CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS: Mon, 11/1 thru Sun, 12/5

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      A School With A Different Approach
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...
      calendar and announcements:

      ()-()-(cut here)-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      GOOD THRU November 11, 2004 With This Coupon

      SPECIALS THIS MONTH AT BE DAZZLED BEADS
      With This Coupon
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610

      DISCOUNTS WITH THIS COUPON: 30% off all bone, horn and gemstone
      pendants set in silver-plated and gold-plated brass settings from
      India.

      WHAT'S NEW: Gunmetal finish findings: jump ring, split ring,
      lobster claw, barrel clasp, head pins, eye pins, hook/eye clasp,
      French ear wire. Gold-plated and nickel-plated lever-back ear
      wires. Lots of styles and colors of hurricane glass beads –
      leaves, bicones, cubes. Tissue bags (drawstring pouches) in 3x4"
      and 5x4" sizes in grey, purple, red and mauve. Great packaging for
      gifts and sales.

      GOOD THRU November 11, 2004 With This Coupon
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      ()-()-(cut here)-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      NEXT Stitch of the Month -- Learn the right angle weave stitch
      Sat, Nov 6, 10am-noon

      NEW BEAD DIRECTORY
      If you are selling your pieces, you may want to add your name to the
      Bead Artist section of this new directory UrbanBeads.
      http://www.urbanbeads.com/

      WE NEED A PEARL KNOTTING TEACHER—Anyone Interested?

      BEADING CLOTCH
      2nd and 4th Wednesday of each Month
      We've set aside the afternoons (noon to 3pm or later) on the 2nd and
      4th Wednesdays of each month, (and if there's a 5th Wednesday, on
      that day, too), for an open-ended Beading Clotch. Anyone may come,
      bring whatever projects they are working on, and work on them, share
      them, whatever. This is totally open-ended. No fees.

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further. Looking for teachers with experience in the following areas:
      wire-wrapping
      hemp
      fiber arts and beads, bead knitting, bead and cloth embellishment
      brick stitch
      peyote stitch for intermediate and advanced classes
      loomwork for intermediate and advanced classes
      pearl knotting

      THE UGLY NECKLACE CONTEST: Deadline March 15, 2005
      Read the rules for the 2005 The Ugly Necklace contest at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/uglynecklace.htm

      ALL DOLLED UP: BEADED ART DOLL COMPETITION. Vote 10/15/04 thru
      1/15/05. Announcement for 2nd Annual All Dolled Up: Beaded Art Doll
      Competition to be sent this fall. (Deadline August 15th, 2005)
      For more information, visit our web-site:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/alldolledup.htm
      GO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/alldolledupcontest.htm
      These dolls are on display at Be Dazzled Beads – Open Window Gallery
      beginning October 7th, 2004.
      Next Year's theme is: "Over the Rainbow".

      WHAT'S NEW @ The Open Window Gallery – Fine Art Jewelry and More
      O Display of Beaded Art Dolls
      O Photographic art work by Ellen Sutherland
      O "Emma Valentine"
      O Pott Nash and Stevie Kelly
      O Sylvanye Roh fused glass
      O Bead crochet and other bead-woven pieces by Kathleen Lynam
      O Gemstone and Lampwork Glass jewelry by James Alfred Jones

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS!
      All it takes is 3 people to make special arrangements for any of
      our classes. Just let us know your interests in specific courses,
      the time the three or more of you would like to meet, and we'll
      coordinate scheduling with the teacher.

      -------

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, Nov 1, 2004 through Sun, Dec 5, 2004

