beachcat sailing and I part company

  • b_cash_98
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hello all:

      I hope this finds you all well.

      Due to my injuries from a recent accident and some others sustained by Katherine a couple years back. I am inclined to think that my cat-sailing days are over. With lots of hard work, and even more so of Gods grace, we will be returning to sail/ cruising when I recover from the slicing and dicing. Towards that end and the fact that my income will be somewhat on and off for the foreseeable future we have decided to sell off the beach cat sailing equipment. That will include everything up to and including the BadaBing.

      Because my relationship with many of you started here I thought it fitting to post a notice of the items being listed on www.thebeachcats.com . I'll try to post a notice nightly of what items are newly listed.

      About 18 weeks have passed since the date of my accident (8/9/10). If you don't know about the accident then please accept my apology for not letting you know. The omission was not intended.

      My next round of surgery starts Wed. 11/17/10. The Doc who is working on my arm is going back to work on my right wrist, I really made a mess of it. He plans a partial fusion and another procedure that I can't pronounce, let alone spell. He also plans to work on my right hand knuckles, to allow my hand to close all the way and to do some `manipulation" of the fingers on my left hand. It all sounds like lots of fun.

      Please keep us in your prayers.

      For those who may be wondering what this is all about. …….
      In a nutshell I fell from a roof and after crashing through a pick-nick table then i landed on a concrete paver patio 30' below where I slipped from. As a result of the fall I broke my hip as well as my pelvis in 2 more places. I crushed my elbow and had a compound fracture of my right arm just below the elbow. If that were not enough I also splintered my wrist to the point that it is still, 18 weeks later, held together by an external fixater bar. I broke both of my hands 4 ribs and collapsed a lung. Despite the fact that I landed on my backside I sustained no spinal injuries and my back and head never touched the ground. Through this I remained conscience right up until the trauma team started pumping me full of some very powerful meds after we reached the hospital.

      This took place at 8:30 in the morning while I was at work, about 1.5 hours away from where we live. The police called my wife, her cell # is listed in me cell phone – which miraculously survived the landing. Also miraculously my parents', who live 600 miles away in Myrtle Beach, altered their travel plans less then 24 hours before the accident and my Mom was standing within 8 feet of Katherine when the police called. (otherwise she would have been alone) I believe the first words the officer said after identifying himself were " Mrs. Cash, your husband is alive…..".

      The three of them, Katherine, Mom & Dad raced about 75 miles up the Garden State Parkway to find me in very poor shape at Jersey Shore Medical Center's Trauma center. By this time shock had set in and I only recall brief moments with them before the Medical team mercifully, for me, pumped me full of high test drugs and knocked me out. I remember my wife and parents attempts to reassure me that I would be OK.

      Due to the extent of my injuries and the associated pain I was placed in a chemically induced coma. The coma was a blessing for me as it allowed me to live through the first 5 weeks of treatment. I was spared the pain and fear of daily facing how close I was to death, my family was not. Each day one or more of them (my wife, my kids, sister, or my parents) made the trek to stand at my bedside and watch me breath and to pray for me.

      The fact that I survived the fall was a miracle in itself. The fact that I landed on my but/back and that there was no head, spine or internal organ injuries even has the doctors using words like incredible and miraculous. As for me? I believe I was simply caught "in the palm of the hand of God"

      May His richest blessings by yours today,
      Bill
    • rdemay6033@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
        bill hope all the best for you and your recovery. i am new to myrtle
        beach and have my h-18 set up so when you visit your parents feel free to use
        it or we can take you out..

        ross and marta

      • b_cash_98
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
          THANKS

          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, rdemay6033@... wrote:

          > bill hope all the best for you and your recovery. i am new to myrtle
          > beach and have my h-18 set up so when you visit your parents feel free to use
          > it or we can take you out..
          >

          > ross and marta

        • Jeff Rupp
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
            Bill,

            Sorry to hear about your accident and having to leave sailing for now
            at least. Your story reminds me of the one my Dad tells about when he
            practically cut his had off in a side bar mower working road crew in a
            summer and somehow getting the tractor to the nearest farm.

