CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS: Mon, 5/6 thru Sun 6/9

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002
      CENTER FOR BEADWORK & JEWELRY ARTS
      A School With A Different Approach
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website: http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/
      email: beadschool@...

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      GRANDFATHERING WORKSHOP: (This workshop will not be repeated)
      Saturday, May 11th, 9am-2pm

      This workshop is for beaders with some beading experience
      (intermediate to advanced level), who don't need to or want to start
      our programs from scratch, but feel that they want some information
      from each of our beginning and intermediate core classes. This 5-hour
      workshop will substitute for the following four core classes:
      Orientation to Beads, Orientation to Jewelry Findings, Needle &
      Thread, Attaching Clasps, Intro to Color. If you are interested,
      please register for them. $50.00 fee ($50.00 deposit reserves
      space).

      Our own Heather Roselli recently had an article published in the
      Spring 2002 issue of Belle Armoire, entitled "Polymer Clay Meets
      Modern Art: Segmented Pendants. In the article, Heather discusses
      one of her unique polymer jewelry designs, which relies on the slab
      technique, a basic knowledge of mica shift, and how to create an
      articulated effect with the clay. Heather teaches courses in
      polymer clay and metal clay at CBJA. Her introductory Polymer Clay
      class is scheduled for 2 dates:
      Friday, May 24, 9am-1pm
      Sat, Jun 8, 9am-1pm

      Interested in Hemp? Paulette McMahan will be joining our faculty
      next month to teach a series of courses in macrame braiding, knotting
      and embellishment techniques. These courses will range from the
      basics of hemp knotting to more sophisticated fashion oriented
      techniques using hemp as well as other fibers for materials, and
      incorporating beads within the pieces. Next dates scheduled:
      Sat, 5/18, 10am-1pm, HEMP0101: INTRODUCTION TO HEMP
      Sat, 6/22, 10am-1pm, HEMP0101: INTRODUCTION TO HEMP
      Sat, 5/18, 2-5pm, HEMP0102: BASICS OF HEMP MACRAME BEAD EMBELLISHMENT
      Sat, 6/22, 2-5pm, HEMP0102: BASICS OF HEMP MACRAME BEAD EMBELLISHMENT

      Also, welcome Amanda Conley. Amanda will be teaching wire classes,
      along with Tracey Dooling. Amanda's first three classes will be
      Wire Work Rings, Wire Wrap Cabochons and Wire Wrap Rings.
      The Wire Work Rings class is already scheduled, and introduces you to
      several different wire working techniques for creating simple wire
      bands, and bands with decorative components such as knots, and bands
      with bead embellishments.
      Next dates: TBA
      Please email us if interested in any of these 3 courses, so we can
      keep you posted about the scheduled dates:
      Wire Work Rings
      Wire Wrap Rings
      Wire Wrap Cabochons and Crystals

      The other two courses will be scheduled shortly. Wire Wrap
      Cabochons will teach you how to use wire to make a pendant setting
      for a cabochon stone, a tumbled stone, and a faceted crystal point.
      Wire Wrap Rings shows you how to use wire in a sculptural sense to
      create an elaborately designed ring with a cabochon stone setting.

      NEW COURSE: Tracey Dooling will be offering a new course on Egyptian
      Spiral Bracelets. Also check out her other fun wirework courses
      Snake Chain Bracelet, Queen's Link Bracelet and Charm Bracelet.

      NEW COURSE: BW2002: Fringe, Edge and Straps I : Fringed Tulip Bag
      Instructor: Caren Johnson
      Learn all about fringes, when you make this fun, fringe-embellished
      suede Tulip Bag. How to plan your fringe. Different ways to end your
      fringe strands. Three different types of fringes, including straight,
      spiral and branched. Learn rules for making fringe, namely tension,
      weight and balance. This is a beginning class. There are no
      prerequisites.
      We will be developing a progressive series of fringe, edge and straps
      courses for you. The Needle & Thread class will be a prerequisite
      for these more advanced fringe/edge/strap classes.
      Next classes:
      Mon, 5/20, 5:30-9:30pm
      Sat, 6/29, 9am-1pm

      WANT TO LEARN A LOT OF DIFFERENT BEAD WEAVING STITCHES? Check out
      our Stitch of the Month courses. You can join the cycle of courses
      at any time. You can do all, or just pick and choose. For the
      beginner with no experience, as well as the experienced beader. The
      great learning advantage here is that you learn these stitches
      comparatively and in context. [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/st
      itch.htm]
      Meets the 2nd Saturday morning of each month. $20.00 for each class
      session. No prerequisites.

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm .
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further.

      PMC+ LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION: If you are interested in PMC+ Level I
      certification, please let us know so we can add your name to our
      notification list. The next workshop will be
      Fri-Sun, June 21-23, 2002.
      Space will be limited to 12 participants, and these spaces fill
      fast. We strongly recommend that you take at least one course in PMC+
      before signing up for the certification workshop. The registration
      fee is $345.00, and the full amount is due when registering.

      INTERGALACTIC BEAD SHOW: Sat, May 18, 10:00am-5pm, and Sun, May
      19, 10:00am-5pm. You can pick up a $1.00 off Admission coupon at Be
      Dazzled Beads.

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS! All it takes is
      3 people to make special arrangements for any of our classes. Just
      let us know your interests in specific courses, the time the three or
      more of you would like to meet, and we'll coordinate scheduling with
      the teacher.

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, May 6, 2002 through Sun, June 9, 2002

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge.
      When registering, a deposit is required. You may pay this with
      a credit card, check or cash. If you are registering by phone, you
      may pay with a credit card, or mail in a check. Deposits are
      nonrefundable.
      If you need to purchase your supplies and tools, please come a
      little earlier than the start time of the class, so you can finish
      purchasing what you need before the class begins. You'll find all
      these details posted on-line on the CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      Orientation Courses
      In these combined orientation classes, you learn about the history of
      beads; how beads are made; where they come from and what the quality
      and art implications are based on where they come from; how beads are
      named and labeled; what the differences are among druk, fire polish,
      various types of seed beads; about the pros and cons of various
      metals and metalized beads and jewelry findings, including
      explanations about what "plating" is, and how the choice of metals
      and/or plating should affect your jewelry design choices; the pros
      and cons of major stringing materials; about tools you will use. Best
      of all,
      the combined orientation courses are free.
      ORIENT1 and ORIENT2: Orientation to Beads and Orientation to Jewelry,
      no fees, 90 minutes
      You make arrange a time convenient for you, or come in at these pre-
      scheduled
      times. Please call (615-292-0610)to arrange a convenient time for
      you, or
      attend one of these prescheduled Orientation I and II class sessions:
      Thurs, 5/9, 9:30am-11am
      Thurs, 5/16, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 5/16, 5:30-7:00pm
      Thurs, 5/23, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 5/30, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 6/6, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 6/13, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 6/13, 5:30-7:00pm
      Thurs, 6/20, 9:30-11:00am
      Thurs, 6/27, 9:30-11:00am
      Or call and arrange a convenient time...This is taught with 1 student
      or more
      than 1.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientati
      on/orient.htm]

      Core Courses [These are prerequisites for many of our courses. The
      Needle and Thread course is a necessary introduction to the
      beadweaving courses, in particular, and teaches about threads,
      needles, thread tension and the like. The Attaching Clasps course
      is an excellent introduction for both bead stringing and bead
      weaving, and teaches both needle/thread and cable wire/crimps
      techniques for finishing off your pieces.]
      BW2001: NEEDLE AND THREAD $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      NOTE: Denise will only be teaching this class 2 times a month in
      June, July and August. We can also make special arrangements to
      schedule this class for a time convenient to you during June, July
      and August. Please plan accordingly.
      Tues, 5/21, 9am-noon
      Tues, 5/28, 9am-noon
      Tues, 6/3, 5-8pm
      Sat, 6/8, 9am-noon
      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 5/7, 1-4pm
      Wed, 5/8, 6-9pm
      Tues, 5/14, 1-4pm
      Wed, 5/15, 6-9pm
      Tues, 5/21, 1-4pm
      Tues, 5/28, 1-4pm
      Sat, 6/1, 3-6pm
      Tues, 6/4, 1-4pm
      Tues, 6/11, 1-4pm
      Wed, 6/12, 6-9pm

      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/core/core
      .htm]

      Other beginning courses include BW2002 Fringed Tulip Bag, STITCH
      Stitch of the Month, WIRE9001 Orientation to Wire, BW2495 Right Angle
      Weave Bracelet, BS0003 Pearl Knotting, and LOOM2020 Introduction to
      Loomwork.

      Advanced Study Groups
      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm
      No fees. You may join the group at anytime.
      Current Topics: To be announced
      Wed, 5/15, 1-3pm TOPIC: Ndbele Twist Tube. (See Carol Wilcox Wells,
      The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving, p. 117 - Choker with a Secret)
      Wed,6/5, 1-3pm TOPIC: Beaded Beads. We will use Carol Wilcox
      Wells, The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving, as a starting point for
      exploring different techniques and theories of creating beaded
      beads. We will continue with this topic for several weeks.
      Wed, 6/15, 1-3pm TOPIC: Beaded Beads

      ELECTIVES
      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also,
      you may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing
      out of prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      Bead Stringing
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 6/1, 10am-noon
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      Bead Weaving (peyote stitch, loomwork, brick stitch, other stitches,
      fringe/strap/edge, plus Stitch of the Month)
      BW2002: FRINGE, STRAP, EDGE I: FRINGED TULIP BAG $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 5/20, 5:30-9:30
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 5/16, 5:30-8:30pm
      Sat, 5/25, 1-4pm
      Sat, 6/1, 1-4pm
      Thurs, 6/13, 5:30-8:30pm
      LOOM2020: INTRODUCTION TO LOOMWORK $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Tues, 5/21, 5:30-8:30pm
      LOOM2022: 3-D LOOM PROJECT - TREASURE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      LOOM2023: SPLIT LOOM - BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      TBA
      PEY2010: FLAT PEYOTE - BEADED PEN $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Sat, 5/25, 9am-noon
      Tues, 6/11, 5:30-8:30pm
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE - SIMPLE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 5/22, 6-9pm
      Tues, 5/28, 6-9pm
      Wed, 6/9, 6-9pm
      Sat, 6/8, 3-6pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      STITCH OF THE MONTH $20.00 fee ($20.00 deposit reserves space)
      You can join in this class at anytime in the 12-month cycle.
      TBA - Herringbone Stitch
      Sat, 6/15, 4-6pm - Loom
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/st
      itch.htm]

      Beading/Jewelry Making As A Business
      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 5/15, 9am-11am
      Wed, 6/12, 9am-11am
      Sat, 5/15, 4-6pm
      BUS3004: MARKETING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 5/22, 9-11am
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 5/8, 9am-11am
      Sat, 5/11, 4-6pm
      Wed, 6/5, 9-11am
      Sat, 6/8, 4-6pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /business/business.htm]

      Polymer Clay
      CLAYPC4301: GETTING STARTED WITH POLYMER CLAY $50.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space) Kit available for $26.50.
      Fri, 5/24, 9am-1pm
      Sat, 6/8, 9am-1pm
      Be sure to catch Heather Roselli's article about her Segmented
      Polymer Clay Pendants in the Spring 2002 issue of Belle Armoire!
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Precious Metal Clay
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($40.00 deposit reserves space) Kit of clay
      available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      Sat, 5/25, 9am-2pm
      Sat, 6/15, 9am-2pm

      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification. Please inquire
      about scheduled dates.
      Next PMC+ Level 1 Certification: Jun 21-23. $345.00 fee (full
      fee must be paid at time of registration)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Fiber Arts
      HEMP0101: INTRODUCTION TO HEMP BRAIDS AND KNOTS $30.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 5/18, 10am-1pm
      Sat, 6/22, 10am-1pm
      HEMP0102: BASIC HEMP MACRAME BEAD EMBELLISHMENT $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 5/18, 2-5pm
      Sat, 6/22, 2-5pm
      We are developing some courses on Bead Knitting and Bead Knitted
      Bags. If interested, please email us, and we will notify you when
      these classes are scheduled.
      Coming this summer: workshops on beads and embroidery in India
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      General Co-Curricular Courses
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Wed, 5/8, 6-9pm
      Wed, 6/12, 6-9pm
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 5/15, 6-9pm
      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN II: JEWELRY FORMS IN RELATION TO THE BODY
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /general/general.htm]

      Wire Work Courses
      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $25.00
      fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, May 11, 2-4:30pm
      Wed, 6/5, 6-9pm
      Mon, 6/10, 6-9pm
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE - CUFF BRACELET FROM FORM $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 5/6, 6-9pm
      Mon, 6/3, 6-9pm
      WIRE9003: WIRE RINGS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND VICTORIAN CHAIN NECKLACE $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 5/13, 6-9pm
      WIRE9005: WIRE WRAPPING INTRODUCTION - CRYSTAL WRAP AND CABOCHON
      WRAP $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9007: WIRE WRAPPED RING WITH CABOCHON SETTING $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      kit ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 5/20, 6-9pm
      WIRE9112: QUEENS LINK CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00
      supplies kit ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      TBA
      WIRE9113: CHARM BRACELET WITH DROPS $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 5/29, 6-9pm
      WIRE9114: EGYPTIAN SPIRAL BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Mon, 6/24, 6-9pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /wirework/\
      wirework.htm]

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $300.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is
      a 2 full day (9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days. This
      class is
      taught with only 1 or 2 students.

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 4-6 weeks ahead of when
      you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $350.00 ($125.00 deposit). This
      involves six 3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a
      week). There is also some homework assigned. This class is taught
      with only 1
      or 2 students.

      Workshops:
      Coming, Jun, Sept and Oct, PMC+ metal clay workshops
      Coming August, 2002, Usha Shrikent, Indian embroidery and beadwork
      workshops
      Coming Feb, 2003, Diane Fitzgerald, Zulu Stitches and Brick Stitch
      workshops
      [please visit our web-site for more information at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/workshops/workshops.htm%5d

      Progressive Study Tracks leading to Certificate of Excellence:
      Progressive Course Track fields of study immerse the student in a
      series of interrelated and skill-focused courses, which take the
      student through the processes of technical proficiency, concept-
      learning, and design and application leading to a Certificate of
      Excellence.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/progress/
      progress.htm]

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and workshops,
      please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link.
      Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view option above the small image
      of the month on the top right of the page, for a better view of
      what's happening.
      If you have difficulty signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a
      new member, you can email us your email address, and we'll do it from
      our end. beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and -
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses, as well as several progressive curricular tracks leading to
      Certificates of Excellence.