      PLEASE PRE-REGISTER FOR CLASSES AT LEAST 3-5 DAYS AHEAD OF TIME

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge. When registering, a deposit is
      required. You may pay this with a credit card, check or cash. If you
      are registering by phone, you may pay with a credit card, or mail in
      a check. Deposits are nonrefundable. If you need to purchase your
      supplies and tools, please come a little earlier than the start time
      of the class, so you can finish purchasing what you need before the
      class begins. You'll find all these details posted on-line on the
      CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      ORIENTATION TO BEADS AND JEWELRY FINDINGS Course
      You need this course if:
      - You don't know what the differences in quality are between
      glass beads made in the Czech Republic, in Japan, in China and in
      India -- what are you really buying, how long will these beads
      last, how well will they work in your particular project?
      - You don't know the differences between 14KT gold plate over brass
      (gold-filled), 14KT gold plate over silver (vermeil), and Hamilton
      Gold Plate over brass, aluminum, steel, pot metal or copper, and
      what will likely happen to the plating over the next 3-6 months, 1-3
      years, and 5 years
      - You don't know what the differences are between "druks" and "fire
      polish" beads
      - You don't know how to tell crystal beads made in Austrian (top of
      the line) from those made in the Czech Republic and China (things
      often substituted, but of a lower quality)
      - You are unfamiliar with the history of beads, and how the Ogalala
      Sioux, the Pope, Zulu tribes, the
      French/Italians/Czech/African/Persian/North American bead
      interactions, and the shoe industry in America have influenced how
      you use beads today
      - You don't know the differences between seed beads and delicas,
      what the differences are between 12/0 and 11/0 delicas, and that
      seed beads come in many shapes, including Magatamas, Mini Fringe
      Drops, Twists, Bugles, Cubes, Triangles, Niblettes, to name some
      - You are unfamiliar with appropriate choices for stringing
      materials, jewelry findings and tools

      The Orientation course is 2 hours. Best of all, the orientation
      course is free.

      Fri, 11/5, 9:30-11:30am
      Tues, 11/9, 6-8pm
      Fri, 11/12, 9:30-11:30am
      Thurs, 11/18, 6-8pm
      Fri, 11/19, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 11/26, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 12/3, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 12/10, 9:30-11:30am
      Tues, 12/14, 6-8pm
      Fri, 12/17, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 12/24, 9:30-11:30am
      Fri, 12/31, 9:30-11:30am

      This is taught with 1 student or more than 1 -- it does not matter.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientat
      ion/orient.htm]

      STUDENTS WHO BEGIN OUR PROGRAM USUALLY TAKE THESE COURSES AFTER
      TAKING THE ORIENTATION CLASS:

      If interested in Bead Stringing:
      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING AND ATTACHING CLASPS
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING

      If interested in Bead Weaving:
      STITCH OF THE MONTH – Join this class at any point in the 12-part
      sequence. The first session is repeated every couple months.
      BW2495 RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET
      LOOM2020 INTRODUCTION TO THE LOOM
      PEY2002 LEARN TO PEYOTE
      BW2002: FRINGED TULIP BAG
      BC0101: INTRODUCTION TO BEAD CROCHET

      If interested in Wire Work Jewelry:
      WIRE9001 Orientation to Wire (offered the 2nd Saturday of each
      month)
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE – CUFF BRACELET
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND BEADS – VICTORIAN CHOKER
      WIRE9101: INTRODUCTION TO CHAIN MAKING
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP

      STITCH OF THE MONTH
      Instructor: Caren Johnson

      Meets 1st Sat morning and one weekday evening each month.

      The Stitch of the Month curriculum is designed to teach 12 major
      bead-weaving stitches/techniques in a comparative context. This is
      perhaps one of the best ways to learn bead weaving. You get a
      clearer understanding of what each stitch is, how to manage and
      control it, and what your project and design options are, when you
      learn them comparatively, rather than in isolation from each other.

      Each class is devoted to explaining a little of the history of the
      stitch and the how-to basics of doing the stitch. Students then
      practice with variations on the stitch, such as
      increasing/decreasing, flat vs. tubular vs. circular, and the like.
      Students are guided in planning a sampler, using the stitch.

      Students create samplers of each stitch or technique, and combine
      these either in a shadow box display, or as a quilt wall hanging, or
      as individual sampler hanging tapestries.

      Students may join the class at any point in the 12-month cycle. You
      may do all of the classes, or only some of them, as you desire. The
      first class is repeated every 2-3 months. If you miss a class, it
      will be repeated in the next cycle.

