Re: boomless rig thumbs up

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2012
      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Jim Casto <jcasto@...> wrote:

      > Boomless rig is great, After getting rid of my NACRA 5.2 with very low boom, I
      > have had NACRA 5.0, NACRA 5.8, NACRA5.5uni & NACRA 5.7.  Never missed the boom.

      In a few years I will need to replace my HC21 main. Since I don't race could I set up a boomless rig on the 21?

      Bob
    • Buzz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2012
        You probably can convert it to boomless but you really need to consult a
        godd multihull sail maker like Calvert or Elliott Pattison.

        Buzz

        On 7/24/2012 6:31 AM, Bob wrote:

        > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:beachcats%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Jim Casto <jcasto@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Boomless rig is great, After getting rid of my NACRA 5.2 with very
        > low boom, I
        > > have had NACRA 5.0, NACRA 5.8, NACRA5.5uni & NACRA 5.7. Never
        > missed the boom.
        > >

        > In a few years I will need to replace my HC21 main. Since I don't race
        > could I set up a boomless rig on the 21?
        >
        > Bob

      • Rick Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2012
          You would need to do a lot of reinforcing on the foot of the sale. Then figure the best loccation of the clew with multiple points for windy or calm conditions. i have aHobie 21 SE with a Hobie 18 rig and it works great for a cruiser.

          ________________________________
          > Boomless rig is great, After getting rid of my NACRA 5.2 with very low boom, I
          > have had NACRA 5.0, NACRA 5.8, NACRA5.5uni & NACRA 5.7.  Never missed the boom.

          In a few years I will need to replace my HC21 main. Since I don't race could I set up a boomless rig on the 21?

          Bob

        • David Farmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2012
            As Rick says, a long rectangular clew plate with 6 or 8 holes, hook into a rearward hole in light air, move the hook to a more forward hole to pull the clew aft with the mainsheet, flattening the foot to depower. The ARC 22 has a larger than normal bottom batten pocket, and a 1" dia aluminum tube for the bottom batten. Not a full boom, not completely boomless. Works well.

            Dave

            To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
            From: rickt48@...
            Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 12:06:28 -0700