1160Next CBJA Workshop: BEZELWORKS PENDANT by Warren Feld, 4/12-13/2014

    Feb 6, 2014

      Center for Beadwork &  Jewelry Arts:  Workshops

      CBJA

      WORKSHOPS

      Warren Feld

      BEZELWORKS PENDANT

      2-Day
      Workshop

      Sat/Sun, 4/12-13/2014,

      10am-5pm, Sat

      10am-4pm, Sun

      (with a break for lunch)

      Held at

      Be Dazzled Beads

      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123

      Nashville, TN 37204

      FEES: $90.00 plus supplies[Optional Kit available for purchase from instructor.

      Olive Fire Agate, $135.00]

      Registration
      Deposit: $90.00

      The instructional
      fee does not cover the cost of supplies
      .

      You may register
      in person at Be Dazzled Beads, or by phone with a credit card (615-292-0610),
      or by mail with a check to 718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123, Nashville,
      TN 37204

      limited to 12 registrants

      registration
      by

      March 24th, 2014

      beadschool@
      landofodds.com

      615-292-0610

      CENTER for BEADWORK & JEWELRY
      ARTS
      718 Thompson Lane, Ste 123
      Nashville, Tennessee
      37204
      PHONE:  615-292-0610
      FAX:
      615-292-0610
      www.landofodds.com
      /beadschool/

      beadschool@...

      Location,
      Lodging,

      Access by Car, Plane

      Center For Beadwork & Jewelry Arts - beadworking and jewelry-making classes
      Be Dazzled Beads and
      The Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts

      in Nashvile, Tennessee

      welcomes

      Warren Feld

      April 12-13, 2014

      10am-5pm Sat (with break for lunch)

      10am-4pm Sun (with break for lunch)

      BezelWorks Pendant

      Intermediate/Advanced Level

      2 Days

      Saturday - Sunday, April 12-13, 2014, 10am-5pm
      (Sat), 10am-4pm (Sun)

      (with a break for lunch)

      FEES: $90.00 plus supplies

      [Optional Kit available for puchase from instructor.

      Olive
      Fire Agate, $135.00
      ]

      Registration
      Deposit: $90.00

      Registration by March
      24th, 2014

      BezelWorks Pendant

      Guest Instructor:  Warren Feld

      Intermediate/Advanced Level

      Wear that mystical, bead-bezeled stone close to your heart!  Use tubular
      peyote, circular peyote, and spirtal tube Ndebele stitches while
      exploring design ideas about fringe, edge, bail, surface embellishment and strap.

      The BezelWorks Pendant has a Center Piece, around which we create a
      bezel or frame, then do some edge and surface embellishment. Attached
      to this Center Piece is a bead woven butterfly bail. This piece
      hangs from a bead woven strap. For the bead artist working from
      an Art perspective, the frame, embellishment, bail, and strap should
      be seen as supplemental to the center piece. But if working from
      a Design Perspective, all these components should be seen more wholistically.

      So, not only will we be creating a beautiful piece in this workshop.
      We will also be discussing the implications for the choices we make
      about each element or component for creating a successful and satisfying
      piece. This includes our choices about managing the transition from
      one element to the next.

      The techniques we will be applying in this piece include:

      - tubular peyote, open back bezel
      - circular peyote
      - fringe
      - tubular spiral ndebele

      Art or Design?

      If jewelry is "art", is the entire piece the art, or only
      the center piece, or central focal part the art? Classical art theory
      holds that the fringe, strap, edging, bail, and other similar parts
      should supplement or support the center piece or focal center. This
      theory holds that these jewelry structures are not art. They should
      function like a frame to a painting, or a pedestal to a sculpture.

      It is, however, often difficult to separate the jewelry's anatomy like this, with
      one part important and the other parts supplemental. This BezelWorks
      Pendant project is, in part, designed to foster ideas, discussion
      and debate about the roles of fringe, edge, strap, bail and surface
      embellishment. Each of these is critical to the finished piece.

      For each of these anatomical parts or extensions to our piece of jewelry, we
      need to understand it in terms of:

      - What it is, its purpose, its role

      - What value it has to the piece

      - How it makes the piece more or less satisfying

      - What principles should regulate it

      - Whether it is part of the art or not

      Center Piece

      The central project: A BezelWorks Pendant, with open-back peyote bezel. How
      do we go about designing an aesthetically pleasing, well-functioning,
      center piece? What functions does the center piece serve? How do
      we make choices about size, design, proportions, placement?

      Edge, Frame, Boundary, Line

      The Center Piece has a bezel, creating an interior edge encircling our stone. In
      addition, the we weave a frame around the entire Center Piece, creating
      an additional key edging component.

