Re: What size Cat do I need?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hey Guys,

      Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the H16'. Probably where I need to
      be, considering the parameters I mentioned.

      Todd, I'm in Central Alabama, 35 miles East of Birmingham and 115
      miles West of Atlanta GA. Not many sailboats in these parts and even
      fewer Cats.

      I did see a Nacra 5.2 on Ebay in TN about 200 miles from me. I've got
      a call in to the guy as he says it's for sale locally.

      Don't mean to stir up any trouble, but generally how do the Nacras
      compare to the Hobies.

      Dave

      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Elozory" <todd@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Where are you?
      >
      > Todd Elozory
      > H21SE
      > Thonotosassa, Florida

    • catflyer2003
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1, 2007
        Welcome aboard Dave! All the Hobie and Nacra models are terrific
        boats. I never owned a Nacra, but would guess they aren't meant for
        the abuse many of us subject our Hobies to, (routinely being sailed
        onto the beach). I think a big factor is just to make sure you can
        right the boat solo. There are a number of aids to use if needed,
        bags; poles; shroud extenders. ALWAYS wear a PFD. Saw some rookies
        yesterday go out 6+ miles off shore up here, where the water is still
        quite cool with their PFDs on the tramp, and no wet, or even spray
        suits. If the 5.2 is in good shape, and within your price range, I'd
        say get it. It is a fine boat and very popular, so parts, and advice
        should be relatively easy to obtain. I think Jake Kohl started sailing
        on a 5.2 . He's a brilliant generous guy, and a great resource for
        info and advice. He posts here sometimes, but can be found on the
        catsailor forums too, or at his own site : www.teamseacats.com . Good
        luck, and keep us posted with how things turn out! Brian H17 Fleet
        448
        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <eduderutinruf@...> wrote:

        > Hey Guys,
        >
        > Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the H16'. Probably where I need to
        > be, considering the parameters I mentioned.
        >
        > Todd, I'm in Central Alabama, 35 miles East of Birmingham and 115
        > miles West of Atlanta GA. Not many sailboats in these parts and even
        > fewer Cats.
        >
        > I did see a Nacra 5.2 on Ebay in TN about 200 miles from me. I've got
        > a call in to the guy as he says it's for sale locally.
        >
        > Don't mean to stir up any trouble, but generally how do the Nacras
        > compare to the Hobies.
        >
        > Dave
        >

        > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Elozory" <todd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dave,
        > >
        > > Where are you?
        > >
        > > Todd Elozory
        > > H21SE
        > > Thonotosassa, Florida

      • David Farmer
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
          Dave,
          I've had both an H 16 and an H18 Magnum (wings), and I'd recommend the 18
          for 400 lbs of crew, if you'll be crewed very often. That much weight
          really pushes a 16 pretty deep in the water. Sailing an 18 solo is no
          problem, just get a gin pole set up for raising the mast while on the trl, I
          can help if you wish.

          Dave 509 276 6355

          >From: "Dave" <eduderutinruf@...>
          >To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [beachcats] What size Cat do I need?
          >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 05:14:17 -0000
          >
          >I said in my first post here that my wife and I had a notion to get a
          >beach cat. Truth is, it's probably my notion and she's just humoring me.
          >Anyways, while I am not a novice sailor, I am new to catamarans. I own
          >a 17' mono daysailor that I've had for many years and I can rig and
          >sail it solo, but while sailing it alone is no problem, rigging it by
          >myself is a bit of a pain.
          >As for a catamaran, your input please on the size I might need. Some
          >pertinent points; I'm not interested in racing, just fun on the water.
          >My wife and I together would go about 400 lbs. She would be with me
          >some, but mostly I would sail alone. (She's a fair weather sailor at
          >best and I sail year round.)I would be predominantly flat water lake
          >sailing with the occasional trip to the bays at the Gulf of Mexico.
          >Also, I'm 3 miles from the boat launch so trailering not much of a
          >problem. And, I am physically fit.
          >Important to me would be ease of launch and recovery while alone, but
          >reasonable performance when we are together.
          >Some points I think I've gleaned so far is that a 14' my be a tad
          >small for our combined weight. And, an 18' may be a little large for a
          >solo sailor. Please advise per your experience. I realize some
          >subjectivity is inevitable here but all opinions are appreciated.
          >Thank you! This site is a valuable resource.
          >
          >Dave

          Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
          place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01
        • Dave_At_Logan_Martin
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 4, 2007
            Thanks Dave, After reading your observations and those of a few others
            I'm leaning towards the H18. I'm not saying I would turn down a great
            buy on a 16 but I had a chance to look over an 18 today at a local
            marina and I believe I can handle it OK. And, that would give me more
            options with crew. The one today was an '87 and belonged to a dealer
            who wanted 3k for it. It was in good condition and he said the sails
            are like new. I think that's a little "salty". I may have to wait
            until boating season is over around here.