      The Twelve Sessions (June begins cycle)
      1. Beadweaving Primer. This session then introduces The Square
      Stitch.(This session is repeated every 2-3 months)
      Wed, 1/19/05, 6-8pm
      Wed, 3/16/05, 6-8pm
      2. The Herring Bone Stitch (also known as the Ndebele Stitch)
      TBA
      3. The Peyote Stitch
      TBA
      4. The Brick Stitch
      TBA
      5. The Loom
      TBA
      6. Right Angle Weave Stitch
      Sat, 11/6, 10am-noon
      Mon, 11/15, 6-8pm
      7. Chevron Stitch
      Sat, 12/4, 10am-noon
      Mon, 12/13, 6-8pm
      8. Netting
      Sat, 1/8, 10am-noon (2nd Saturday this month)
      Mon, 1/17, 6-8pm
      9. Fringe Techniques
      Sat, 2/5/05, 10am-noon
      Mon, 2/14/05, 6-8pm
      10. Bead Embroidery Techniques
      Sat, 3/5/05, 10am-noon
      Mon, 3/14/05, 6-8pm
      11. Spiral Rope Strap Techniques
      Sat, 4/2/05, 10am-noon
      Mon, 4/18/05, 6-8pm
      12. St. Petersburg Chain Strap Techniques
      Sat, 5/17/05, 10am-noon
      Mon, 5/16/05, 6-8pm

      ADVANCED STUDY GROUPS

      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm No fees.

      A second evening group meets the 1st Tuesday of each month from 6-
      9pm.

      Let Warren know if you are interested in participating in either
      group. 615-292-0610 or warren@...

      You may join the group at anytime. The purposes of the group are
      manifold, including to explore new methods of beading, to experiment
      with variations on traditional techniques, and to study culture-
      specific beading techniques.

      AUGUST 2004 thru AUGUST 2005, a year long study into the art and
      artistry of bead weaver Cynthia Rutledge:
      HOW TO BEAD A ROGUE ELEPHANT:
      WANDERING THE PATHS OF THE BEAD ARTIST – Cynthia Rutledge

      Next bead studies:
      Wed, Nov 3 and Nov 17, 1-3pm
      or,
      Tues, Nov 2, 6-9pm

      In September, and for the next several months, we will continue with
      The Garden Urn, as well as do projects from several bead weaving
      artists who were an important part of the field between the years
      1990 and 1995, leading up to the inauguration of Bead & Button
      magazine. We will compare and contrast these projects with each
      other, and with the work of Cynthia Rutledge. Some of the bead
      artists we will be reviewing include:

      Alice Korach
      Diane Fitzgerald
      Sandy Forrington
      Nan C Meinhardt
      Salley Gauthier
      Sue Jackson and Wendy Hubrick
      Virginia Blakelock
      Carol Perrenoud
      Carol Wilcox Wells
      David Chatt
      Marcie Stone
      Wendy Ellsworth
      Jeannette Cook
      …among others

      Current Projects:
      The Garden Urn by Cynthia Rutledge
      Some folks are finished; others in the middle; others still at
      the beginning. Suggestion to recreate part of the urn using
      15/0's, and seeing if this changes any of our perceptions and
      feelings about the piece and the strengths and weaknesses of the
      techniques

      Cuffed Basket by Carol Wilcox Wells
      (p. 130 in her book Creative Bead Weaving)

      Both of these are 3-dimensional peyote projects that use
      increasing/decreasing. They use different strategies of
      increasing/decreasing.
      Issues about technique that we are exploring, include:
      - one method leaves some gaps between beads, other method does not
      - does one method create a stiffer, more structurally sound piece
      - if we used seed beads, say 15/0s, rather than delicas, would this
      change the points made in our discussions

      I also want to start moving into discussions about two other bead
      weavers who were important during the Bead Weaving period 1990-1995:
      David Chatt
      Nan C Meinhart

      See if you can do some on-line research and some book research into
      the backgrounds of these two bead weavers, especially around 1990.
      What kinds of projects were they doing? What techniques were they
      using? What workshops were they teaching? Can you find any
      projects of theirs that seem to date from around that period of
      time? Can you find copies of any of their instructions?

