CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS: Mon, 12/1 thru Sun, 1/11

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      A School With A Different Approach
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...
      calendar and announcements:

      ()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      GOOD THRU Dec 12th, 2003 With This Coupon

      SPECIALS THIS MONTH AT BE DAZZLED BEADS
      With This Coupon
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610

      WIN A 50% OFF EVERYTHING! SHOPPING SPREE DAY AT BE DAZZLED BEADS!!!

      All you have to do is be the first person to find
      anything in the store – beads, pendants, findings – that is the
      color "CHROUST"

      A few ground rules:
      a) You must cut out this coupon and bring it with you
      b) You may not ask any of the existing or former staff at Be Dazzled
      where to find these in the shop
      c) You may not be an existing or former staff of Be Dazzled Beads
      d) Contest starts immediately (as of 11/19/03) and ends December
      12th, 2003
      e) If you win, you may reserve any particular date for your shopping
      spree, between 11/19/03 and 2/28/04

      LOOKING FOR A GREAT, INEXPENSIVE HOLIDAY GIFT? Give a SUNSHINE
      CLOTH for polishing sterling silver jewelry………

      GOOD THRU Dec 12th, 2003 With This Coupon
      CLIP THIS COUPON FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS
      ()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      We will be closed Thurs, 12/25 and Thursday, 1/1/04 for Christmas
      and New Years. We will be close at 4pm on Wed, 12/24 and Wed,
      12/31.

      NEW CLASSES:
      BEAD CROCHET CLASS: Saturday, Dec 20, 9am-noon. $30.00
      instructional fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Instructor: Kathleen Lynam. If interested, please register at Be
      Dazzled Beads by phone or in person at the shop.

      SO YOU WANT TO DO CRAFT SHOWS…: Tues, 12/16, 6-8pm. $25.00
      instructional fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Instructor: Warren Feld.

      INTERNET MARKETING FOR VERY SMALL BUSINESSES…THAT WORKS!: Wed,
      12/10, 6-8pm. $25.00 instructional fee ($25.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Instructor: Warren Feld

      MIDDLE TENNESSEE GEM & MINERAL SOCIETY
      23nd ANNUAL "EARTH TREASURES"
      Jewelry, Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show
      Sat, 12/13, 9am-6pm and Sun, 12/14, 10am-5pm
      Tennessee State Fairgrounds
      Creative Arts Building
      Nashville, TN
      Admission: Adults $2.00, Childer $0.50. Under 12 free w/adult
      www.mtgms.org

      THE WINNER IS…
      Haley Sims of Franklin, TN was the most recent winner of Be Dazzled
      Beads' BEAD JAR! Congrats.

      INTERGALACTIC BEAD SHOW:
      Sat, Apr 3, 10:00am-5pm, and Sun, Apr 4, 10:00am-5pm. You can pick
      up a $2.00 off Admission coupon at Be Dazzled Beads, or print one
      off on-line at http://www.landofodds.com/store/ibscoupon.htm .

      BEAD EXPO: Santa Fe, New Mexico
      March 17-21, 2004
      info@...
      www.beadexpo.com
      This expo is jam-packed with workshops, a huge bead bazaar and a
      symposium. You will need to preregister for the workshops to
      guarantee a place.

      Looking for sterling silver tags with your logo or name to add to
      your jewelry? Check out: Microstamp Corporation,
      www.microstampusa.com 800-243-3543

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further. Looking for teachers with experience in the following areas:
      wire-wrapping
      hemp
      fiber arts and beads
      brick stitch
      peyote stitch for intermediate and advanced classes
      loomwork

      THE SECOND ANNUAL THE UGLY NECKLACE CONTEST
      A Jewelry Design Competition With A Twist
      Deadline: March 15, 2004
      For rules, deadlines and examples, please visit:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/uglynecklace.htm

      ALL DOLLED UP: BEADED ART DOLL COMPETITION. Entries due by August
      1, 2004. For more information, visit our web-site:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/alldolledup.htm

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS!
      All it takes is 3 people to make special arrangements for any of
      our classes. Just let us know your interests in specific courses,
      the time the three or more of you would like to meet, and we'll
      coordinate scheduling with the teacher.

      -------

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, Dec 1, 2003 through Sun, Jan 11, 2004

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge. When registering, a deposit is
      required. You may pay this with a credit card, check or cash. If you
      are registering by phone, you may pay with a credit card, or mail in
      a check. Deposits are nonrefundable. If you need to purchase your
      supplies and tools, please come a little earlier than the start time
      of the class, so you can finish purchasing what you need before the
      class begins. You'll find all these details posted on-line on the
      CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings Course
      You need this course if:
      - You don't know what the differences in quality are between
      glass beads made in the Czech Republic, in Japan, in China and in
      India -- what are you really buying, how long will these beads
      last, how well will they work in your particular project?
      - You don't know the differences between 14KT gold plate over brass
      (gold-filled), 14KT gold plate over silver (vermeil), and Hamilton
      Gold Plate over brass, aluminum, steel, pot metal or copper, and
      what will likely happen to the plating over the next 3-6 months, 1-3
      years, and 5 years
      - You don't know what the differences are between "druks" and "fire
      polish" beads
      - You don't know how to tell crystal beads made in Austrian (top of
      the line) from those made in the Czech Republic and China (things
      often substituted, but of a lower quality)
      - You are unfamiliar with the history of beads, and how the Ogalala
      Sioux, the Pope, Zulu tribes, the
      French/Italians/Czech/African/Persian/North American bead
      interactions, and the shoe industry in America have influenced how
      you use beads today
      - You don't know the differences between seed beads and delicas,
      what the differences are between 12/0 and 11/0 delicas, and that
      seed beads come in many shapes, including Magatamas, Mini Fringe
      Drops, Twists, Bugles, Cubes, Triangles, Niblettes, to name some
      - You are unfamiliar with appropriate choices for stringing
      materials, jewelry findings and tools

      The Orientation course is 2 hours. Best of all, the orientation
      course is free.

