Sailing a beach cat across the North Atlantic!

  • John A Webster
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
      These guys made it..

      http://yachtpals.com/sailing-catamaran-7024

      John A. Webster
      Founder and Commodore
      The Cuba Run 2010
      http://groups.google.com/group/the-cuba-run
      websterajohn@...
      Cell 214 499 8829

    • gevoniuk
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2009
        They seemed to have had a lot better (and faster) time than the guys who did it on an 18.

        http://users.tpg.com.au/kkmiller/hobie/across_atlantic.html

        I love sailing, but I have a feeling that going on a voyage like this would beat it out of me very quickly!

        GaryE
        H16

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, John A Webster <websterajohn@...> wrote:

        > These guys made it..
        >
        > http://yachtpals.com/sailing-catamaran-7024
        >

        > John A. Webster
        > Founder and Commodore
        > The Cuba Run 2010
        > http://groups.google.com/group/the-cuba-run
        > websterajohn@...
        > Cell 214 499 8829

      • Michael Bass
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 5, 2009
          I'd like to thank folks here for there help. I ended getting a new mast
          base, though in all honesty I probably didn't need to. I just drilled
          some new holes in the mast, and reused some others. In all, I put in 5
          steel rivets to hold the mast base in. Re-caulked everything while I
          was at it, though I could have chosen a better color for the caulk.
          I've started keeping a log of repairs that I've been making, if anyone
          is interested.
          Hobie Repair log <http://bassomatic.blogspot.com>
          -Michael--- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, mark dickens
          <markdickens2000@...> wrote:

          > One of the the things I do in my shop is mold repair and I have tried
          for years to find an epoxy that will adhere to the parent metal. I have
          bought some very high end epoxies but none seem to have the strength of
          metal. They do have properties that are sometimes preferable to metal.
          The one that I use the most is good 'ol JB Weld from the Home Depot.

          > Often, I will drill a hole in a mold then make a pin with about a 1/2
          degree taper. I coat the pin with epoxy and drive it into the hole.
          Then turn the mold over and mushroom the end of the pin so it won't come
          out of the hole. I that case the epoxy is acting more as a sealant by
          filling in the small gaps.

          > Epoxy would not repair the holes in the bottom of the mast where the
          rivets have torn the metal, I agree with the others here that new holes
          in different places would be a great repair.

          > I don't know but I would think a pop rivet would shatter epoxy.
          >
          > One thing that is does very well is filling blind holes. Make sure
          you rough the parent metal up with course sand paper then wire brush the
          grit out.

          strip of metal(and epoxied?) the inner perimitor of the base cap can be
          lined as well. and all the holes filled whilst epoxying said metal in
          place? then rivet where no rivet has gone before. (picture spock cross
          eyed with a rivet in his forehead)

          > no?
          >
          > set me straight.
          >
          > learning time.....
          >
          > btw, does that foam plug fill the whole mast, or is it just in the
          base?

        • Todd Elozory
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 5, 2009
            "Stainless Steel" - right?

            To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
            From: michael@...
            Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:31:10 +0000
            Subject: [beachcats] Re: Hobie 16 mast base repair

            <markdickens2000@...> wrote:

            > One of the the things I do in my shop is mold repair and I have tried
            for years to find an epoxy that will adhere to the parent metal. I have
            bought some very high end epoxies but none seem to have the strength of
            metal. They do have properties that are sometimes preferable to metal.
            The one that I use the most is good 'ol JB Weld from the Home Depot.

            > Often, I will drill a hole in a mold then make a pin with about a 1/2
            degree taper. I coat the pin with epoxy and drive it into the hole.
            Then turn the mold over and mushroom the end of the pin so it won't come
            out of the hole. I that case the epoxy is acting more as a sealant by
            filling in the small gaps.

            > Epoxy would not repair the holes in the bottom of the mast where the
            rivets have torn the metal, I agree with the others here that new holes
            in different places would be a great repair.

            > I don't know but I would think a pop rivet would shatter epoxy.
            >
            > One thing that is does very well is filling blind holes. Make sure
            you rough the parent metal up with course sand paper then wire brush the
            grit out.

