Hobie 17 wing mount repairs

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hi Folks! It has been awhile since my last post, but I am back, looking forward to a new season of sailing fun and frolic. Before I can safely take my restored H-17 back out I have to repair leaking wing mounts in the hulls. The boat dates from 1987.

      Wing tubes slip into angled mounts in each hull and have a maximum load limit of 350 lbs. original strength. Over time, use and stress have created cracks in the mount tubes which are not easily accessible. My question is, has anyone in the group taken on the repair of these tubes on a 17 or similar setup? Were you able to reach them through cutouts or ports? If so, how did you make the repairs and restore the decks? Any insights or references would be most welcome.

      The boat is really sweet and sails well but for the minor distraction of some annoying leaks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

      Best Regards,
      Roy
    • jv1234_99
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
        Welcome back! Sadly you'll find that activity is way down on this list.

        This might help for your H17:

        http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851&p=117363&hilit=wing#p117363

        Also, see P. 27:

        http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA_Hotline05-06_2006.pdf

        I have no personal knowledge, but others have asserted that a common cause of these cracks is freezing water in winter....they suggest a little antifreeze in the hole for winter storage.

        Jerome Vaughan
        Hobie 16
        Clinton, Mississippi

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Roy" <rdtally@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks! It has been awhile since my last post, but I am back, looking forward to a new season of sailing fun and frolic. Before I can safely take my restored H-17 back out I have to repair leaking wing mounts in the hulls. The boat dates from 1987.
        >
        > Wing tubes slip into angled mounts in each hull and have a maximum load limit of 350 lbs. original strength. Over time, use and stress have created cracks in the mount tubes which are not easily accessible. My question is, has anyone in the group taken on the repair of these tubes on a 17 or similar setup? Were you able to reach them through cutouts or ports? If so, how did you make the repairs and restore the decks? Any insights or references would be most welcome.
        >
        > The boat is really sweet and sails well but for the minor distraction of some annoying leaks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Roy

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
          Thanks Jerome! Both articles cover the issue very well. I have enough information to proceed thanks to your detective work. I will keep the group posted through the repair and put up pictures of the outcome. Meanwhile, I will be getting my H-18 ready for the season as well. Good to be back.

          Best,
          Roy

          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "jv1234_99" <jv1234_99@...> wrote:

          > Welcome back! Sadly you'll find that activity is way down on this list.
          >
          > This might help for your H17:
          >
          > http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851&p=117363&hilit=wing#p117363
          >
          > Also, see P. 27:
          >
          > http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA_Hotline05-06_2006.pdf
          >
          > I have no personal knowledge, but others have asserted that a common cause of these cracks is freezing water in winter....they suggest a little antifreeze in the hole for winter storage.
          >
          > Jerome Vaughan
          > Hobie 16
          > Clinton, Mississippi
          >

          > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Roy" <rdtally@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Folks! It has been awhile since my last post, but I am back, looking forward to a new season of sailing fun and frolic. Before I can safely take my restored H-17 back out I have to repair leaking wing mounts in the hulls. The boat dates from 1987.
          > >
          > > Wing tubes slip into angled mounts in each hull and have a maximum load limit of 350 lbs. original strength. Over time, use and stress have created cracks in the mount tubes which are not easily accessible. My question is, has anyone in the group taken on the repair of these tubes on a 17 or similar setup? Were you able to reach them through cutouts or ports? If so, how did you make the repairs and restore the decks? Any insights or references would be most welcome.
          > >
          > > The boat is really sweet and sails well but for the minor distraction of some annoying leaks. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
          > >
          > > Best Regards,
          > > Roy

        • popeyez7777
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2011
            ~~ I haven't been in here in a long time,,,, Hello Roy and jv.. Roy, I have a 87 Hobie 17 and have the same problem.... I didn't want to put any ports in (weakens the deck)... Tape over the holes during the winter. After I put the seats/wings for the summer, I run a bead of calk around the post's to help keep water out... some comes in but from a different place....... someday I'll havta get into it!!! E-Mail me direct if ya want.... popeyez7@...