Trouble Always Seems to Happen at the End of the Day

  • gevoniuk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
      Maybe my logic is circular. Trouble of sufficient severity has its own way of ending your sailing day. Still, when I look back at most of my major mishaps, they seem to cluster around the end of the day - usually on the last run of the day. Why? I suppose there's a mixture of fatigue, over-confidence leading to impaired judgement, and maybe just the fact that on warm weather days, the wind tends to keep picking up in the late afternoon. In any case, it's probably worth thinking about next time any of you are out there tearing it up.

      Let's be careful out there (esp. at the end of the day).

      GaryE
      H16
      Kure Beach, NC
    • John A Webster
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
        "I just received word from a friend of the Worrell family about Mike.
        He has been suffering from pancreatic cancer and is losing the battle.
        He is at home under hospice care and is not expected to last another
        week.

        John A. Webster
        Founder and Commodore
        The Cuba Run 2010
        http://groups.google.com/group/the-cuba-run
        websterajohn@...
        Cell 214 499 8829

      • rdemay6033@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
          gary e please contact me at my email _rdemay6033@..._
          (mailto:rdemay6033@...) . just moved down to myrtle beach and looking for places to
          launch and sail

          ross

        • Victor the Cleaner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2010
            "John A Webster" websterajohn@... capt9jaws sobered thing up with:

            > I just received word from a friend of the Worrell family about Mike.
            > He has been suffering from pancreatic cancer and is losing the battle.
            > He is at home under hospice care and is not expected to last another
            > week.

            What shitty news, especially coming on the heels of the death of Reg
            White a week ago. What a terrible year for them, their families, and
            the entire cat sailing community.

            Jonathan
          • John A Webster
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2010
              Mike Worrell passed away yesterday ... Condolences to his family on
              such sad news!

              On Jun 6, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Victor the Cleaner wrote:

              > "John A Webster" websterajohn@... capt9jaws sobered thing up with:
              >
              > > I just received word from a friend of the Worrell family about Mike.
              > > He has been suffering from pancreatic cancer and is losing the
              > battle.
              > > He is at home under hospice care and is not expected to last another
              > > week.
              >
              > What shitty news, especially coming on the heels of the death of Reg
              > White a week ago. What a terrible year for them, their families, and
              > the entire cat sailing community.
              >
              > Jonathan

            • gevoniuk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23, 2010
                Sorry ross, your full e-mail address did not come through. You can reach me at
                gee19685 [at] gsk [dot] com

                GaryE

              • HobieCatSailor@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
                  In my opinion, one of the most compelling reasons to host aNorth American Championship Event is to showcase a favorite local venue tosailors from all over the North American Continent.

                  For many of us here in Division 5 and Fleet 61, Lake McConaughy, Nebraska isthat venue.

                  White sugar sand, warm water, and almost sea breeze like winds, we sometimescall it our poor man’s Mexico.

                  Make no mistake, this is Hobie sailing the way it used to be. Camping on thebeach, sand between your toes, and after a day of fun and sun on the water, thecamaraderie of stories about the day’s adventures shared over a warm campfire.

                  While there are accommodations available nearby, there will be no “Host Hotel.”There are cabins and trailers close to “regatta central”, and there are hotelsavailable “in town” if you prefer.

                  Schedule:
                  Friday September 3rd registration and check in
                  Saturday September 4th thru Tuesday September 7th racing
                  Trophies for 16's and 20's & Tigers on Sunday Afternoon
                  Awards Banquet Tuesday Evening for the 17's and 18's

                  We will be running this even as an overlay event to the NCAC event for the 16’sand 20’s

                  All classes will be racing on Saturday the 4th and Sunday the 5th while the 17and 18 fleets will continue racing on Monday and Tuesday.

                  Location: http://www.lakemcconaughy.com/

                  Lake McConaughy, Nebraska 20 miles north of Ogallala Nebraska which is on I-80about 20 miles east of the Colorado/Nebraska border.