          • Steve Studley
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 5, 2009
              And you need the little s.s. rivet caps if you want it to be watertight

              On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Todd Elozory <todd.sam@...> wrote:

              > "Stainless Steel" - right?
              >

              > To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
              > From: michael@...
              > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:31:10 +0000
              > Subject: [beachcats] Re: Hobie 16 mast base repair
              >

              > I'd like to thank folks here for there help. I ended getting a new mast
              > base, though in all honesty I probably didn't need to. I just drilled
              > some new holes in the mast, and reused some others. In all, I put in 5
              > steel rivets to hold the mast base in. Re-caulked everything while I
              > was at it, though I could have chosen a better color for the caulk.
              > I've started keeping a log of repairs that I've been making, if anyone
              > is interested.
              > Hobie Repair log <http://bassomatic.blogspot.com>
              > -Michael--- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, mark dickens
              > <markdickens2000@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> One of the the things I do in my shop is mold repair and I have tried
              > for years to find an epoxy that will adhere to the parent metal. I have
              > bought some very high end epoxies but none seem to have the strength of
              > metal. They do have properties that are sometimes preferable to metal.
              > The one that I use the most is good 'ol JB Weld from the Home Depot.
              >>
              >> Often, I will drill a hole in a mold then make a pin with about a 1/2
              > degree taper. I coat the pin with epoxy and drive it into the hole.
              > Then turn the mold over and mushroom the end of the pin so it won't come
              > out of the hole. I that case the epoxy is acting more as a sealant by
              > filling in the small gaps.
              >>
              >> Epoxy would not repair the holes in the bottom of the mast where the
              > rivets have torn the metal, I agree with the others here that new holes
              > in different places would be a great repair.
              >>
              >> I don't know but I would think a pop rivet would shatter epoxy.
              >>
              >> One thing that is does very well is filling blind holes. Make sure
              > you rough the parent metal up with course sand paper then wire brush the
              > grit out.

            • Michael Bass
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 5, 2009
                Yes.

                --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Todd Elozory <todd.sam@...> wrote:

                > "Stainless Steel" - right?
                >

                > To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
                > From: michael@...
                > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:31:10 +0000
                > Subject: [beachcats] Re: Hobie 16 mast base repair
                >

                > I'd like to thank folks here for there help. I ended getting a new mast
                > base, though in all honesty I probably didn't need to. I just drilled
                > some new holes in the mast, and reused some others. In all, I put in 5
                > steel rivets to hold the mast base in. Re-caulked everything while I
                > was at it, though I could have chosen a better color for the caulk.
                > I've started keeping a log of repairs that I've been making, if anyone
                > is interested.
                > Hobie Repair log <http://bassomatic.blogspot.com>
                > -Michael--- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, mark dickens
                > <markdickens2000@> wrote:
                > >
                > > One of the the things I do in my shop is mold repair and I have tried
                > for years to find an epoxy that will adhere to the parent metal. I have
                > bought some very high end epoxies but none seem to have the strength of
                > metal. They do have properties that are sometimes preferable to metal.
                > The one that I use the most is good 'ol JB Weld from the Home Depot.
                > >
                > > Often, I will drill a hole in a mold then make a pin with about a 1/2
                > degree taper. I coat the pin with epoxy and drive it into the hole.
                > Then turn the mold over and mushroom the end of the pin so it won't come
                > out of the hole. I that case the epoxy is acting more as a sealant by
                > filling in the small gaps.
                > >
                > > Epoxy would not repair the holes in the bottom of the mast where the
                > rivets have torn the metal, I agree with the others here that new holes
                > in different places would be a great repair.
                > >
                > > I don't know but I would think a pop rivet would shatter epoxy.
                > >
                > > One thing that is does very well is filling blind holes. Make sure
                > you rough the parent metal up with course sand paper then wire brush the
                > grit out.