      After these, I want to begin to cover Marcie Stone.

      You may also register for the BeadStudy group under Yahoo where
      summaries of the discussions will be sent to group members, and you
      may continue the discussions on line. Summaries of all discussions
      and all handouts are archived here for you, as well.

      ELECTIVES
      If you would like to take any class listed on our web-site, but not
      in the schedule, please call Warren (615-292-0610), and we'll see if
      we can arrange a time for you.

      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also, you
      may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing out
      of
      prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      BEAD STRINGING

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps

      Electives
      Pearl Knotting
      Fringed Tulip Bag or Fringes and Straps
      Also, check out the Jewelry Design classes below
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Usually offered the 2nd Saturday and 3rd Tuesday of each month. See
      dates below.)
      (Learn both needle/thread and crimp/flexwire approaches to stringing
      beads; pros and cons of various types of clasps; insights about
      stringing beads from an expert)
      Sat, 11/13, 9am-noon
      Tues, 11/16, 9am-noon
      Sat, 12/11, 9am-noon
      Tues, 12/21, 9am-noon
      Sat, 1/15/05, 9am-noon

      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn this simple, straightforward technique. No special tools
      required)
      Offered 4th Tuesday of the month
      Tues, 11/23, 9am-noon
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      peyote stitch, loomwork, ndebele stitch, right angle weave, brick
      stitch, other stitches, fringe/strap/edge and other elements of
      design, plus Advanced Study Groups(1st and 3rd Wednesdays; also 1st
      Tuesday evening), Stitch of the Month, and the Wednesday afternoon
      Beading Clotch (2nd and 4th Wednesdays)

      BW2001: BASICS OF BEADWEAVING $30.00 fee, ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Similar to the 1st Session of Stitch of the Month)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Design Elements:

      BW2002: FRINGE, STRAP, EDGE I: FRINGED TULIP BAG $35.00 fee ($35.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn 3 different ways to finish off a line of beads)
      Sat, 11/6, 1-3pm
      BW2003: FRINGES AND STRAPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (learn different techniques for making fringes and straps)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      The LOOM:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Basics of Beadweaving
      4. LOOM2020: Introduction to Loomwork

      Electives
      Fringed Tulip Bag or Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Other loom and bead weaving classes listed in catalog
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      LOOM2020: INTRODUCTION TO LOOMWORK $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to warp a loom, and create a simple piece of loomwork)
      Tues, 11/2, 9am-noon
      Tues, 12/7, 9am-noon

      BEAD WEAVING:
      PEYOTE STITCH:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. BW2001: BASICS OF BEADWEAVING
      4. PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE
      5. PEY2011: Tubular Peyote

      Electives
      Fringed Tulip Bag or Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Other bead weaving classes listed in catalog
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE-SIMPLE AMULET BAG W/STRAP $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 11/10, 6-8pm
      Wed, 12/8, 6-8pm
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE – INTERMEDIATE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee
      ($40.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 11/9, 9am-noon
      Tues, 12/14, 9am-noon

      BEAD WEAVING
      Bead Crochet
      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. BC0101: Introduction to Bead Crochet
      4. BC2001: BASICS OF BEAD WEAVING
      5. BC0102: Intermediate Bead Crochet

      BC0101: INTRODUCTION TO BEAD CROCHET: $40.00 instructional fee
      ($40.00 deposit reserves space) (3 hour class plus 1 additional
      hour to be scheduled by teacher and students)
      Sat, 12/4, 9am-noon
      BC0101B: FINISHING OFF YOUR BEAD CROCHET ROPE – A FOLLOW-UP TO
      BC0101 CLASS $10.00 instructional fee ($10.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Sat, 11/20, 1-2:30pm
      BC0102: INTERMEDIATE BEAD CROCHET CLASS: $30.00 instructional fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 11/20, 9am-noon

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Miscellaneous Stitches:

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Right Angle Weave Bracelet
      4. Basics of Beadweaving
      5. Fringed Tulip Bag or Fringes and Straps

      Electives
      Any bead weaving class
      Fringes and Straps
      Stitch of the Month
      Join an Advanced Study Group

      BW2490: ETERNAL GARDEN BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 kit of
      beads ($40.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 12/6, 6-9pm
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Offered 2nd Tuesday of the month
      Tues, 11/30, 9am-noon

      BEADING/JEWELRY MAKING AS A BUSINESS

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Getting Your Jewelry Making Business Started
      2. Pricing and Selling Your Jewelry
      3. Internet Marketing for Very Small Businesses…That Works!