      ORIENTATION: Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings, no fees, 2
      hours
      You make arrange a time convenient for you, or come in at these pre-
      scheduled times. Please call (615-292-0610)to arrange a convenient
      time for you, or attend one of these prescheduled Orientation class
      sessions:

      Fri, 12/5, 9:30am-11:30am
      Fri, 12/12, 9:30am-11:30am
      Fri, 12/19, 9:30am-11:30am
      No Orientation on Fri, 12/26
      No Orientation on Fri, 1/2/04
      Fri, 1/9, 9:30am-11:30am
      Fri, 1/16, 9:30am-11:30am
      Fri, 1/23, 9:30am-11:30am
      Fri, 1/30, 9:30am-11:30am

      Or call and arrange a convenient time...This is taught with 1
      student or more than 1 -- it does not matter. [for more information,
      go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientat
      ion/orient.htm]

      Core Courses [These are prerequisites for many of
      our courses. The Attaching Clasps course is an excellent
      introduction for both bead stringing and bead weaving, and teaches
      both needle/thread and cable wire/crimps techniques for finishing
      off your pieces.]

      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 12/6, 9am-noon
      Tues, 12/16, 1-4pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/core/cor
      e.htm]

      Other beginning courses include:
      BW2002 Fringed Tulip Bag
      BW2001: Needle & Thread I
      WIRE9001 Orientation to Wire
      BW2495 Right Angle Weave Bracelet
      BS0003 Pearl Knotting

      Advanced Study Groups
      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm No fees. You may join the group at anytime.

      Wed, Dec 17, 1-3pm: Holiday party for Advanced Study participants
      at the home of Ellen Sutherland

      Advanced Study takes a winter break, and will resume in February,
      2004

      ELECTIVES
      If you would like to take any class listed on our web-site, but not
      in the schedule, please call Warren (615-292-0610), and we'll see if
      we can arrange a time for you.

      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also, you
      may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing out
      of
      prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      Bead Stringing
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      peyote stitch, loomwork, ndebele stitch, right angle weave, brick
      stitch, other stitches, fringe/strap/edge and other elements of
      design, plus Advanced Study Groups)
      BW2001: Needle & Thread I (Brick Stitch Earrings) $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Design Elements:
      BW2002: FRINGE, STRAP, EDGE I: FRINGED TULIP BAG $35.00 fee ($35.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      The LOOM:

      BEAD WEAVING:
      PEYOTE STITCH:
      PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE - SIMPLE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Miscellaneous Stitches:
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA

      STITCH OF THE MONTH $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      The instructor of this class sequence has left us, so we've put this
      Stitch of the Month curriculum on hiatus for awhile.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/s
      titch.htm]

      Beading/Jewelry Making As A Business
      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      BUS3009: SO YOU WANT TO DO CRAFT SHOWS… $25.00 fee ($25.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 12/16, 6-8pm
      BUS3010: INTERNET MARKETING FOR VERY SMALL BUSINESSES…THAT
      WORKS! $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 12/10, 6-8pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/business/business.htm]

      Polymer Clay
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/clay/clay.htm]

      Precious Metal Clay
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      Kit of clay available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      TBA

      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification, as well as
      Crossover Certifications for those certified by Rio or Art Clay
      Silver. Please inquire
      about scheduled dates.
      Next dates: April 23-25, 2004

      Fiber Arts
      We are developing some courses on Bead Knitting and Bead Knitted
      Bags. If interested, please email us, and we will notify you when
      these classes are scheduled. (warren@...)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]
      BC0101: BEAD CROCHET CLASS: $30.00 instructional fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Instructor: Kathleen Lynam
      Saturday, Dec 20, 9am-noon

      General Jewelry Design Co-Curricular Courses
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      TBA
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/general/general.htm]

      Wire Work and Wire Wrap Courses
      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space) There is a $5.00 kit of wire for
      this class, as well.
      Sat, 12/6, 12noon-2:30pm
      Thurs, 12/18, 6-8:30pm
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      Kit for woman's size; $30.00 supplies kit for man's size ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 12/11, 6-9pm
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9115: MAKE A ROSARY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Monday, 12/22, 6-9pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/wirework/wirework.htm]

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $300.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is a 2 full
      day(9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This class is
      taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of
      when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $350.00 ($125.00 deposit). This involves six
      3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a week). There is
      also some homework assigned. This class is taught with only 1 or 2
      students.

      WORKSHOPS
      For more information, please visit our web-site at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and
      workshops, please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link. Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view
      option above the small image of the month on the top right of the
      page, for a better view of what's happening. If you have difficulty
      signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a new member, you can
      email us your email address, and we'll do it from our end.
      beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and –
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses.

      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
      CLIP THIS
      TEMPORARY BEAD ARTIST DISCOUNT CARD

      For use at
      Be Dazzled Beads
      Voted #3 Best Bead Shop In America in survey by jsbeads.com
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      www.bedazzledbeads.com

      15% off when your total purchase is between $25.00 and $74.99
      20% off when your total purchase is over $75.00

      Courtesy of The Center For Beadwork & Jewelry Arts