            May you recover soon and my best wishes to you and your family.

            Jeff

            On 12/1/2010 6:18 PM, b_cash_98 wrote:

> [...]
            > would be OK.
            >
            > Due to the extent of my injuries and the associated pain I was placed
            > in a chemically induced coma. The coma was a blessing for me as it
            > allowed me to live through the first 5 weeks of treatment. I was
            > spared the pain and fear of daily facing how close I was to death, my
            > family was not. Each day one or more of them (my wife, my kids,
            > sister, or my parents) made the trek to stand at my bedside and watch
            > me breath and to pray for me.
            >
            > The fact that I survived the fall was a miracle in itself. The fact
            > that I landed on my but/back and that there was no head, spine or
            > internal organ injuries even has the doctors using words like
            > incredible and miraculous. As for me? I believe I was simply caught
            > "in the palm of the hand of God"
            >
            > May His richest blessings by yours today,

          • Bob
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
              Bill,

              I just gave thanks to the Lord that you are alive and asked that He speed your recovery.
              I guess you forgot to wear your BRS rocket powered parachute that day:-(

              I thought you had sold BadaBing. Did you somehow get it back?

              I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

              Bob

            • b_cash_98
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
                Bob,
                Thanks for your prayers, they are worth more then i am able to express in thanks. one advantage of this is that i now have another excuse for bad keyboarding skills.

                as for the badabing, we still have her. have kept her on one of te floating docks for the past couple years but havent sailed her much in the past 2 years. first Katherine injoured her elbow and hip in a workplace slip and now im out of comission for a while.

                for the sake of not opening a hornets nest on the list i wont go into detail but i must say that God has used even this in some remarkable ways already.

                thanks for the prayers/ thanksgiving and future best wishes.

                re my BRS rocket powered parachute, i think i may have watched the matrix one to many times and just thought 30' was nothing to worry about.

                Bill

                --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tooslow42@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > I just gave thanks to the Lord that you are alive and asked that He speed your recovery.
                > I guess you forgot to wear your BRS rocket powered parachute that day:-(
                >
                > I thought you had sold BadaBing. Did you somehow get it back?
                >
                > I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
                >
                > Bob

              • Craig Moddle
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
                  > Posted by: "b_cash_98" b_cash_98@... b_cash_98
                  > Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:18 pm (PST)

                  > Hello all:

                  > I hope this finds you all well.
                  >
                  > Due to my injuries from a recent accident and some others sustained by Katherine a couple years back. I am inclined to think that my cat-sailing days are over.

                  < snip >

                  Geez Bill!
                  Wow .....

                  Well, you always did like doing things in a big way!
                  Sad to hear of the accident, but glad to hear you're on the mend.
                  Too bad about Bada Bing, but you've still got the Tartan right? So when you're all fixed up you can still get out on the water.

                  Take care my friend, speedy recovery.

                  cheers

                  Craig in BC

                • b_cash_98
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
                    Craig,

                    the tartan is in winter storage on the hard for now. it was amazing to see Katherine do and direct its winterizing then deliver it to the marina herself.

                    regaining enough,+ some, mobility and strength to be able to sail the t30 is one of my motivators and goals. however it is inlikley that i'll ever climb the mast freehand again. looking back at some pictures of me at the top of the mast now just reminds me of how blessed and fortunite i have been. one slip frrom up there and ,,,,,,,,,, well we neednt go there.

                    even though the beachcat sailing days are over for me i must admit that we had a great time and sailed more in the ??????? trying to count years, 15? years then many sail in a lifetime.

                    one of the qualifications i needed to meet for my CG masters lic. was time on the water (days) and also off shore. i needed a min. of 720 days with 360 offshore. they let you go back your entire life IF you can document the time. documenting time prior to the start of my beachcat sailing days, with the exception of one summer that i ran a baitfish boat, was going to be a problem and i was a bit worried about howmuch time i could doc. I quit filling out the forms at somewhere around 1200 days. about half of that was on a beachcat.

                    thanks for the incouragement.

                    Bill