      Electives:
      So You Want To Do Craft Shows
      Buying Gemstone Beads

      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to apply a formula for determining a fair retail price and a
      fair wholesale price; learn basics of marketing process)
      Tues, 11/16, 6-8pm
      Tues, 12/21, 6-8pm
      Tues, 1/25/05, 6-8pm
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about local, state and federal requirements/forms; simple
      bookkeeping set up to track costs and revenues; defining business
      model)
      Tues, 11/30, 6-8pm
      Tues, 1/18/05, 6-8pm
      Tues, 2/22/05, 6-8pm
      BUS3008: BUYING GEMSTONE BEADS $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn insights about how to buy gemstone beads)
      Tues, 2/15/05, 6-8pm

      BUS3009: SO YOU WANT TO DO CRAFT SHOWS… $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to find craft shows, apply for booth, set up booth,
      market, inventory and the like)
      Tues, 11/23, 6-8pm
      BUS3010: INTERNET MARKETING FOR VERY SMALL BUSINESSES…THAT
      WORKS! $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about affordable strategies very small businesses can do to
      market their websites)
      Wed, 11/17, 10am-noon
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/business/business.htm]

      POLYMER CLAY
      Classes to be announced.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/clay/clay.htm]

      PRECIOUS METAL CLAY
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      Kit of clay available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      TBA

      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification, as well as
      Crossover Certifications for those certified by Rio or Art Clay
      Silver. Please inquire about scheduled dates. We strongly suggest
      either taking the CLAYMT4001 Intro class, or buying one of the PMC+
      books and work with the clay a bit, before beginning the
      certification. The Certification will allow you to buy the clay
      at discounted rates. It will allow you to teach metal clay.
      Next dates:
      TBA

      FIBER ARTS
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      GENERAL JEWELRY DESIGN CO-CURRICULAR COURSES

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Any 3 other beginning classes in bead stringing, wire work or
      bead weaving
      4. Introduction to Color
      5. Jewelry Design 1: Principles of Composition
      6. Jewelry Design 2: Form and Function

      Electives
      Color, Texture, Pattern in Design
      Design with Computer Programs
      Stitch of the Month
      Advanced Study Group
      Design Elements: Strap, Fringe, Edge, Surface Embellishment

      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn some color theory, how to use the color wheel to define color
      schemes, and how to successfully apply color schemes to bead work in
      order to evoke positive emotions and sensibilities)
      Wed, 12/8, 9am-noon
      Wed, 2/23/05, 6-9pm
      GEN6002: COLOR, TEXTURE, PATTERN, MATERIALS IN DESIGN $45.00 fee
      ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to interrelate and manipulate colors, textures, patterns
      and materials in design)
      TBA
      GEN6005: DESIGN WITH COMPUTER PROGRAMS $45.00 fee ($45.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn how to run the Bead Cellar program to create patterns for
      loom or peyote, using delicas or seed beads)
      TBA
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn 10 principles of jewelry design, and critique various
      finished necklaces, in terms of these principles)
      Thurs, 12/2, 6-8pm
      Wed, 1/26/05, 10am-noon
      GEN6007: DESIGN ELEMENTS: STRAP, FRINGE, EDGE, SURFACE
      EMBELLISHMENT $45.00 fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn theories and applications concerning the use of and the
      choice of straps, fringes, edge and surface embellishments)
      TBA
      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN II: FORM AND FUNCTION $45.00 fee
      ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about jewelry from a more architectural and engineering
      focus – how to create support systems which allow for movement; how
      the placement of forms, connectors and objects within a piece
      impacts socio-cultural-cognitive impressions)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/general/general.htm]

