Re: must goes thud thud thud

  • Victor the Cleaner
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 1, 2008
      "Frank Perras" flperras@... flperras stepped in it with:

      >> newdlhead
      >>
      >> Please dont try sailing any big water until you have some help, Please
      >> dont try sailing solo, if you cant stand up a h16 mast solo you have no
      >> business sailing a h16 solo and youll never figure how to right it.
      >> AND YOU will have to right it!
      >>
      >> If and when you launch you hobie PLEASE be sure to wear a PDF, all the
      >> time! Until you learn a lot more dont go far from shore, dont sailin a
      >> off shore breeze, dont sail alone, DO find some help.
      >>
      >> Bill
      >
      > Hello Bill
      > I think if I practiced just a little bit I could become as big a ass?
      > as you must be, I see why Sue has a hard time putting up with you, when
      > I get to be as perfect as you are I will buy you a beer,? yea right go
      > sit on it with determination and see if it hurts. I bet your a Donkey
      > toooooooooo

      I normally stay out of these little flaps, but not this time.

      Frank, you're *totally* out of line. I've never personally met anyone
      on the list, so I carry no biases. It was obvious to me, upon reading
      Bill's post, that he was making a sincere attempt to avoid "newdlhead"
      (yes, I'd like a real name for him too) turning into this year's Sven.

      "newdlhead": These things just aren't that complicated. There are tens
      of thousands of 16s out there and I've never heard of anyone having such
      a struggle with getting (even an old used) one rigged properly for the
      first time. You've already received the best advice this list can offer,
      and that's to find someone local who can tell you - at a glance - what's
      wrong and/or missing and to walk you through getting it sorted out. I
      don't have a 16 myself, but that's the kind of help I've given to a lot
      of people trying to figure out their H18s, and countless others whose
      rigs I don't intimately know, but could take reasonable guesses at.

      If there's one thing I can tell you, based on nearly 30 years of cat
      sailing (and ten years on monos before that), it's that the people in
      this sport are enthusiastic and helpful, and if your local shop (or
      fleet, or whomever) directs you to a 16 sailor with the experience,
      confidence, and spare parts box to help, you'll be amazed at how willing
      he/she will be to assist in getting you going. You'll also be amazed at
      how simple it turns out to be once someone who knows the rig is involved.

      Stop fighting this thing on your own and in the company of people who
      don't know what the hell they're doing.

      Jonathan
    • sueh16h18
      Message 52 of 52 , Nov 17, 2008