Re: smaller sail /answer to Bill Cash/halyard relase issue

  • whr241
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      -- Hi Bill ; thanks for the info about the halyard problem . I solved
      the problem last summer through trial & error. I use a 5'rigid
      aluminum extension(5'x1"x1/4") that has 2 sail slide attached to it.
      ( I use 2 very small SS shackles made for slides ;one is attached 2"
      from top & one is attached in middle of extension ). I attach top of
      extension(it has a hole thats made for the shackle) to the shackle &
      ring & the bottom of the extention with a large captive halyard
      shackle to the head of the smaller sail. Using this extension works
      without fail to raise & lower the main !
      I don,t think I will be able to solo right the P-19 if it capsizes
      even with the smaller main & furled jib ? Do you know anyone that
      can ? I will try it next season & let you know ! Until then I am
      going to actively look for crew to sail with me ! Bill

      - In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <b_cash_98@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > Your going to need to make a small modification to your halyard rig
      > for this to work.
      >
      > Think about how the halyard ring attaches to the main and the hook
      ar
      > the top of the mast. Your going to need a section of line to go
      from
      > the smaller sail top to the halyard ring so that you can still
      > connect the ring to the hook. Your also going to need a sail slug
      > attached to the halyard ring so that the ring is held in the same
      > position as it would be if attached to the head of the sail. If
      you
      > dont use a slug you may be able to get the ring onto the hoook but
      it
      > will be very hard if not impossible to rotate the mast out of the
      > ring to bring down the main.
      >
      > Let us know how it works out for you.
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > BTW to you and all "the List" and their famalies, Merry
      Christmas!!!
      > and Happy New Year.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Bill,

        I dont know of anyone who can solo right the P19 unless they use a
        Solorite. Gary, a list member, made the Solorite and tested it on
        some very large catamarans, I "think" he solo righted a 27?

        Gary??? you out there??

        Bill

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "whr241" <whr241@...> wrote:

        > -- Hi Bill ; thanks for the info about the halyard problem . I
        solved
        > the problem last summer through trial & error. I use a 5'rigid
        > aluminum extension(5'x1"x1/4") that has 2 sail slide attached to
        it.
        > ( I use 2 very small SS shackles made for slides ;one is attached
        2"
        > from top & one is attached in middle of extension ). I attach top
        of
        > extension(it has a hole thats made for the shackle) to the shackle
        &
        > ring & the bottom of the extention with a large captive halyard
        > shackle to the head of the smaller sail. Using this extension
        works
        > without fail to raise & lower the main !
        > I don,t think I will be able to solo right the P-19 if it
        capsizes
        > even with the smaller main & furled jib ? Do you know anyone that
        > can ? I will try it next season & let you know ! Until then I am
        > going to actively look for crew to sail with me ! Bill
        >

        > - In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <b_cash_98@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Bill,
        > >
        > > Your going to need to make a small modification to your halyard
        rig
        > > for this to work.
        > >
        > > Think about how the halyard ring attaches to the main and the
        hook
        > ar
        > > the top of the mast. Your going to need a section of line to go
        > from
        > > the smaller sail top to the halyard ring so that you can still
        > > connect the ring to the hook. Your also going to need a sail
        slug
        > > attached to the halyard ring so that the ring is held in the same
        > > position as it would be if attached to the head of the sail. If
        > you
        > > dont use a slug you may be able to get the ring onto the hoook
        but
        > it
        > > will be very hard if not impossible to rotate the mast out of the
        > > ring to bring down the main.
        > >
        > > Let us know how it works out for you.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >

        > > BTW to you and all "the List" and their famalies, Merry
        > Christmas!!!
        > > and Happy New Year.

      • Buzz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          I know someone who can solo right a P19 ... 0R any beachcat including a
          Hobie 21se.

          Gary Friesen ... king of the Solo~Right.
          Buzz