              • jv1234_99
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 6, 2009
                  Michael: You are very welcome for the help. I'm betting we all got such help along the way or we wouldn't still be here. I read your repair journal regarding the mast base, and have one suggestion. If your mast fails the swimming pool test, find the leaks and fix them before just relying on a mast float. Water will find it's way into an unsealed mast. The float may still keep you from going turtle, but it won't help a bit in righting a heavy mast after the inevitable capsize. In fact, the floats themselves are heavier than one might think.

                  Jerome Vaughan
                  Hobie 16
                  Clinton, Mi'sippi

                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bass" <michael@...> wrote:

                  > Yes.
                  >
                  > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Todd Elozory <todd.sam@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > "Stainless Steel" - right?
                  > >

                  > > To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
                  > > From: michael@
                  > > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:31:10 +0000
                  > > Subject: [beachcats] Re: Hobie 16 mast base repair
                  > >

                  > > I'd like to thank folks here for there help. I ended getting a new mast
                  > > base, though in all honesty I probably didn't need to. I just drilled
                  > > some new holes in the mast, and reused some others. In all, I put in 5
                  > > steel rivets to hold the mast base in. Re-caulked everything while I
                  > > was at it, though I could have chosen a better color for the caulk.
                  > > I've started keeping a log of repairs that I've been making, if anyone
                  > > is interested.
                  > > Hobie Repair log <http://bassomatic.blogspot.com>
                  > > -Michael--- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, mark dickens
                  > > <markdickens2000@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > One of the the things I do in my shop is mold repair and I have tried
                  > > for years to find an epoxy that will adhere to the parent metal. I have
                  > > bought some very high end epoxies but none seem to have the strength of
                  > > metal. They do have properties that are sometimes preferable to metal.
                  > > The one that I use the most is good 'ol JB Weld from the Home Depot.
                  > > >
                  > > > Often, I will drill a hole in a mold then make a pin with about a 1/2
                  > > degree taper. I coat the pin with epoxy and drive it into the hole.
                  > > Then turn the mold over and mushroom the end of the pin so it won't come
                  > > out of the hole. I that case the epoxy is acting more as a sealant by
                  > > filling in the small gaps.
                  > > >
                  > > > Epoxy would not repair the holes in the bottom of the mast where the
                  > > rivets have torn the metal, I agree with the others here that new holes
                  > > in different places would be a great repair.
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't know but I would think a pop rivet would shatter epoxy.
                  > > >
                  > > > One thing that is does very well is filling blind holes. Make sure
                  > > you rough the parent metal up with course sand paper then wire brush the
                  > > grit out.

                • John A Webster
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 6, 2009
                    The issue with the mast head float is the distance it is from the
                    pivot point ... making the effort to rotate the boat much more
                    difficult as the pounds per foot multiply it's effective weight.
                    A SEALED MAST is the very best way to go as a mast filled with just
                    AIR will float and not turtle. A mast on a cat that floats is much
                    easier to right ... way easier than one with a float on top but
                    filled with water... spend the small amount of time to seal the
                    mast ... it will pay off in SPADES going forward!!

                    Jaws

                    On Nov 6, 2009, at 12:37 PM, jv1234_99 wrote:

                    > Michael: You are very welcome for the help. I'm betting we all got
                    > such help along the way or we wouldn't still be here. I read your
                    > repair journal regarding the mast base, and have one suggestion. If
                    > your mast fails the swimming pool test, find the leaks and fix them
                    > before just relying on a mast float. Water will find it's way into
                    > an unsealed mast. The float may still keep you from going turtle,
                    > but it won't help a bit in righting a heavy mast after the
                    > inevitable capsize. In fact, the floats themselves are heavier than
                    > one might think.
                    >
                    > Jerome Vaughan
                    > Hobie 16
                    > Clinton, Mi'sippi

                  • Michael Bass
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 6, 2009
                      Thanks for the advice about the float. It happens that I've already had the pleasure of flipping the boat once already. It took me about 10-15 minutes to right it, and there was no evidence of any water in that mast that time.

                      Still, I'm paranoid about the mast leaking, and am going to be very wary of leaks.