Clew plate repair

  • johnc
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2011
      I just received a new H18 clew plate kit from Strictly Sail in Cincy. This is a Hobie factory part. It came with rivets that have no center pin like a typical rivet. Does anyone know what tool is used to set these? The original one had been repaired with small screws and nuts (that corroded completely apart...)
      Thanks,
      john C
      Lou, Ky
    • Victor the Cleaner
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2011
        "johnc" jkcjohn@... jkcjohn queried:

        > I just received a new H18 clew plate kit from Strictly Sail in Cincy.
        > This is a Hobie factory part. It came with rivets that have no center
        > pin like a typical rivet. Does anyone know what tool is used to set
        > these? The original one had been repaired with small screws and nuts
        > (that corroded completely apart...)
        > Thanks,
        > john C
        > Lou, Ky

        The Murray's catalog simply says "set with a hammer", meaning install
        the rivet head down on some sort of hard surface like an anvil or a
        bench vise, then pound the skinny end down. Doesn't sound to me like
        a recipe for nice even symmetrical deformation, but it probably works
        okay, given that the alternative is probably expensive tooling.

        Jonathan
      • Art Clark
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2011
          Quite often old twist drill bits have a cone on the non-cutting end. I've used one to spread the hollow end that some rivets have.
          Even if the end isn't hollow, it might still work.
          Art

          > I just received a new H18 clew plate kit from Strictly Sail in Cincy.
          > This is a Hobie factory part. It came with rivets that have no center
          > pin like a typical rivet. Does anyone know what tool is used to set
          > these? The original one had been repaired with small screws and nuts
          > (that corroded completely apart...)
          > Thanks,
          > john C
          > Lou, Ky

          The Murray's catalog simply says "set with a hammer", meaning install
          the rivet head down on some sort of hard surface like an anvil or a
          bench vise, then pound the skinny end down. Doesn't sound to me like
          a recipe for nice even symmetrical deformation, but it probably works
          okay, given that the alternative is probably expensive tooling.

          Jonathan

        • Rolf Nilsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2011
            A hammer and anvil will work to expand and flatten the rivets.

            If you are looking for a professional look, have a look at
            sailrite.com for alternatives. Or consider stitching with heavy waxed
            thread perhaps if you are willing to replace the kit you recieved.

            --
            Sendt fra min mobile enhet

            Mvh
            Rolf Nilsen
            http://multimani.blogspot.com/
            http://woodastic.blogspot.com/
          • johnc
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2011
              Thanks for everyones suggestions. I think I might try using a countersink tool I have that has a cone shape on the end. Since there are 10 rivets, I'll be able to tell pretty early on if that works well or not. It seems like this rivet part might be a somewhat inconsistent method to attach a critical component though... I suppose as long as the clew plate is evenly clamped onto the sail, there is not a tremendous amount of pressure on each rivet though.

              Thanks,
              John C
              H18
              Lou, KY

              --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Rolf Nilsen <rolf.nilsen@...> wrote:

              > A hammer and anvil will work to expand and flatten the rivets.
              >
              > If you are looking for a professional look, have a look at
              > sailrite.com for alternatives. Or consider stitching with heavy waxed
              > thread perhaps if you are willing to replace the kit you recieved.
              >
              > 2011/8/6, Victor the Cleaner <jonathan@...>:
              > > "johnc" jkcjohn@... jkcjohn queried:
              > >
              > >> I just received a new H18 clew plate kit from Strictly Sail in Cincy.
              > >> This is a Hobie factory part. It came with rivets that have no center
              > >> pin like a typical rivet. Does anyone know what tool is used to set
              > >> these? The original one had been repaired with small screws and nuts
              > >> (that corroded completely apart...)
              > >> Thanks,
              > >> john C
              > >> Lou, Ky
              > >
              > > The Murray's catalog simply says "set with a hammer", meaning install
              > > the rivet head down on some sort of hard surface like an anvil or a
              > > bench vise, then pound the skinny end down. Doesn't sound to me like
              > > a recipe for nice even symmetrical deformation, but it probably works
              > > okay, given that the alternative is probably expensive tooling.
              > >
              > > Jonathan
              > >

              > --
              > Sendt fra min mobile enhet
              >
              > Mvh
              > Rolf Nilsen
              > http://multimani.blogspot.com/
              > http://woodastic.blogspot.com/

            • Karl&Liz
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2011
                John C

                What came with the Hobie Clue is a real rivet - not a pop rivet.

                Think about how steel beams are fixed together.

                They have a domed side and are placed through the two holes joining two surfaces.

                While hot the straight end is penned over -

                IN your case - you can hammer it over - but it will not come out well.

                My suggestion is to make your self a pair of proper dies.

                It is simple.

                Select two flat thick pieces of steel.

                About an inch wide and 6 inches or longer.

                Select a drill bit that will make a hole the outside diameter of the round rivet head.

                Bore a shallow hole in one that is no deeper than the height of the rivet.

                (This part is to be mounted on a very hard surface to be struck down on with force)

                Bore a slightly shallower hole in the second piece.

                Clean both pieces of metal so as not to stain the sail.

                ++++

                Place the clue in place with the rivet head down and resting in the bottom plate hole.

                Place the second plate over the flat shaft end of the rivet - into the recessed hole you drilled.

                With a very heavy hammer and with good force - strike down on the top plate tool.

