CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS - Mon, 7/1 through Sun, 8/4

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      A School With A Different Approach
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website: http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      First Annual THE UGLY NECKLACE CONTEST. Sponsored by Land of Odds,
      Be Dazzled Beads, and The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts. First
      prize: a $992.93 shopping spree on the Land of Odds web-site.
      Runner-Up prize: a $399.07 shopping spree on the Land of Odds web-
      site. Here's your opportunity to show your design skills, your
      visual acumen, your senses and sensibilities. Can you put together
      a well-designed, yet UGLY, necklace? For more information and the
      official rules, visit the Land of Odds web-site at
      http://www.landofodds.com and click on the link to the Ugly Necklace
      Contest.

      A new project for our Flat Peyote class -- A beaded pen. We have
      specially designed pens which can be beaded. You can see a sample
      at Be Dazzled Beads in the CBJA display case.
      PEY2010: FLAT PEYOTE - BEADED PEN $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/18, 5:30-8:30pm

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm .
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further.

      PMC+ LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION: If you are interested in PMC+ Level I
      certification, please let us know so we can add your name to our
      notification list. The next workshop will be
      Fri-Sun, Oct 18-20, 2002.
      Space will be limited to 12 participants, and these spaces fill
      fast. We strongly recommend that you take at least one course in PMC+
      before signing up for the certification workshop. The registration
      fee is $345.00, and the full amount is due when registering.

      INTERGALACTIC BEAD SHOW: Sat, Aug 17, 10:00am-5pm, and Sun, Aug
      18, 10:00am-5pm. You can pick up a $1.00 off Admission coupon at Be
      Dazzled Beads.

      DIANE FITZGERALD will be coming to CBJA February 21-23, 2003 to do
      two workshops: a 2-day Brick Stitch workshop (2/21-22), and a 1-day
      Zulu Stitches workshop (2/23). More details to follow. Diane is
      author of many books, including a comprehensive book on brick stitch,
      and two books on Zulu stitches. You can find these at Be Dazzled
      Beads.

      We are developing a series of Ndebele Stitch courses -- something
      like courses on Flat Ndebele (simple bracelet or choker), Tubular
      Ndbele, Increasing and Decreasing with Ndbele, and Spiral Rope
      Ndbele. If you have any interest, please let us know so we can be
      sure to let you know when these classes are scheduled.
      Mon, Jul 22, 6-9: BW2494: Introduction to Ndbele Stitch

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS! All it takes is
      3 people to make special arrangements for any of our classes. Just
      let us know your interests in specific courses, the time the three or
      more of you would like to meet, and we'll coordinate scheduling with
      the teacher.

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, July 1, 2002 through Sun, Aug 4, 2002

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge.
      When registering, a deposit is required. You may pay this with
      a credit card, check or cash. If you are registering by phone, you
      may pay with a credit card, or mail in a check. Deposits are
      nonrefundable.
      If you need to purchase your supplies and tools, please come a
      little earlier than the start time of the class, so you can finish
      purchasing what you need before the class begins. You'll find all
      these details posted on-line on the CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      Orientation Courses
      In these combined orientation classes, you learn about the history of
      beads; how beads are made; where they come from and what the quality
      and art implications are based on where they come from; how beads are
      named and labeled; what the differences are among druk, fire polish,
      various types of seed beads; about the pros and cons of various
      metals and metalized beads and jewelry findings, including
      explanations about what "plating" is, and how the choice of metals
      and/or plating should affect your jewelry design choices; the pros
      and cons of major stringing materials; about tools you will use. Best
      of all,
      the combined orientation courses are free.
      ORIENT1 and ORIENT2: Orientation to Beads and Orientation to Jewelry,
      no fees, 90 minutes
      You make arrange a time convenient for you, or come in at these pre-
      scheduled
      times. Please call (615-292-0610)to arrange a convenient time for
      you, or
      attend one of these prescheduled Orientation I and II class sessions:
      Fri, 7/5, 9:30-11:00am
      Fri, 7/12, 9:30-11:00am
      Fri, 7/19, 9:30-11:00am
      Fri, 7/26, 9:30-11:00am
      Fri, 8/2, 9:30-11:00am
      Or call and arrange a convenient time...This is taught with 1 student
      or more
      than 1.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientati
      on/orient.htm]

      Core Courses [These are prerequisites for many of our courses. The
      Needle and Thread course is a necessary introduction to the
      beadweaving courses, in particular, and teaches about threads,
      needles, thread tension and the like. The Attaching Clasps course
      is an excellent introduction for both bead stringing and bead
      weaving, and teaches both needle/thread and cable wire/crimps
      techniques for finishing off your pieces.]
      BW2001: NEEDLE AND THREAD $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 7/8, 6-9pm
      Tues, 7/16, 1-4pm
      Tues, 7/30, 1-4pm
      Sat, 8/3, 10am-1pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/core/core
      .htm]

      Other beginning courses include:
      BW2002 Fringed Tulip Bag
      STITCH Stitch of the Month
      WIRE9001 Orientation to Wire
      BW2495 Right Angle Weave Bracelet
      BS0003 Pearl Knotting
      LOOM2020 Introduction to Loomwork.

