sailed was litteraly grilled, so,meone please all me!

  • newdlhead@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2010
      the boat yard moved my sail which was layered and tied around the boom and put it in the storage shed on their tournament grill. unfurled, every few feet there is lines of burger paddy grill markings, grease, rust. someone please call me and tell me what to do, i called 20 sailmakers in ny and all they want to do is sell sails. my number is 201 621 1066, i need to be out of here by monday for surgery on tuesday. i think tonight i will soak sail in a tub of pamalove dish deturgent. i hope that is not a mistake, help! greg, h16, montauk ny/ hackensack nj.
      201 621 1066.

    • Jack White
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
        My advice is to ship the sail to PA. A company there that I have used is called Sail Care that does an excellent job. You can find them on the net at www.sailcare.com. Their phone is 800-433-7245. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck!

        Jack White
        Knoxville, TN
        G-Cat

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
          I don't think the dish soap soak would do any harm. I probably would have selected "Dawn" for it's grease dissloving capabilities. (Not joking, I'm serious.)

          You may have better luck using a soft brush and Dawn and gently scrubbing in localized areas. With the extent of the staining, perhaps this is not practical.

          Sail Care does do good work. You would be best off to call them and describe the situation before shipping the sail off. Jerry is quite helpful. They can also describe the best way to fold the sail for shipping to save postage and not damage the sail.

          Be advised that their process will probably shrink your sails somewhat, but if you are not a racer, it's not a big deal. You may have to replace your batten ties with longer ones.

          -Sue
          Lake Erie

          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Jack White" <jackjwhite@...> wrote:

          > My advice is to ship the sail to PA. A company there that I have used is called Sail Care that does an excellent job. You can find them on the net at www.sailcare.com. Their phone is 800-433-7245. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck!
          >
          > Jack White
          > Knoxville, TN
          > G-Cat

        • mark dickens
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
            The best thing to do is send it to a professional like Sailcare.  There has been a lot of talk about using a cleaner that will not take the crispness out of your sails and I have seen people suggest sail cleaners that boating stores (West Marine) sell.  My sails are way past the new stage.  If you are cheap and lazy like me, I would do what Sue suggests, start with Dawn and if that does not work step it up to a more aggressive detergent.  Auto parts stores and/or Walmart's auto section sell detergents like Purple Thunder which have strong degreasers.  I would be interested to see what other say, but since Hobie used Dacron I don't think they will shrink???  The grease and the rust will take two different cleaners and I know they make rust stain removers, again check West Marine.

            I don't mean to imply that Sue is cheap and lazy like me, she is just practical :)

            My Two Cents,
            Mark
            H16

            I don't think the dish soap soak would do any harm. I probably would have selected "Dawn" for it's grease dissloving capabilities. (Not joking, I'm serious.)

            You may have better luck using a soft brush and Dawn and gently scrubbing in localized areas. With the extent of the staining, perhaps this is not practical.

            Sail Care does do good work. You would be best off to call them and describe the situation before shipping the sail off. Jerry is quite helpful. They can also describe the best way to fold the sail for shipping to save postage and not damage the sail.

            Be advised that their process will probably shrink your sails somewhat, but if you are not a racer, it's not a big deal. You may have to replace your batten ties with longer ones.

            -Sue

            Lake Erie

            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Jack White" <jackjwhite@...> wrote:

            > My advice is to ship the sail to PA. A company there that I have used is called Sail Care that does an excellent job. You can find them on the net at www.sailcare.com. Their phone is 800-433-7245. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck!

            > Jack White

            > Knoxville, TN

            > G-Cat

          • mark dickens
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
              I ran into this but I don't know if I would use acetone on Dacron!

              http://www.ultralightnews.com/pilotslounge/cleaning_dacron.htm

              Here are some West Marine links that might help:

              http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=126823&langId=-1

              http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=539213&langId=-1

              I don't think the dish soap soak would do any harm. I probably would have selected "Dawn" for it's grease dissloving capabilities. (Not joking, I'm serious.)

              You may have better luck using a soft brush and Dawn and gently scrubbing in localized areas. With the extent of the staining, perhaps this is not practical.

              Sail Care does do good work. You would be best off to call them and describe the situation before shipping the sail off. Jerry is quite helpful. They can also describe the best way to fold the sail for shipping to save postage and not damage the sail.

              Be advised that their process will probably shrink your sails somewhat, but if you are not a racer, it's not a big deal. You may have to replace your batten ties with longer ones.

              -Sue

              Lake Erie

              --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Jack White" <jackjwhite@...> wrote:

              > My advice is to ship the sail to PA. A company there that I have used is called Sail Care that does an excellent job. You can find them on the net at www.sailcare.com. Their phone is 800-433-7245. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck!

              > Jack White

              > Knoxville, TN

              > G-Cat

            • Craig Moddle
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
                > the boat yard moved my sail which was layered and tied around the boom and put it in the storage shed on their tournament grill. unfurled, every few feet there is lines of burger paddy grill markings, grease, rust. someone
                > please call me and tell me what to do, < snip >

                The older list members will remember ....... "buckets and buckets of acetone"
                :-)

                jcm

              • Steve Studley
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
                  That was EXACTLY my thought...

                  No Smoking Zone for extended areas

                  Fair Winds,
                  Steve S

                  On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Craig Moddle <sailnorth@...> wrote:

                  > The older list members will remember ....... "buckets and buckets of
                  > acetone"
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > jcm

                • sueh16h18
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
                    --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, mark dickens <markdickens2000@...> wrote:
                    ...I don't mean to imply that Sue is cheap and lazy like me, she is just practical :)

                    Uh, well, actually I *am* cheap and lazy. However, I am continually amazed at how much work it is! :D

                    -Sue
                  • Bill Levis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
                      You work hard at being lazy!

                      On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM, sueh16h18 <wind_lass@...> wrote:

                      > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com <beachcats%40yahoogroups.com>, mark
                      > dickens <markdickens2000@...> wrote:
                      > ...I don't mean to imply that Sue is cheap and lazy like me, she is just
                      > practical :)
                      >
                      > Uh, well, actually I *am* cheap and lazy. However, I am continually amazed
                      > at how much work it is! :D
                      >
                      > -Sue

                    • mark dickens
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 14, 2010
                        I just did not want you to misunderstand.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 15, 2010
                          It's not my intention, but it often seems to end up that way, sadly!