      WIRE WORK AND WIRE WRAP COURSES

      SEQUENCE YOUR CORE CLASSES:
      1. Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings
      2. Attaching Clasps
      3. Orientation to Wire and Wire Shaping
      4. Introduction to Chain Making
      5. Wire Wrapping Introduction – Crystal Wrap and Cabochon

      Electives:
      Wire Structure – Cuff Bracelet
      Beads and Chain – Victorian Choker
      Snake Chain
      Wire Work Rings
      Wire Wrap Ring
      Charm Bracelet
      Egyptian Spiral Chain
      Queens Link Chain
      Make A Rosary
      Wire Artists Critique (Advanced course, requires having taken at
      least 5 wire courses)

      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space) There is a $5.00 kit of wire for
      this class, as well.
      (Learn about wire and shaping wire)
      (This (or its equivalent) is a prerequisite for all other wire
      classes)
      Sat, 11/13, 1-3:30
      Wed, 12/29, 6-8:30pm
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE – CUFF BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn about using wire as a structural component)
      Sat, 11/27, 10am-1pm
      Wed, 12/22, 6-9pm
      WIRE9003: WIRE WORK RINGS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn to make designs using wire, and incorporating these into
      rings)
      TBA
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND BEADS – VICTORIAN CHOKER $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make bead chain, and incorporate this into jewelry design)
      Wed, 12/1, 6-9pm
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to use the structural properties of wire to create settings
      for stones)
      Sat, Dec 12, 1-4pm
      WIRE9007: WIRE WRAP RING W/CABOCHON SETTING $35.00 fee ($35.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to use the structural properties of wire to create a ring
      with a stone setting)
      TBA
      WIRE9008: WIRE WRAP CRITIQUE OF WIRE ARTISTS' WORK $35.00 fee
      ($35.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9101: INTRODUCTION TO CHAIN MAKING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn the basis of chain making using wire, and practice making an
      assortment of chain and bead-chain techniques)
      Wed, 11/10, 6-9pm
      Wed, 12/8, 6-9pm
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      Kit for woman's size; $30.00 supplies kit for man's size ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make a snake chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      (Learn to make a queens link chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to make a simple chain using wire, and how to embellish this
      chain using beads, charms and other pieces)
      Sat, 12/18, 10am-1pm
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      (Learn to make an Egyptian spiral chain using wire)
      TBA
      WIRE9115: MAKE A ROSARY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      (Learn to make a bead chain)
      Sat, 12/4, 2-5pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/wirework/wirework.htm]

      LAMPWORKING AND FUSED GLASS COURSES:

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at James Jones Studios. Call 615-
      292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $325.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is a 2 full
      Day (9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This class
      is
      taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Fused Glass
      Classes offered by Sylvanye Roh. Call 615-292-0610
      FG7101: INTRODUCTION TO FUSED GLASS MAKING ($150.00 instructional
      fee, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      FG7102: INTERMEDIATE FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00 instructional
      fee, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 12/4, 12pm-6pm
      FG7103: 2nd INTERMEDIATE FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00
      instructional, $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      FG7104: ADVANCED FUSED GLASS CLASS ($150.00 instructional fee,
      $115.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      SILVERSMITHING COURSES

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of
      when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at James Jones Studios. Call 615-
      292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $400.00 ($125.00 deposit). This involves six
      3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a week). There is
      also some homework assigned. This class is taught with only 1 or 2
      students.

      WORKSHOPS
      For more information, please visit our web-site at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and
      workshops, please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link. Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view
      option above the small image of the month on the top right of the
      page, for a better view of what's happening. If you have difficulty
      signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a new member, you can
      email us your email address, and we'll do it from our end.
      beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and –
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses.

      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
      CLIP THIS
      TEMPORARY BEAD ARTIST DISCOUNT CARD

      For use at
      Be Dazzled Beads
      Voted #3 Best Bead Shop In America in survey by jsbeads.com
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      www.bedazzledbeads.com

      15% off when your total purchase is between $25.00 and $74.99
      20% off when your total purchase is over $75.00

      Courtesy of The Center For Beadwork & Jewelry Arts