      Advanced Study Groups
      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm
      No fees. You may join the group at anytime.
      Wed, 7/3, 1-3pm TOPIC: Beaded Beads. We are using Carol Wilcox
      Wells, The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving, as a starting point for
      exploring different techniques and theories of creating beaded
      beads. We will continue with this topic for several weeks.

      ELECTIVES
      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also,
      you may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing
      out of prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      Bead Stringing
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 7/16, 5:30-8:30pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      Bead Weaving (peyote stitch, loomwork, brick stitch, other stitches,
      fringe/strap/edge, plus Stitch of the Month)
      BW2002: FRINGE, STRAP, EDGE I: FRINGED TULIP BAG $35.00 fee
      ($35.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 7/13, 10am-2pm
      BW2494: INTRODUCTION TO NDEBELE STITCH $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Mon, 7/22, 6-9pm
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/11, 5:30-8:30pm
      Tues, 8/13, 5:30-8:30pm
      LOOM2020: INTRODUCTION TO LOOMWORK $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 7/24, 5:30-8:30pm
      LOOM2022: 3-D LOOM PROJECT - TREASURE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Fri, 7/12, 9am-noon
      LOOM2023: SPLIT LOOM - BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA
      PEY2010: FLAT PEYOTE - BEADED PEN $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/18, 5:30-8:30pm
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE - SIMPLE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 7/20, 10am-1pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      STITCH OF THE MONTH $20.00 fee ($20.00 deposit reserves space)
      You can join in this class at anytime in the 12-month cycle.
      Sat, 7/13, 10am-noon
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/st
      itch.htm]

      Beading/Jewelry Making As A Business
      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/18, 9-11am
      Thurs, 7/18, 6-8pm
      Thurs, 8/8, 6-8pm
      BUS3004: MARKETING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/25, 6-8pm
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 7/11, 9am-11am
      Thurs, 7/11, 6-8pm
      Thurs, 8/1, 9-11am
      Thurs, 8/1, 6-8pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /business/business.htm]

      Polymer Clay
      CLAYPC4301: GETTING STARTED WITH POLYMER CLAY $50.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space) Kit available for $26.50.
      TBA
      Be sure to catch Heather Roselli's article about her Segmented
      Polymer Clay Pendants in the Spring 2002 issue of Belle Armoire!
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Precious Metal Clay
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($40.00 deposit reserves space) Kit of clay
      available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      Sat, 7/20, 9am-2pm
      Sat, 8/17, 9am-2pm
      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification. Please inquire
      about scheduled dates.
      Next PMC+ Level 1 Certification: Oct 18-20. $345.00 fee (full
      fee must be paid at time of registration)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Fiber Arts
      HEMP0101: INTRODUCTION TO HEMP BRAIDS AND KNOTS $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      HEMP0102: BASIC HEMP MACRAME BEAD EMBELLISHMENT $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      We are developing some courses on Bead Knitting and Bead Knitted
      Bags. If interested, please email us, and we will notify you when
      these classes are scheduled.
      Coming this summer: workshops on beads and embroidery in India
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      General Co-Curricular Courses
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Tues, 7/16, 6-9pm
      Thurs, 8/15, 6-9pm
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 7/23, 6-9pm
      Thurs, 8/29, 6-9pm
      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN II: JEWELRY FORMS IN RELATION TO THE BODY
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /general/general.htm]

      Wire Work Courses
      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $25.00
      fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 7/6, 10am-1pm
      Wed, 7/17, 6-9pm
      Sat, 7/27, 1-4pm
      Thurs, 8/1, 6-9pm
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE - CUFF BRACELET FROM FORM $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 7/24, 6-9pm
      WIRE9003: WIRE RINGS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND VICTORIAN CHAIN NECKLACE $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 7/31, 6-9pm
      WIRE9005: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9007: WIRE WRAPPED RING WITH CABOCHON SETTING $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      kit ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 7/10, 6-9pm
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 7/22, 6-9pm
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 7/3, 6-9pm
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Sat, 7/6, 2-5pm
      Wed, 7/14, 6-9pm
      Mon, 7/29, 6-9pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /wirework/\
      wirework.htm]

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $300.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is
      a 2 full day (9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This
      class is taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of when
      you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $350.00 ($125.00 deposit). This
      involves six 3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a
      week). There is also some homework assigned. This class is taught
      with only 1 or 2 students.

      Workshops:
      Coming, Oct 18-20, PMC+ metal clay workshops
      Coming Feb, 2003, Diane Fitzgerald, Zulu Stitches (2/23/03) and Brick
      Stitch (2/21 THRU 2/22/03) workshops.
      [please visit our web-site for more information at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/workshops/workshops.htm%5d

      Progressive Study Tracks leading to Certificate of Excellence:
      Progressive Course Track fields of study immerse the student in a
      series of interrelated and skill-focused courses, which take the
      student through the processes of technical proficiency, concept-
      learning, and design and application leading to a Certificate of
      Excellence.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/progress/
      progress.htm]

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and workshops,
      please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link.
      Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view option above the small image
      of the month on the top right of the page, for a better view of
      what's happening.
      If you have difficulty signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a
      new member, you can email us your email address, and we'll do it from
      our end. beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and -
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses, as well as several progressive curricular tracks leading to
      Certificates of Excellence.