Re: [beachcats] Crew needed on a regular basis to sail PRINDLE-19 Brooklyn NY

  • newdlhead@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/1/2007 12:00:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      whr241@... writes:

      Anyone in the Brooklyn area want to sail with me on my Prindle 19.
      I sail almost every day on the ocean & am always looking for crew.
      When the wind is light I do not have a problem but, 10-15mph I get a
      little nervous about the hull lifting & if I am careless capsizing !
      The boat can not be righted by a solo sailor ....so join me on the
      cat , in the trapeze or just as ballast ! Bill

      I'm from jersey but commute to Brooklyn often, I'd be interested. Send me and
      email. though I'm mot too experienced, I can learn fast.
      -Greg, lives in jersey, H16 on tip of long island.

    • whr241
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, newdlhead@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 9/1/2007 12:00:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > whr241@... writes:
        >
        > Anyone in the Brooklyn area want to sail with me on my Prindle 19.
        > I sail almost every day on the ocean & am always looking for crew.
        > When the wind is light I do not have a problem but, 10-15mph I get
        > little nervous about the hull lifting & if I am careless
        capsizing !
        > The boat can not be righted by a solo sailor ....so join me on the
        > cat , in the trapeze or just as ballast ! Bill
        >
        > I'm from jersey but commute to Brooklyn often, I'd be interested.
        Send me and
        > email. though I'm mot too experienced, I can learn fast.
        > -Greg, lives in jersey, H16 on tip of long island.
        > Hi Greg : i don't know your e-mail address or your Phone # & that
        makes it impossible to contact you ! Bill billsails@...

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
          Bill,

          Sounds like your enjoying the P19. It is a blast and becomes a
          handfull when the wind comes up. You might want to check around and
          see if you can pick up a soloright. Gary used to make them for sale
          but I belive he stopped producing them. The Soloright is trully the
          only way to right a P19 solo, and if you have one and learn to use it
          youll have no problem. If I recall Gary righted a H21 and possibly
          something larger.

          If you cant buy one you may be able to find someone to discribe it so
          you can make one.

          Back to the P19, Did you ever add wings? Just for fun Katherine and
          I used to go out in BIG air (25+) when normal sailing would be just
          too much work, and practice making taming the beast. The idea to
          make the boat go slow and controlled. Its very doable but does take
          a bit of practice and the first few times steel nerves. The trick is
          to crank the daylights out of everything, down hull main and jib.
          Bring in the jib soo much it backwinds the main and kills the lift
          created by the forward side of the main. Doint this you can point and
          put along at controlable speeds. Down wind is about the same. The
          hard part is a transation from up to down wind.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <b_cash_98@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            >
            > Sounds like your enjoying the P19. It is a blast and becomes a
            > handfull when the wind comes up. You might want to check around
            and
            > see if you can pick up a soloright. Gary used to make them for
            sale
            > but I belive he stopped producing them. The Soloright is trully
            the
            > only way to right a P19 solo, and if you have one and learn to use
            it
            > youll have no problem. If I recall Gary righted a H21 and possibly
            > something larger.
            >
            > If you cant buy one you may be able to find someone to discribe it
            so
            > you can make one.
            >
            > Back to the P19, Did you ever add wings? Just for fun Katherine
            and
            > I used to go out in BIG air (25+) when normal sailing would be just
            > too much work, and practice making taming the beast. The idea to
            > make the boat go slow and controlled. Its very doable but does
            take
            > a bit of practice and the first few times steel nerves. The trick
            is
            > to crank the daylights out of everything, down hull main and jib.
            > Bring in the jib soo much it backwinds the main and kills the lift
            > created by the forward side of the main. Doint this you can point
            and
            > put along at controlable speeds. Down wind is about the same. The
            > hard part is a transation from up to down wind.
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "whr241" <whr241@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone in the Brooklyn area want to sail with me on my Prindle
            19.
            > > I sail almost every day on the ocean & am always looking for
            > crew.
            > > When the wind is light I do not have a problem but, 10-15mph I
            get
            > > little nervous about the hull lifting & if I am careless
            > capsizing !
            > > The boat can not be righted by a solo sailor ....so join me on
            the
            > > cat , in the trapeze or just as ballast ! Bill
            > >
            > Hi Bill : thanks for the info about the "solo right" . Yes I have
            had many opportunities to de power the rig & it does work ....BUT for
            me it is survival sailing & not fun at all. I usually depower when I
            have made the mistake of going out when there is too much wind ! I
            never was interested in wings ,but heard they are alot of fun.
            You & Katerine should give me a buzz when you want to sail over to
            Breezy Point or someplace inbetween Sandy Hook & Brooklyn. It not a
            long sail when you get the right wind direction & speed . We sailed
            over to Great Kills last week & the week before over to Sandy Hook .
            Bill , 718 648 7720