            Dave

            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "David Farmer" <lightguyz@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > I've had both an H 16 and an H18 Magnum (wings), and I'd
            recommend the 18
            > for 400 lbs of crew, if you'll be crewed very often. That much weight
            > really pushes a 16 pretty deep in the water. Sailing an 18 solo is no
            > problem, just get a gin pole set up for raising the mast while on
            the trl, I
            > can help if you wish.
            >
            > Dave 509 276 6355
            >

            > >From: "Dave" <eduderutinruf@...>
            > >To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [beachcats] What size Cat do I need?
            > >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 05:14:17 -0000
            > >
            > >I said in my first post here that my wife and I had a notion to get a
            > >beach cat. Truth is, it's probably my notion and she's just
            humoring me.
            > >Anyways, while I am not a novice sailor, I am new to catamarans. I own
            > >a 17' mono daysailor that I've had for many years and I can rig and
            > >sail it solo, but while sailing it alone is no problem, rigging it by
            > >myself is a bit of a pain.
            > >As for a catamaran, your input please on the size I might need. Some
            > >pertinent points; I'm not interested in racing, just fun on the water.
            > >My wife and I together would go about 400 lbs. She would be with me
            > >some, but mostly I would sail alone. (She's a fair weather sailor at
            > >best and I sail year round.)I would be predominantly flat water lake
            > >sailing with the occasional trip to the bays at the Gulf of Mexico.
            > >Also, I'm 3 miles from the boat launch so trailering not much of a
            > >problem. And, I am physically fit.
            > >Important to me would be ease of launch and recovery while alone, but
            > >reasonable performance when we are together.
            > >Some points I think I've gleaned so far is that a 14' my be a tad
            > >small for our combined weight. And, an 18' may be a little large for a
            > >solo sailor. Please advise per your experience. I realize some
            > >subjectivity is inevitable here but all opinions are appreciated.
            > >Thank you! This site is a valuable resource.
            > >
            > >Dave

            > Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
            > place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01

          • Victor the Cleaner
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2007
              "Dave_At_Logan_Martin" eduderutinruf@... bravely posited:

              > Thanks Dave, After reading your observations and those of a few others
              > I'm leaning towards the H18. I'm not saying I would turn down a great
              > buy on a 16 but I had a chance to look over an 18 today at a local
              > marina and I believe I can handle it OK. And, that would give me more
              > options with crew. The one today was an '87 and belonged to a dealer
              > who wanted 3k for it. It was in good condition and he said the sails
              > are like new. I think that's a little "salty". I may have to wait
              > until boating season is over around here.

              Dave:

              That's a little on the dear side, but not totally out of line. I
              bought my H18 for $3500 (Canadian) about five years ago when our
              dollar was weaker, so it was about $3K USD (w/o trailer, but with
              wings, though they were the first thing I yanked). It's an '87 as
              well, so it came with the new-style rudder castings, which is
              important. The sails weren't in particularly good shape, having
              been sun-faded from being left out for a while. But it was the right
              boat in the right place at the right time (there weren't any other
              prospects up around our cottage, and I only had a couple of weeks
              there), so I was okay with paying a bit of a premium.

              So if you've got some time to shop around and don't mind traveling
              (or shipping), you can probably do a lot better, but if you just
              need to get it over with quickly, that doesn't sound too excessive.

              Jonathan
            • HobieCatSailor@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2007
                Last week I watched an 87 with wings go @ 4800 + on E-Bay

                There was a 93 SX going for over 5K in the past few days also.

                Hobie 18's in GOOD good condition are getting harder and harder to find and
                the really nice ones have gotten a little spendy.

                Being as how the Hobie 18 is the finest, most versatile catamaran ever
                conceived, engineered, designed and built, maybe it's time Hobie woke up and
                smelled the coffee and started building them again.