                  Lodging: http://www.lakemcconaughy.com/services_... mping.html
                  The link above shows many of the available options. With the closestbeing the North Shore Lodge and the Lone Eagle Campground.

                  Fees :
                  Park Entry permits are $21 for an annual, $11 for a Duplicate, OR $4 per dayfor a daily permit.
                  Most of the entrances to Lake McConaughy are unmanned. It is the visitor'sresponsibility to obtain the required permits before entering the park. Permitsavailable at the park headquarters and the convenience stores that you willpass on the way into the park.

                  Camping Permits in addition to the entry permits are as follows.
                  $7.00 primitive camping fee (camping on the beach without hookups)

                  Camping in the Lone Eagle Campground
                  $12.00 per night on camping pad
                  $17.00 per night with 30 amp electricity
                  $17.00 per night with 50 amp electricity
                  $21.00 per night with 50 amp/water/sewer

                  North Shore Lodge is a privately owned business and attendees will need to makearrangements directly with those folks.

                  Weather: The weather around Labor Day is commonly pleasant with high’s in the80’s and nighttime lows in the 50’s The water is relatively clear and warm, lowto mid 70’s, and daytime winds average 10 to 15 mph

                  Meals:
                  Due to the nature of the venue, we plan to offer a meal each evening startingwith a Friday evening welcome dinner, and ending with a Tuesday evening awardsbanquet at the Haythorn Ranch Event Center.

                  At this time we will be providing lunches only for the “On The Water Staff”.

                  If budget allows there may be some continental breakfast type items availablein the mornings.

                  Questions, E-Mail me @ MUST429@... call me @ 303-619-0572

                  Please come and play in our sandbox !
                  Stephen

                  Additional Information:

                  Planning for the 2010 Hobie 17/18 North AmericanChampionship Regatta/North Central Area Championship Regatta is moving forwardand it is shaping up to be an outstanding event.

                  PLEASE LET US KNOW YOU ARE COMING AND HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU AREBRINGING WITH YOU.

                  Pre registration is vital, pre payment is not. http://www.eventbee.com/event?eid=768545312

                  Adjusting T-Shirt, Trophy and Food orders at the last minuteis exceedingly difficult.
                  IF we have good firm numbers on how many people will beattending, we will have enough of all of those items and no one need go homeupset.

                  If you come without pre registering, we may not have enough“stuff” and someone will get shortchanged. In order for this event to come off well, we must have good timely inputfrom YOU.

                  We will be providing dinner meals each and every evening ofthe event.
                  Friday will be pulled pork sandwiches with all the fixins.
                  Saturday will be Sloppy Joes and sides.
                  Sunday will be a choice of Hamburger and Brats along withtraditional sides.
                  Monday will be Dinner provided by the Division 7 folks.(Menu TBD)
                  Tuesday Evening will be the Awards banquet at the HaythornRanch Event Center
                  http://www.haythorn.com/giftshop.html

                  Lake McConaughy is full to levels not seen in over 10 yearsand while the wide expanses of white sand beaches are not quite as impressiveas in years past, in my opinion, that will only enhance the quality of theevent.

                  We will be camping in the shelter of the trees without thelong walk down to the water’s edge.

                  Our July Tropical Dreams Regatta just ended on Sunday. Wind on the water was great, and the beachambiance was outstanding. Dinner andevening campfires were enjoyable on a whole new level.

                  For those wanting to stay at the regatta site, there isunlimited primitive camping available @ $7 per night. For those wanting something more than tentcamping, limited rental campers are available. They are clean, but somewhat “dated” in appearance. Please contact Billie @ the Kite Ranch toexplore options, pricing and availability. http://thekiteranch.com/

                  If you are bringing a camper or a motor home and you want asite with hookups, there is the Lone Eagle campground. This site will tell you a little more andthere is a link to make a reservation http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/parks/guides/parksearch/addons/lakemac/campground.asp

                  I personally went and checked the Hotels in Ogallala, and wouldlist them in the order of my preference based on the ambiance and presentationof the lobby areas.

                  On the north side of Interstate 80, and to the east of Nebraska Exit 126

                  The Holiday Inn Express was very nice. @ $119 per night. 308-284-2266
                  They have a limited hot breakfast in addition to thecustomary continental breakfast

                  The Best Western was the next place that seemed to me to bea place I might like to stay.
                  308-284-3656 Rates from $76 per night. Include continentalbreakfast as well as hot pancakes.

                  Days Inn,308-284-6365, just a continental breakfast and aroom rate of $79 per night.

                  On the northwest side of the interchange is the Platte RiverInn. 308-284-3623 the Highway sign stillreads Gray Goose Lodge. They arecurrently remodeling but should have rooms available.

                  The last place I visited was the Comfort Inn 308-284-4028 locatedon the southwest side of the interchange. Very typical of all Comfort Inn’s with a continental breakfast, roomrates of $85 per night

                  All of these places have AAA, AARP and other discountsavailable but you have to ask for them.

                  There are some small locally owned motels further in townalong US Hiway 30, but I did not have time to visit those places to get a“feel” as to how nice or how rustic they may be.

                  It is a very short drive thru town and then easy drive outto the regatta site. Only about 20 to 25 minutes from the Interstate to theregatta site. Keep in mind that it is aholiday weekend, and law enforcement types will be out in force. DO NOT SPEED.Leave a few minutes early the first day until you get a feel for how long itactually takes to get from town to the lake.

                  Rangers will be checking for parks passes and campingpermits. Parks Passes are available atthe Park HQTRS bldg on the way out to the lake as well as Kingsley Lodge just beforeyou start across the Dam, and at the Stetsons Corner Store at the intersectionof Hiway 61 and 92W where you turn west to head to the regatta site. Envelopes for camping permits will beavailable 24/7@ the entry kiosk on Public Road # 2

                  The sailors of Division 5 and Fleet 61 are very excited toshare the Lake McConaughy experience with our friends and sailors from allacross the North American Continent.

                  We are looking forward to seeing many of you in September.

                  Warm Regards,
                  Stephen Cooley
                  Event Chairman.
                  Additional Information
                  Call 303-619-0572

                • HobieCatSailor@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
                    Ok everyone, MAC NAC/ NCAC Mac Attack Labor Day Regatta kicks off in just over a month.

                    The lake topped out on the 14th of July, and hasstarted to drop. McConaughy will be ather absolute best by Labor Day.
                    Full to the point that there is just the right amount ofbeach, and fresh sand cleaned by the recent high waters.

                    This will be the “don’t miss event of the year” with sailorsjoining us from all over the USA and Canada.

                    There is an overwhelming amount of logistical detail that goesinto planning a North American Championship Event, especially when we areplanning on feeding everyone each evening.

                    Registration forms are up on the fleet website.

                    We cannot stress strongly enough how important it is thatyou let Fleet management know what your plans may be for that weekend.

                    Many hands make for light work, but if we don’t know howmany people will be attending, we don’t know how much work will need to bedone.

                    Please, communicate with me/the board as to your plans.

                    Use the forms on the fleet website, http://www.hobiefleet61.org/news/2009-welcome-message
                    E-Mail them, Fax them,bring them to my home, or if nothing else, just pick up the phone and call me.

                    So I can fill out the form and put it in thenotebook, and add your name to the list.

                    At this point, the most important thing is that we get your names added tothe “attending list” so that we will have an adequate number of meals, shirts,and trophy’s.

                    If we cannot get a handle on just how many people are goingto be there, it could diminish the quality of the event for everyone.

                    PLEASE DO NOT put this off.

                    PLEASE DO IT NOW while it is fresh in your mind.
                    PLEASE PRE REGISTER ASAP we don't need you to send money, (altho that would be nice) Just let us know that you are going to be there ! ! !

                    Please E-Mail or call if you have any questions.

                    Help the board as we plan the first HobieNorth American Championship / Area Championship event ever to be held at LakeMcConaughy.

                    Stephen C
                    303-619-0572