H16: Slack in Shrouds?

  • Lester
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
      My boys & I sail our H16 with main sail only and no trapeze.

      Should we be getting any "slack" in our port/starboard shroud lines?

      All 3 stays are tight when leaving the beach.

      Thanks, Bob

    • Damian Hamill
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
        On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Lester<lester049@...> wrote:

        > My boys & I sail our H16 with main sail only and no trapeze.

        Then u are only getting half the fun, put the jib on and and twin
        trapeze in a blow to get some speed out of it.

        > Should we be getting any "slack" in our port/starboard shroud lines?

        yes u will get slack in the leward shroud.

        > All 3 stays are tight when leaving the beach.
        >
        > Thanks, Bob

      • Lester
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
          Thanks,

          Jib is going on next week!!!!

          Leward - just learned a new word.

          Worse part of the Hobie is, dead wind and being tossed like a salad in the
          waves of the motor boats.

          Have fun..

          Bob

          _____

          <mailto:lester049%40myfairpoint.net> nt.net> wrote:

          > My boys & I sail our H16 with main sail only and no trapeze.

          Then u are only getting half the fun, put the jib on and and twin
          trapeze in a blow to get some speed out of it.

          > Should we be getting any "slack" in our port/starboard shroud lines?

          yes u will get slack in the leward shroud.

          > All 3 stays are tight when leaving the beach.
          >
          > Thanks, Bob

        • tornadokc247
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2009
            The reason you get slack appearing the shrouds while sailing is that the mast is flexing under the sail loads...a curved mast shortens the dimension to the shroud attachment point on the hull...hence the cable goes slack.

            For boats with mast spreaders using the old "soft-rig" setup, the diamonds would also go slack on the windward side. It is vitally important to keep the diamonds attached to the spreader tips when slack...else when you tack/gybe to the other side, the mast almost certainly will break in half with no diamond support. We used to use thin seizing wire to secure the diamonds to the spreader tips....more reliable than just taping them in place.

            With modern pre-bend rigs, diamond slack is no longer significant and I just use rigging tape to cover the spreader tips...reducing chafe against the jib.

            Mike.

            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Lester" <lester049@...> wrote:

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jib is going on next week!!!!
            >
            > Leward - just learned a new word.
            >
            > Worse part of the Hobie is, dead wind and being tossed like a salad in the
            > waves of the motor boats.
            >
            > Have fun..
            >
            > Bob
            >

            > _____

          • Lester
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2009
              Mike, sounds like I have an old soft-rig setup.

              What's the diamond support?

              _____

              --- In beachcats@yahoogrou <mailto:beachcats%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,