CBJA COURSES/HAPPENINGS: Mon 7/14 thru Sun 8/24

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2003
      A School With A Different Approach
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...
      calendar and announcements:

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      Next Stitch of the Month – Sat, Aug 9, 10am-noon.

      CONGRATULATIONS to Kathleen Lynam, from Franklin, TN, Winner of The
      Ugly Necklace Contest, and Natalie Zurawski, from Springfield, IL,
      Runner-Up.

      ALL DOLLED UP: BEADED ART DOLL COMPETITION.
      Call for Entries.
      Land of Odds (http://www.landofodds.com) announces its new annual
      All Dolled Up: Beaded Art Doll Competition. Entries accepted
      between September 1, 2003 and August 15th, 2004.
      Create a Beaded Art Doll by manipulating beads and forms into an
      imaginative tactile and visual 3-dimensional representation of this
      year's theme: THE FIVE SEASONS.
      The First Annual ALL DOLLED UP: BEADED ART DOLL COMPETITION is
      offering a first prize of a $1000.00 shopping spree on the Land of
      Odds web-site (http://www.landofodds.com), and a Runner-Up prize of
      a $400.00 shopping spree on the web-site.
      The Seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, or an As-Yet-Unnamed-
      Season of the Artists choice.
      Entries will be judged by a panel from The Center for Beadwork &
      Jewelry Arts.
      Beaded Art Dolls submitted as entries for this competition may be
      realistic, surrealistic, whimsical or imaginary. They may be
      humanistic, animalistic, caricatures, cartoons, impressions or
      abstractions. A Beaded Art Doll is a physical representation in
      three dimensions, using human figural and expressive
      characteristics, through the creative use and manipulation of
      beads. Beaded Art Dolls submitted as entries for this competition
      should be immediately recognizable as a "Doll" as defined above.
      That said, the doll may take many forms, including a figure, purse,
      box, vessel, puppet, marionette, or pop-up figure.
      Beaded Art Dolls should be between 8" and 36" in size. They must
      be at least 80% composed of beads.
      The doll's internal form and structure may result from many
      techniques, materials and strategies. The bead stitches themselves
      might be used to create the skeletal structure.

      Visit the web-site for more details:
      http://www.landofodds.com/store/alldolledup.htm

      NEW CLASS:
      WIRE 9115: MAKE A ROSARY. Instructor, Tracey Dooling.
      Thursday, 7/31, 6-9pm.

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further. Looking for teachers with experience in the following areas:
      wire-wrapping
      hemp
      fiber arts and beads
      brick stitch
      peyote stitch for intermediate and advanced classes

      INTERGALACTIC BEAD SHOW:
      Sat, Aug 16, 10:00am-5pm, and Sun, Aug 17, 10:00am-5pm. You can pick
      up a $2.00 off Admission coupon at Be Dazzled Beads, or print one
      off on-line at http://www.landofodds.com/store/ibscoupon.htm .
      Next Show:
      Nov 15-16

      PMC+ LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION: Scheduled for October 17-19 (Fri-
      Sat).
      Full 3-Day Certification Workshop in PMC+ is $375.00.
      NEW: Crossover PMC+ Certification – A Saturday only workshop on
      October 18th, open to anyone who has already been certified in any
      Rio Grande Track Level I Certified Artisan Program, or to anyone
      certified in Art Clay Silver Level I. The cost of the Crossover
      Program is $150.00. In the Crossover Program, participants will
      work on 4 projects. If you have any questions about the Crossover
      Program, you may email Sondra Busch, the instructor, at
      Pmcplus@....

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS!
      All it takes is 3 people to make special arrangements for any of
      our classes. Just let us know your interests in specific courses,
      the time the three or more of you would like to meet, and we'll
      coordinate scheduling with the teacher.

