P18 converted to sail with P18-2 sails?

  • coralhead1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hi Guys and Gals!

      Finished a project P18 last summer, getting ready for spring sailing. I need a used Jib.

      Ive got a line on some sweet P18-2 sails, I -think- they have a slightly larger sail area? Im thinking about trying refiting the 18 to fit the 18-2 sails, but cant find the stats. I know the mast is the same hight, so luff should fit. From what Ive read I would need the 18-2 boom, which is slightly longer. Im concerned about the jib, tho.

      While Im waiting on measurements, does anyone here know if the 18-2 forstay rigs to the same spot on the hulls as the 18? Im want to know if the luff length for the 18-2 jib will fit the forstay on the P18?

      anyone? thanks!
    • coralhead1
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2011
        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "coralhead1" <coralhead1@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys and Gals!
        >
        > Finished a project P18 last summer, getting ready for spring sailing. I need a used Jib.
        >
        > Ive got a line on some sweet P18-2 sails, I -think- they have a slightly larger sail area? Im thinking about trying refiting the 18 to fit the 18-2 sails, but cant find the stats. I know the mast is the same hight, so luff should fit. From what Ive read I would need the 18-2 boom, which is slightly longer. Im concerned about the jib, tho.
        >
        > While Im waiting on measurements, does anyone here know if the 18-2 forstay rigs to the same spot on the hulls as the 18? Im want to know if the luff length for the 18-2 jib will fit the forstay on the P18?
        >
        > anyone? thanks!

        And the answer is...probably. looks like the luff is about 3" longer. I figure I can shorten the pigtail if I need to. Other demensions are within 4-6" as well. Not perfect, but itll work. the main fell thru, so Ill keep mine and sail with the 18-2 jib.