                The preceding was NOT a paid announcement, but it IS a strongly held
                personal belief. <Grin>

                Flame On,
                Stephen
                H-18

                (Hey, we all gotta be passionate about something)

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 7, 2007
                  In a message dated 7/5/2007 9:39:23 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                  HobieCatSailor@... writes:

                  Being as how the Hobie 18 is the finest, most versatile catamaran ever
                  conceived, engineered, designed and built, maybe it's time Hobie woke up and
                  smelled the coffee and started building them again.

                  Sheesh, are you guys and gals all a sleeping?
                  I lob out a duck like that and no one even Flicks their Bic, much less
                  flames me like I deserved <Grin>
                  Hmmmmmm, maybe ya'll are all out sailing and I slipped one over the plate.

                  Stephen
                  H-18

                • Damon Linkous
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 7, 2007
                    > Being as how the Hobie 18 is the finest, most versatile catamaran
                    > ever
                    > conceived, engineered, designed and built, maybe it's time Hobie
                    > woke up and
                    > smelled the coffee and started building them again.
                    >

                    > Sheesh, are you guys and gals all a sleeping?
                    > I lob out a duck like that and no one even Flicks their Bic, much
                    > less
                    > flames me like I deserved <Grin>
                    > Hmmmmmm, maybe ya'll are all out sailing and I slipped one over the
                    > plate.
                    >
                    > Stephen
                    > H-18

                    LOL, I didn't comment because I agreed 100%!

                    Damon Linkous
                    Hobie 18 Magnum 1981 (for sale)
                    Hobie 18 Magnum 1992
                    Memphis, Tennessee
                    http://www.TheBeachcats.com
                  • James Wenzel

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 8, 2007
                        You should check the financial condition of HobieCat
                        before commenting on their dropping of most models.
                        They have kept the Hobie Tiger and Hobie 16 for the
                        go-fast crowd. They have kept the econnomical to make
                        and durable Getaway for hotels and others renting
                        beachcats. They may have made the best decisions for
                        all.

                        Ted
                        --- James Wenzel <jmwenzel@...> wrote:

                        > No I did not respond because it is true!
                        >

                        > On Jul 7, 2007, at 4:58 PM, HobieCatSailor@...
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > In a message dated 7/5/2007 9:39:23 A.M. Mountain
                        > Daylight Time,
                        > HobieCatSailor@... writes:
                        >
                        > Being as how the Hobie 18 is the finest, most
                        > versatile catamaran ever
                        > conceived, engineered, designed and built, maybe
                        > it's time Hobie woke up and
                        > smelled the coffee and started building them again.
                        >
                        > Sheesh, are you guys and gals all a sleeping?
                        > I lob out a duck like that and no one even Flicks
                        > their Bic, much less
                        > flames me like I deserved <Grin>
                        > Hmmmmmm, maybe ya'll are all out sailing and I
                        > slipped one over the plate.
                        >
                        > Stephen
                        > H-18

                        > removed]

                        > removed]

                        http://sims.yahoo.com/
                      • S Cleave
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                          If you're Boomers experiencing some additional cargo loads but still like to go fast, I think you're being invited to look at Nacras now. I don't understand the strategy involved in discontinuing large fiberglass beach cats at Hobie, in light of the demographics of population, age and wealth, but they know more than I do. How many of us bought a new Hobie 18 or 20 when they were being made? And many of us may age out of catamarans altogether, into larger monohulls where we can sit upright, stay dry and keep drinks cold in the cabin.
                          sc

                        • James Biggs
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                            I have a chance to buy at Mcgregor Catamaran. Does anyone know about them? I looked them up on the net and have not really seen anything about them.
                            This is info on it. Not sure of the size but the little info on saw on them they are 14.5 or 15. What do yall think?
                            I have a Mcgregar catamaran that i will let go for $450. It has new stainless steel stanchions with roller furling. It also has a dry storage to keep your gear and a new trampoline.

                          • gevoniuk
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                              Consider the H16. It's a great solo boat that can also carry two
                              (actually I guess it was designed as a two-man that could be sailed
                              single-handed). One person can muscle it on/off the trailer and
                              into/out of the water. Fast. Fun. Can be bought used for $1000 or
                              so - parts are easy to get.

                              GaryE
                              H16
                              Durham, NC

                              --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <eduderutinruf@...> wrote:

                              > My wife and I together would go about 400 lbs. She would be with me
                              > some, but mostly I would sail alone. (She's a fair weather sailor at
                              > best and I sail year round.)I would be predominantly flat water lake
                              > sailing with the occasional trip to the bays at the Gulf of Mexico.
                              > Also, I'm 3 miles from the boat launch so trailering not much of a
                              > problem. And, I am physically fit.