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, Jul 14, 2003 through Sun, Aug 24, 2003

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge. When registering, a deposit is
      required. You may pay this with a credit card, check or cash. If you
      are registering by phone, you may pay with a credit card, or mail in
      a check. Deposits are nonrefundable. If you need to purchase your
      supplies and tools, please come a little earlier than the start time
      of the class, so you can finish purchasing what you need before the
      class begins. You'll find all these details posted on-line on the
      CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings Course
      You need this course if:
      - You don't know what the differences in quality are between
      glass beads made in the Czech Republic, in Japan, in China and in
      India -- what are you really buying, how long will these beads
      last, how well will they work in your particular project?
      - You don't know the differences between 14KT gold plate over brass
      (gold-filled), 14KT gold plate over silver (vermeil), and Hamilton
      Gold Plate over brass, aluminum, steel, pot metal or copper, and
      what will likely happen to the plating over the next 3-6 months, 1-3
      years, and 5 years
      - You don't know what the differences are between "druks" and "fire
      polish" beads
      - You don't know how to tell crystal beads made in Austrian (top of
      the line) from those made in the Czech Republic and China (things
      often substituted, but of a lower quality)
      - You are unfamiliar with the history of beads, and how the Ogalala
      Sioux, the Pope, Zulu tribes, the
      French/Italians/Czech/African/Persian/North American bead
      interactions, and the shoe industry in America have influenced how
      you use beads today
      - You don't know the differences between seed beads and delicas,
      what the differences are between 12/0 and 11/0 delicas, and that
      seed beads come in many shapes, including Magatamas, Mini Fringe
      Drops, Twists, Bugles, Cubes, Triangles, Niblettes, to name some
      - You are unfamiliar with appropriate choices for stringing
      materials, jewelry findings and tools

      The Orientation course is 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Best of all, the
      orientation course is free.

      ORIENTATION: Orientation to Beads and Jewelry Findings, no fees, 1 ½
      to 2 hours
      You make arrange a time convenient for you, or come in at these pre-
      scheduled times. Please call (615-292-0610)to arrange a convenient
      time for you, or attend one of these prescheduled Orientation class
      sessions:

      Fri, 7/18, 9:30am-11:00am
      Thurs, 7/24, 6-8pm
      Fri, 7/25, 9:30am-11:00am
      Fri, 8/1, 9:30am-11:00am
      Fri, 8/8, 9:30am-11:00am
      Fri, 8/15, 9:30am-11:00am
      Fri, 8/22, 9:30am-11:00am
      Fri, 8/29, 9:30am-11:00am

      Or call and arrange a convenient time...This is taught with 1
      student or more than 1 -- it does not matter. [for more information,
      go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientat
      ion/orient.htm]

      Core Courses [These are prerequisites for many of
      our courses. The Attaching Clasps course is an excellent
      introduction for both bead stringing and bead weaving, and teaches
      both needle/thread and cable wire/crimps techniques for finishing
      off your pieces.]

      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 7/22, 1-4pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/core/cor
      e.htm]

      Other beginning courses include:
      BW2002 Fringed Tulip Bag
      STITCH Stitch of the Month
      WIRE9001 Orientation to Wire
      BW2495 Right Angle Weave Bracelet
      BS0003 Pearl Knotting

      Advanced Study Groups
      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm No fees. You may join the group at anytime.

      Wed, Aug 6, 1-3pm -- Topic
      We are going to be using the cord bead weaving technique developed
      by Robin Atkins to create a Treasure Necklace. Robin's original
      article may be found in the October 1995 issue of Bead & Button.
      There is also an updated version of this project in the new Bead
      Dreams magazine – a Bead & Button Collectors edition for 2003. If
      you need copies of either of these, Warren can make a copy for you
      when you're in the store.
      Kinds of supplies needed:
      25-35 yards of Size 18 bonded nylon thread, unwaxed, such as the
      thicker conso
      7 by 10" cork of foam core board, 1/4 inch thick.
      T-pins or U-pins (we have these at Be Dazzled)
      Tapestry needle size 24
      Fray Check
      A 5 pound weight (you can use a diving weight)
      G-S Hypo Cement
      small beads in 2-4 colors, apprx 1 tube (11/0 to 6/0 seed beads
      and delicas)
      Assorted beads in a range of sizes
      Small metal spacer beads or heishi
      Treasures! – charms, buttons, bells, dangles, coins, anything with a
      loop or hole for stringing.