      Edging is used to give a finished look to the piece. It might be used to hide threads.
      It might be used to hide any irregularities in how beads line up
      or are juxtaposed. An edging strategy is especially critical, however,
      for creating, preserving, blurring, or otherwise affecting the boundary
      line, line curvature, and/or silhouette of the center piece or the
      piece of jewelry as a whole.

      What role does the “border” of a piece play? Does it mark a beginning/ending?
      How does it help the viewer appreciate the emotional content of the piece?

      What kinds of positioning issues are associated with the placement on an edge,
      boundary, border or line?

      Fringe and Surface Embellishment

      We weave Fringe Embellishment off our Frame. So what exactly is fringe, and what
      can fringe be? How does the fringe make the piece more or less satisfying?
      There are numerous possibilities.

       In good jewelry design, the Fringe and/or other Surface Embellishment would play
      either a supporting, or a co-equal role, with the center piece.
      It would not overwhelm or be overdone. It would seem as if the fringe
      were organic part of the piece. It would not seem like an afterthought.
      If it's primary purpose is to hide flaws, no one should notice.
      Too often, designers overdo the fringe.

      Straps

      The Center Piece hangs from a thin, twisted Ndebele tube Strap. What are the visual
      and functional purposes of the strap? What should the strap look
      like? How should the strap be connected to the piece? Where should
      the strap be connected to the piece? To what extent is or should
      the strap be as an integral part of the piece of jewelry as art?
      How does the strap define a silhouette? How does the strap make
      the piece more or less satisfying?

      Bails

      In our piece, a Bail is connected directly to the Center Piece, and the strap
      moves through it. A bail changes the visual and artistic relationship
      between the strap and the center piece. How might this be helpful,
      and how not? The bail poses similar design challenges as the strap
      -- size, proportion, placement and attachment. However, it has to
      succeed at one additional task -- it has to control the visual,
      aethestic and functional transitioning between the center piece
      and the strap.

      The Canvas

      We have two things which serve as "Canvas". The most obvious is the
      stringing material. In this project, we use beading thread for some
      parts, and a cable thread for others. The other part which serves
      as "Canvas" are the woven beads which for the basis of
      our Frame, and off of which we add Fringe.

      The "canvas" in a piece of jewelry may be the stringing material, and how it
      is worked off of. It might be another piece of beadwork, such as
      a beaded base, off of which some center piece is developed. It might
      be a core line of beads. It might be a piece of fabric or other
      material. How does the canvas influence the interpretation of jewelry
      as art? How should the canvas interact with the main piece and its
      components? To what extent should it become part of the artwork
      itself; and to what extent, not? Classic Art theory suggests that
      the canvas should NOT be a part of the artwork at all.

      What Techniques Students Need To Know Before The Workshop

      The skill level required: Intermediate/Advanced. The student must be
      comfortable with tubular peyote and the ndebele stitch.

      Additional workshop information found here.

      About Warren Feld

      www.warrenfeldjewelry.com

      Artist's Statement:

      WARREN FELD
      Jewelry Designer

      Director, Center for Beadwork & Jewelry Arts and www.LearnToBead.net

      For Warren Feld, Jewelry Designer, beading and jewelry making endeavors have been wonderful
      adventures. These adventures, over the past 25 years, have taken Warren from the basics of bead stringing and bead weaving, to wire working and silver smithing, and onward to more complex jewelry
      designs which build on the strengths of a full range of technical skills and experiences.

      He, along with his partner Jayden Alfre Jones, opened a small bead shop in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, about 20 years ago, and called it Land of Odds. Over time, Land of Odds evolved from a bricks and mortar store into a successful internet business --www.landofodds.com
      . In the late 1990s, James and Warren opened up another bricks and
      mortar bead store -- Be Dazzled Beads -- in a trendy neighborhood of Nashville called
      Berry Hill. Together both businesses supply beaders and jewelry artists with all the supplies and parts they need to make beautiful pieces of wearable art.

      In 2000, Warren founded The Center For Beadwork & Jewelry Arts (CBJA) -- www.landofodds.com/beadschool. CBJA is an educational program, associated with Be Dazzled Beads in Nashville, for beaders and jewelry makers. The program approaches education from a Design Perspective. There is a strong focus here on skills development. There are requirements for sequencing the
      student's classes; that is, taking classes in a developmental order. There is a major emphasis on teaching how to make better choices when selecting beads, other parts and stringing materials, and how
      to bring these altogether into a beautiful, yet functional piece of jewelry.

      Location,
      Lodging,

      //