H18 Misc equipment

  • Thomas Peacock
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      So what do you do with your rudders and dagger boards while traveling.
      Short or long distance. I was thinking of building a box for that type
      of stuff and use the tube I already have for the sails.

      Be fore warned I am cheap so a $600 cat box is out of the question.

      Thomas
    • Richard Stanley
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        I leave my rudders up and bungee the steering crossbar to the ‘thingy” on
        the tramp rear crossbar you tie your mainline on. That way, the rudders can
        not fall down in transport, and it’s a fast disconnect. The rudders have
        slip on covers that are held in place with Velcro straps. I want to be able
        to set up in the shortest amount of time possible.

        Dagger boards go in the box with the sails, etc. with no covers, but they
        lie on carpeting and have the sails over top.

        I got my replacement main and jib lines yesterday--yalelight. I got ¼ inch
        for the jib and 5/16 for the main. Looks good to me!!! I’ll let you know
        how this works out when we get some wind in MD, or in a few weeks when I
        head off to Hatteras.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
          I'm rebuilding a G-Cat 5.0 which does not have end caps for the
          crossbars (which
          appear to be the same profile as the mast). Anyone know where I can get end
          caps for these crossbars. I could fabricate some from
          wood/fiberglass/resin/aluminum, but I would rather just buy them than
          spend the
          time fabricating them.

          Mike Grubb
          Enterprise, AL
        • sueh16h18
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
            A couple of "dollar store" bath towels of the appropriate size, sewn
            on 3 sides, make wonderful daggerboard covers (to keep them from
            getting banged by things in whatever box you end up with). Toss 'em
            in the washer when they get funky.
          • James Wenzel
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
              You know that is a great idea, thanks!