      ELECTIVES
      Demand for classes in 2003 has been very light, and this seems to be
      true at other bead shops around the country. Because of this, we're
      focusing on the more popular introductory classes. If you would
      like to take any class listed on our web-site, but not in the
      schedule, please call Warren (615-292-0610), and we'll see if we can
      arrange a time for you.

      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also, you
      may want
      to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing out of
      prerequisites,
      if you have the experience already.]

      Bead Stringing
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/24, 5:30-8:30pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      peyote stitch, loomwork, ndebele stitch, right angle weave, brick
      stitch, other stitches, fringe/strap/edge and other elements of
      design, plus Stitch of the Month, and Advanced Study Groups)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Design Elements:
      BW2002: FRINGE, STRAP, EDGE I: FRINGED TULIP BAG $35.00 fee ($35.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA (2nd session to be scheduled by students and
      teacher)

      BEAD WEAVING:
      The LOOM:

      BEAD WEAVING:
      PEYOTE STITCH:
      PEY2002: LEARN TO PEYOTE $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE - SIMPLE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA

      BEAD WEAVING:
      Miscellaneous Stitches:
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/10, 5:30-8:30

      STITCH OF THE MONTH $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      You can join in this class at anytime in the 12-month cycle.
      Sat, Aug 9, 10am-noon
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/s
      titch.htm]

      Beading/Jewelry Making As A Business
      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Fri, Aug 15, 4-6pm
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, July 23, 10am-noon
      Fri, Aug 15, 1-3pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/business/business.htm]

      Polymer Clay
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/clay/clay.htm]

      Precious Metal Clay
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($45.00 deposit reserves space)
      Kit of clay available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      TBA
      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification. Please inquire
      about scheduled dates.

      Next PMC+ Level 1 Certification:
      PMC+ LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION: Scheduled for October 17-19 (Fri-
      Sat).
      Full 3-Day Certification Workshop in PMC+ is $375.00.

      NEW: Crossover PMC+ Certification – A Saturday only workshop on
      October 18th, open to anyone who has already been certified in any
      Rio Grande Track Level I Certified Artisan Program, or to anyone
      certified in Art Clay Silver Level I. The cost of the Crossover
      Program is $150.00. In the Crossover Program, participants will
      work on 4 projects. If you have any questions about the Crossover
      Program, you may email Sondra Busch, the instructor, at
      Pmcplus@....
      (full fee must be paid at time of registration)
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/clay/clay.htm]

      Fiber Arts
      We are developing some courses on Bead Knitting and Bead Knitted
      Bags. If interested, please email us, and we will notify you when
      these classes are scheduled. (warren@...)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      General Jewelry Design Co-Curricular Courses
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      TBA
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/general/general.htm]

      Wire Work and Wire Wrap Courses
      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $25.00
      fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/10, 6-8:30pm
      Sat, 7/26, 9am-11:30am
      WIRE9006: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      Kit for woman's size; $30.00 supplies kit for man's size ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/17, 6-9pm
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 7/28, 6-9pm
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/24, 6-9pm
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Sat, 7/26, 12-3pm
      WIRE9115: MAKE A ROSARY $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Thurs, 7/31, 6-9pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/elective
      s/wirework/wirework.htm]

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $300.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is a 2 full
      day(9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This class is
      taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of
      when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-292-
      0610.
      Introductory course is $350.00 ($125.00 deposit). This involves six
      3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a week). There is
      also some homework assigned. This class is taught with only 1 or 2
      students.

      WORKSHOPS
      For more information, please visit our web-site at:
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and
      workshops, please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link. Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view
      option above the small image of the month on the top right of the
      page, for a better view of what's happening. If you have difficulty
      signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a new member, you can
      email us your email address, and we'll do it from our end.
      beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and –
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses.