CBJA COURSES / HAPPENINGS: Mon, 1/7/02 thru Sun, 2/10/02

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2002
      A School With A Different Approach
      522 East Iris Drive
      Nashville, TN 37204
      615-292-0610
      website: http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      PMC+ LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION: If you are interested in PMC+ Level I
      certification, please let us know so we can add your name to our
      notification list. The next workshop will be in March 15 thru 17,
      2002. Space will be limited to 12 participants, and these spaces fill
      fast. We strongly recommend that you take at least one course in PMC+
      before signing up for the certification workshop. The registration
      fee is $345.00, and the full amount is due when registering.

      Please review our new roster of PMC+ courses.
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm

      NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT BE DAZZLED BEADS:
      ETHNIC EMBROIDERY OF INDIA by Usha Shrikant. Usha is one of our
      Artists in Residence, who teaches workshops related to fiber arts and
      beads. She will be teaching again this summer, most likely two or
      three workshops -- embellishing embroidery with mirrors; using
      bullion as beads; tambor beading. While there have been other books
      about Indian Embroidery, none have been written by someone from
      India. Usha offers many insights, and the book is rich with 4-color
      photographs, and intricate diagrams of the embroidery stitches. The
      book is $70.00.

      LAMPWORKED BEADMAKING: AN INTRODUCTION - a video by Kate Fowle. This
      video is used with our Lampwork Bead Making classes, and is now
      available for purchase. It is $40.00. This 1 1/2 hour
      instructional video teaches about the tools and methods used to
      produce Venetian-inspired wound glass beads. Decorative details
      include dots, feathered stripes, foils and latticino. These are
      carefully demonstrated in the video.

      NEW COURSE: NET2063: BEADED EGG. Instructor Denise Conti. Learn
      to bead weave around an egg to create a beautiful decorative object.
      Next class: Sat, 2/16, 9am-noon.

      INTERESTED IN TEACHING ONE OR MORE COURSES AT THE CBJA? We're always
      looking for additional teachers. Please review our Teacher Guide on-
      line at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/teacherguide/intro/cover.htm .
      There is a section on Selection of Teachers and Courses, with
      information about how to propose a course(s). Then make an
      appointment with us (615-292-0610), and we can discuss prospects
      further.

      NEW DESIGN-ORIENTED CLASSES TO BEGIN.
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR
      A rainbow bent into a circle is a color wheel. This curtain of
      color provides the insights and tools for selecting and arranging
      colors in jewelry design. This class introduces the student to the
      basic concepts in color theory and to the basic schemes of color
      design.

      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN 1: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      Why do some pieces of jewelry draw your attention, and others do
      not? This course will help you answer this question by
      understanding how the composition of a piece of jewelry affects our
      appreciation for it. Ten design principles of composition are
      discussed.

      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN 2: JEWELRY FORMS IN RELATION TO THE BODY
      Jewelry design requires purposeful planning and visualization in
      anticipation of how the piece will be worn. An important part of
      the design process is an understanding of how the design of any piece
      of jewelry must satisfy both the psychic and the physical needs of
      the wearer. This course focuses on how design and construction are
      conditioned by the wearer's anatomy and perceptions. This course
      also focuses on decisions that the designer must make, which result
      from how the piece is worn and manipulated.

      GRANDFATHERING WORKSHOP: This year, we will be scheduling one or
      more Grandfathering Workshops. These workshops will be for beaders
      with some beading experience (intermediate to advanced level), who
      don't want to start our programs from scratch, but feel that they
      want some information from each of our beginning and intermediate
      core classes. This 5-hour workshop will substitute for the
      following core classes: Orientation to Beads, Orientation to
      Jewelry Findings, Needle & Thread, Attaching Clasps, Intro to Color,
      Design Concepts - Strap, Fringe, Edge. If you are interested,
      please let us know, and we'll put you on a notification list.

      ARRANGE A CLASS TO MEET YOUR OWN SCHEDULING NEEDS! All it takes is
      3 people to make special arrangements for any of our classes. Just
      let us know your interests in specific courses, the time the three or
      more of you would like to meet, and we'll coordinate scheduling with
      the teacher.

      FOUR WEEK SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
      Mon, Jan 7, 2002 through Sun, Feb 10, 2002

      NOTE: Class fees pay for instructional costs. Students are
      responsible for either bringing their supplies and tools, or
      purchasing these at Be Dazzled Beads. In some cases, kits are made
      up for a class. In other cases, there may be an additional
      laboratory or equipment charge.
      When registering, a deposit is required. You may pay this with
      a credit card, check or cash. If you are registering by phone, you
      may pay with a credit card, or mail in a check. Deposits are
      nonrefundable.
      If you need to purchase your supplies and tools, please come a
      little earlier than the start time of the class, so you can finish
      purchasing what you need before the class begins. You'll find all
      these details posted on-line on the CBJA web-site -
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/

      Orientation Courses
      ORIENT1: Orientation to Beads, no fee, 45 minutes
      ORIENT2: Orientation to Jewelry, no fee, 45 minutes
      You may schedule these two orientation classes together. Please
      call (615-292-0610)to arrange a convenient time.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/orientati
      on/orient.htm]

      Core Courses [These are prerequisites for many of our courses. The
      Needle and Thread course is a necessary introduction to the
      beadweaving courses, in particular, and teaches about threads,
      needles, thread tension and the like. The Attaching Clasps course
      is an excellent introduction for both bead stringing and bead
      weaving, and teaches both needle/thread and cable wire/crimps
      techniques for finishing off your pieces.]
      BW2001: NEEDLE AND THREAD $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 1/8, 9am-noon
      Mon, 1/14, 5-8pm
      Tues, 1/15, 9am-noon
      Tues, 1/22, 9am-noon
      Tues, 1/29, 9am-noon
      Tues, 2/5, 9am-noon
      BS0001: BASICS OF BEAD STRINGING/ATTACHING CLASPS, $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 1/9, 6-9pm
      Wed, 1/16, 6-9pm
      Wed, 1/23, 6-9pm
      Wed, 2/6, 6-9pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/core/core
      .htm]

      Advanced Study Groups
      One group meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, 1:00pm-
      3:00pm
      No fees. You may join the group at anytime.
      Current Topics: To be announced
      Wednesday, Jan 16, 1-3:00pm TOPIC: Ndeble Stitch
      Wednesday, Feb 6, 1-3pm TOPIC: TBA

      ELECTIVES
      [NOTE: Some courses have prerequisites. Please visit our web-site to
      review any prerequisites, supplies requirements, other student
      expectations such as pre-course work or homework involved. Also,
      you may want to familiarize yourself with our policies about placing
      out of prerequisites, if you have the experience already.]

      Bead Stringing
      BS0003: PEARL KNOTTING $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Thurs, 1/31, 5:30-7:30pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadstring/beadstring.htm]

      Bead Weaving (peyote stitch, loomwork, brick stitch, other stitches,
      plus Stitch of the Month)
      BW2495: RIGHT ANGLE WEAVE BRACELET $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Thurs, 1/24, 5:30-8:30pm
      LOOM2020: INTRODUCTION TO LOOMWORK $30.00 fee ($30.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Sat, 2/16, 2-4pm
      PEY2011: TUBULAR PEYOTE - SIMPLE AMULET PURSE $40.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 1/26, 10am-1pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /beadweave/beadweave.htm]

      STITCH OF THE MONTH $20.00 fee ($20.00 deposit reserves space)
      You can join in this class at anytime in the 12-month cycle.
      Sat, 1/12, 10am-noon - Square Stitch
      Sat, 2/9, 10am-noon - Peterburg Chain
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/stitch/st
      itch.htm]

      Beading/Jewelry Making As A Business
      BUS3001: PRICING AND SELLING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 1/23, 9-11am
      BUS3004: MARKETING YOUR JEWELRY $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit
      reserves space)
      Wed, 1/30, 9-11am
      BUS3007: GETTING YOUR JEWELRY MAKING BUSINESS STARTED $25.00 fee
      ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 1/16, 9-11am
      Wed, 2/6, 9-11am
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /business/business.htm]

      Polymer Clay
      CLAYPC4301: GETTING STARTED WITH POLYMER CLAY $50.00 fee ($30.00
      deposit reserves space) Kit available for $26.50.
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Precious Metal Clay
      CLAYMT4001: METAL CLAY - GETTING STARTED $60.00 instructional fee
      plus $20.00 lab fee ($40.00 deposit reserves space) Kit of clay
      available for $37.50; all other tools, supplies provided
      Sat, 1/26, 9am-2pm

      We offer Level 1 and Level 2 PMC+ Certification. Please inquire
      about scheduled dates.
      Next PMC+ Level 1 Certification: Mar 15-17. $345.00 fee (full
      fee must be paid at time of registration)
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /clay/clay.htm]

      Fiber Arts
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /fiberarts/fiberarts.htm]

      General Co-Curricular Courses
      GEN6001: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves
      space)
      Wed, 2/13, 6-9pm
      GEN6006: JEWELRY DESIGN I: COMPOSITION AND BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES
      $45.00 fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Wed, 1/23, 6-9pm
      Wed, 2/20, 6-9pm
      GEN6008: JEWELRY DESIGN II: JEWELRY FORMS IN RELATION TO THE BODY
      TBA
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /general/general.htm]

      Wire Work Courses
      WIRE9001: ORIENTATION TO WIRE AND WIRE SHAPING -- FINDINGS $25.00
      fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Mon, 1/14, 6-8pm
      Mon, 1/28, 6-8pm
      WIRE9002: WIRE STRUCTURE - CUFF BRACELET FROM FORM $30.00 fee
      ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 1/15, 6-9pm
      Tues, 2/5, 6-9pm
      WIRE9003: WIRE RINGS $25.00 fee ($25.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 1/22, 6-8pm
      WIRE9004: WIRE CHAIN MAKING AND VICTORIAN CHAIN NECKLACE $30.00
      fee ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Tues, 1/29, 6-9pm
      WIRE9111: SNAKE CHAINS - BRACELET $30.00 fee plus $10.00 supplies
      kit ($30.00 deposit reserves space)
      Sat, 2/9, 1-4pm
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives
      /wirework/wirework.htm]

      Lampwork Glass Making (Need to reserve a place about 6 weeks ahead
      of when you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $300.00 ($125.00 deposit). This is
      a 2 full day (9am-5pm) commitment, preferably back to back days.

      Silversmithing (Need to reserve a place about 6 weeks ahead of when
      you'd like to take the course)
      Classes offered by James A. Jones at Be Dazzled Beads. Call 615-
      292-0610. Introductory course is $350.00 ($125.00 deposit). This
      involves six 3-hour session classes, spread out over 3 weeks (2 a
      week). There is also some homework assigned.

      Workshops:
      [please visit our web-site for more information at
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/workshops/workshops.htm%5d

      Progressive Study Tracks leading to Certificate of Excellence:
      Progressive Course Track fields of study immerse the student in a
      series of interrelated and skill-focused courses, which take the
      student through the processes of technical proficiency, concept-
      learning, and design and application leading to a Certificate of
      Excellence.
      [for more information, go to
      http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/progress/
      progress.htm]

      For a more detailed, comprehensive CALENDAR of classes and workshops,
      please visit our Yahoo site at:
      Click on the Calendar link.
      Once, there, Click on the MONTHLY view option above the small image
      of the month on the top right of the page, for a better view of
      what's happening.
      If you have difficulty signing on to our Yahoo Beadschool Group as a
      new member, you can email us your email address, and we'll do it from
      our end. beadschool@...

      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts is committed to the teaching
      of beadwork and jewelry-making from a skills-development and -
      applications approach. The CBJA strives, in its curriculum, for a
      high degree of integrity, a comprehensive curriculum and a strong
      adherence to the developmental and ongoing needs of its students.
      The CBJA offers a wide selection of orientation, core, and elective
      courses, as well as several progressive curricular tracks leading to
      Certificates of Excellence.