                The straight end of the rivet will expand into the cavity and take the same shape as the other end.

                The whole shaft will also swell somewhat making a very strong bond.

                +++

                You should have a few extra rivets and a spare piece of plate with holes drilled to practice on first.

                This is easy to do - but you may not be perfect at first blow!

                +++++

                I hope this response is not too late.

                Karl

              • jv1234_99
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Not sure about the Hobie 18 jib clew plate, but on the Hobie 16 1/8 " dia. aluminum pop rivets work well. Use the shortest length that will grip.....no washers necessary.

                  It's nice to see some activity on this forum!

                  Jerome Vaughan
                  Hobie 16
                  Clinton, Mississippi

                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "johnc" <jkcjohn@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for everyones suggestions. I think I might try using a countersink tool I have that has a cone shape on the end. Since there are 10 rivets, I'll be able to tell pretty early on if that works well or not. It seems like this rivet part might be a somewhat inconsistent method to attach a critical component though... I suppose as long as the clew plate is evenly clamped onto the sail, there is not a tremendous amount of pressure on each rivet though.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > John C
                  > H18
                  > Lou, KY
                  >
                  > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Rolf Nilsen <rolf.nilsen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A hammer and anvil will work to expand and flatten the rivets.
                  > >
                  > > If you are looking for a professional look, have a look at
                  > > sailrite.com for alternatives. Or consider stitching with heavy waxed
                  > > thread perhaps if you are willing to replace the kit you recieved.
                  > >
                  > > 2011/8/6, Victor the Cleaner <jonathan@>:
                  > > > "johnc" jkcjohn@ jkcjohn queried:

                  > > > The Murray's catalog simply says "set with a hammer", meaning install
                  > > > the rivet head down on some sort of hard surface like an anvil or a
                  > > > bench vise, then pound the skinny end down. Doesn't sound to me like
                  > > > a recipe for nice even symmetrical deformation, but it probably works
                  > > > okay, given that the alternative is probably expensive tooling.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jonathan
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > Sendt fra min mobile enhet
                  > >
                  > > Mvh
                  > > Rolf Nilsen
                  > > http://multimani.blogspot.com/
                  > > http://woodastic.blogspot.com/

                • John A Webster
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
                    105 today and 10 to 15 mph with not a cloud in the sky! ... Sounds
                    like a day to go set up the H 16 and get put on Lake Lewisville to
                    have some great sailing ...
                    Hope the rest of you are able to go out and "milk the winds"

                    Cheers,

                    John A. Webster
                    Founder and Commodore
                    The Cuba Run 2010
                    http://groups.google.com/group/the-cuba-run
                    websterajohn@...
                    Cell 214 499 8829

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 7, 2011
                      Well I set the clew plate rivets using the countersink tool and a regular hammer on a smooth concrete garage floor. As far as I can tell, it set them qhite well. The rivets seemed a lot softer than I expected though. The finished product looks much nicer than I expected. I have put everything up for now but will try to post photos later. The only concern is that a couple of them did split on the open side when I struck the final blow. It didn't take a hard hit as I thought it would. I will check it the next few times out to be sure it holds well. Thanks for everyone's advice.

                      John C
                      H18
                      Lou, KY

                      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Karl&Liz" <kdf@...> wrote:

                      > John C
                      >

                      > What came with the Hobie Clue is a real rivet - not a pop rivet.
                      >
                      > Think about how steel beams are fixed together.
                      >
                      > They have a domed side and are placed through the two holes joining two surfaces.
                      >
                      > While hot the straight end is penned over -
                      >
                      > IN your case - you can hammer it over - but it will not come out well.
                      >
                      > My suggestion is to make your self a pair of proper dies.
                      >
                      > It is simple.
                      >
                      > Select two flat thick pieces of steel.
                      >
                      > About an inch wide and 6 inches or longer.
                      >
                      > Select a drill bit that will make a hole the outside diameter of the round rivet head.
                      >
                      > Bore a shallow hole in one that is no deeper than the height of the rivet.
                      >
                      > (This part is to be mounted on a very hard surface to be struck down on with force)
                      >
                      > Bore a slightly shallower hole in the second piece.
                      >
                      > Clean both pieces of metal so as not to stain the sail.
                      >
                      > ++++
                      >
                      > Place the clue in place with the rivet head down and resting in the bottom plate hole.
                      >
                      > Place the second plate over the flat shaft end of the rivet - into the recessed hole you drilled.
                      >
                      > With a very heavy hammer and with good force - strike down on the top plate tool.
                      >
                      > The straight end of the rivet will expand into the cavity and take the same shape as the other end.
                      >
                      > The whole shaft will also swell somewhat making a very strong bond.
                      >
                      > +++
                      >
                      > You should have a few extra rivets and a spare piece of plate with holes drilled to practice on first.
                      >
                      > This is easy to do - but you may not be perfect at first blow!
                      >
                      > +++++
                      >
                      > I hope this response is not too late.
                      >
                      > Karl

                    • carlos
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2011
                        Not for everybody but for those of you wishing your cat grew a third leg, you can turn it into a trimaran

                        I am about to finish my version of the woods16 trimaran with prindle15 hulls and prindle 16 mast and sails

                        Here is the link if you are interested. I am not the neatest builder out there but it will give you an idea

                        http://miamitrimaran.blogspot.com/

                        There are other plans out there simpler than woods plan - try smalltrimarans.com for a wheLth of information