses.

      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
      CLIP THIS
      TEMPORARY BEAD ARTIST DISCOUNT CARD

      For use at
      Be Dazzled Beads
      Voted #3 Best Bead Shop In America in survey by jsbeads.com
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      www.bedazzledbeads.com

      15% off when your total purchase is between $25.00 and $74.99
      20% off when your total purchase is over $75.00

      Courtesy of The Center For Beadwork & Jewelry Arts