                            • John Kester
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                                Any pictures,and where are you and what year boat, sounds kind of cheap.
                                daysailor61

                                I have a chance to buy at Mcgregor Catamaran. Does anyone know about them? I looked them up on the net and have not really seen anything about them.
                                This is info on it. Not sure of the size but the little info on saw on them they are 14.5 or 15. What do yall think?
                                I have a Mcgregar catamaran that i will let go for $450. It has new stainless steel stanchions with roller furling. It also has a dry storage to keep your gear and a new trampoline.

                              • molarwkr

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                                    Does it look like this one?
                                    http://test.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3342

                                    Venture 15 by Macgregor
                                    They were $895 brand new
                                    http://www.ne-ts.com/mac/bb/76brop8.html

                                    Damon Linkous
                                    Hobie 18 Magnum 1981 (for sale)
                                    Hobie 18 Magnum 1992
                                    Memphis, Tennessee
                                    http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                                    >I have a chance to buy at Mcgregor Catamaran. Does anyone know about
                                    >them? I looked them up on the net and have not really seen anything
                                    >about them.
                                    > This is info on it. Not sure of the size but the little info on saw
                                    > on them they are 14.5 or 15. What do yall think?
                                    > I have a Mcgregar catamaran that i will let go for $450. It has
                                    > new stainless steel stanchions with roller furling. It also has a
                                    > dry storage to keep your gear and a new trampoline.

                                    > Group Home
                                    > http://www.TheBeachcats.com
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • mattson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 9, 2007
                                      I owned a McGregor Venture Cat back in the 1980s. A heavy boat, with
                                      a 2 peice mast, aluminum rudders, and a big ugly pipe across the
                                      bows. I don't think I ever even flew a hull on that boat.

                                      I suppose it could be worth $450 if it is in really good shape. Note
                                      that you did not find anything about them on the net. Now, think
                                      about looking on the net to find advice on the boat or find parts.
                                      In that regard, you'd be better off finding a cheap Hobie or Nacra.
                                      If you don't mind putting some elbow grease into a boat, they are
                                      out there. They are way more popular and you'll find more resources
                                      on them when you need help or parts.

                                      Here is a Hobie 18 I picked up for $100:

                                      http://www.catsail.com/projects/hobie18-1/

                                      If I recall correctly, the guy wanted $600. I offered him $100, and
                                      he laughed at me. He called me 3 weeks later and told me it was
                                      mine. I sailed it after just cleaning it up. After putting about
                                      $400 into it, I had it on Catalina Island.

                                      Here is another one that I picked up for less than you probably paid
                                      for dinner last night:

                                      http://www.catsail.com/projects/hobie18-2/

                                      I don't have any "after" shots of the last one, and I have already
                                      sold it.

                                      Bill
                                    • John Schwartz
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 10, 2007
                                        Here is another one that I picked up for less than you probably paid
                                        for dinner last night:

                                        Good old Hoover, it paid for my dinner.

                                        http://www.catsail <http://www.catsail.com/projects/hobie18-1/>

                                        http://www.catsail <http://www.catsail.com/projects/hobie18-2/>

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 12, 2007
                                          I too started with a Macgregor Venute 15, which I discovered over time was
                                          a poorly designed copy of a Hobe 16. Hold out for a better boat, it won't
                                          cost you that much more.

                                          Dave

                                          >From: "John Schwartz" <c152u@...>
                                          >To: <beachcats@yahoogroups.com>
                                          >Subject: RE: [beachcats] Re: Mcgregar catamaran info?
                                          >Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:46:21 -0700
                                          >
                                          >Here is another one that I picked up for less than you probably paid
                                          >for dinner last night:
                                          >

                                          >Good old Hoover, it paid for my dinner.

                                          Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!�
                                          http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
                                        • jv1234_99
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 30, 2007
                                            Dave (Furniture Dude?): Are you still looking for a boat? If so
                                            and if you're interested in an inexpensive Hobie 16, there's one for
                                            sale over here in the Jackson MS area. Contact me off list at
                                            jv1234_99 <at> yahoo <dot> com.

                                            Jerome Vaughan
                                            Hobie 16
                                            Clinton, Mi'sippi