Re: Beach ramp

  • gevoniuk
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Speedawg" <speedawg@...> wrote:
      ....I have tried
      > beach wheels which were pretty much a nightmare to attach and remove
      > from the boat by myself.

      Beach wheels (if you can afford them!) should not be that hard to
      attach and remove by yourself on an H16. I do this all the time - it's
      mostly a matter of technique. You want to roll the wheels in from the
      bow end - the rocker on H16 hulls really helps here. Get the hulls
      onto the cradles, then you can lift one side of the boat and then the
      other to scoot them back far enough that you can hold onto the dolphin
      striker (facing the sterns), put your foot on the axle and shove it
      further back under the boat (while pulling foward on the DS). Once the
      ends of the axles are even with the shrouds just tie them to the base
      of the shrouds and you are good to go. You can then move the boat by
      going back to the rear, lifting one of the sterns and away you go.
      Removing is just the opposite of this process. Untie, lift up the boat
      a little, and shove the wheels forward and out from under the boat with
      your foot.

      For shorter distances I just use 3 pieces of PVC pipe (cheaper!) but
      you have to stop every 10 feet or so and move a pipe.

      GaryE
      H16
      Durham, NC
    • Doug Snell
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Gary;

        Cheap beach wheels for a 16.
        http://dgaleana2.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=tips&action=display&thread=1143785090

        Doug

        gevoniuk wrote:

        > --- In beachcats@yahoogrou ps.com
        > <mailto:beachcats%40yahoogroups.com>, "Speedawg" <speedawg@.. .> wrote:
        > ....I have tried
        > > beach wheels which were pretty much a nightmare to attach and remove
        > > from the boat by myself.
        >
        > Beach wheels (if you can afford them!) should not be that hard to
        > attach and remove by yourself on an H16. I do this all the time - it's
        > mostly a matter of technique. You want to roll the wheels in from the
        > bow end - the rocker on H16 hulls really helps here. Get the hulls
        > onto the cradles, then you can lift one side of the boat and then the
        > other to scoot them back far enough that you can hold onto the dolphin
        > striker (facing the sterns), put your foot on the axle and shove it
        > further back under the boat (while pulling foward on the DS). Once the
        > ends of the axles are even with the shrouds just tie them to the base
        > of the shrouds and you are good to go. You can then move the boat by
        > going back to the rear, lifting one of the sterns and away you go.
        > Removing is just the opposite of this process. Untie, lift up the boat
        > a little, and shove the wheels forward and out from under the boat with
        > your foot.
        >
        > For shorter distances I just use 3 pieces of PVC pipe (cheaper!) but
        > you have to stop every 10 feet or so and move a pipe.
        >
        > GaryE
        > H16
        > Durham, NC
        >

        > .

      • Speedawg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2007
          Thanks Doug, These look pretty interesting. I think I will try them.

          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, Doug Snell <dsnell4@...> wrote:

          > Gary;
          >
          > Cheap beach wheels for a 16.
          > http://dgaleana2.proboards56.com/index.cgi?
          board=tips&action=display&thread=1143785090

          > Doug
          >

          > gevoniuk wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In beachcats@yahoogrou ps.com
          > > <mailto:beachcats%40yahoogroups.com>, "Speedawg" <speedawg@ .>
          wrote:
          > > ....I have tried
          > > > beach wheels which were pretty much a nightmare to attach and
          remove
          > > > from the boat by myself.
          > >
          > > Beach wheels (if you can afford them!) should not be that hard to
          > > attach and remove by yourself on an H16. I do this all the time -
          it's
          > > mostly a matter of technique. You want to roll the wheels in from
          the
          > > bow end - the rocker on H16 hulls really helps here. Get the hulls
          > > onto the cradles, then you can lift one side of the boat and then
          the
          > > other to scoot them back far enough that you can hold onto the
          dolphin
          > > striker (facing the sterns), put your foot on the axle and shove
          it
          > > further back under the boat (while pulling foward on the DS).
          Once the
          > > ends of the axles are even with the shrouds just tie them to the
          base
          > > of the shrouds and you are good to go. You can then move the boat
          by
          > > going back to the rear, lifting one of the sterns and away you go.
          > > Removing is just the opposite of this process. Untie, lift up the
          boat
          > > a little, and shove the wheels forward and out from under the
          boat with
          > > your foot.
          > >
          > > For shorter distances I just use 3 pieces of PVC pipe (cheaper!)
          but
          > > you have to stop every 10 feet or so and move a pipe.
          > >
          > > GaryE
          > > H16
          > > Durham, NC
          > >

          > > .

          4/27/2007 1:39 PM

        • Barry Lay
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2007
            You can make a beach trailer out of 2x4s - very simple to do with
            Simpson angle brackets at the corners for strength. You can use
            wheelbarrow wheels or even make wooden wheels by making 2 circles about
            10 or 12 inches in diameter out of plywood and joining them with 1 by
            slats about 10 or 12 inches long. In other words you end up with a
            wooden drum, and stick an axle through the center. It rolls over even
            the softest sand very easily.

            Barry

            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Speedawg" <speedawg@...> wrote:

            > Hi all. I have purchased a new H16 which I keep on a local beach for
            > the sailing season. I really do not like dragging it on and off the
            > beach as it is slightly uphill and pretty hard to do by myself, and
            > dragging on the sand will eventually damage the hulls. I have tried
            > beach wheels which were pretty much a nightmare to attach and remove
            > from the boat by myself. I built a ramp out of black pvc pipe
            connected
            > with rope which was so far the easiest to get boat in and out of the
            > water but still seemed to rub white off the bottoms of the hulls.
            Does
            > anybody here have any thoughts as to what I may try next? The beach
            > where I rent space is public and I cannot put anything bulky or
            > permanent. Thanks.

          • Doug Snell
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2007
              Barry/Guys: