Re: http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=201249

  • hobiegary
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
      I like the sticker system Talmadge. This is a way of declaring that
      you are the responsible party for the boat. I would be glad to claim
      responsibility and liability for my boat the operation thereof, in
      exchange for the privileges of using the same beaches as all of the
      other citizens.

      GARY

      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, stcbaker@... wrote:

      > That's a shame ya'll have so much trouble getting into the
      water.Here in
      > beautiful South Carolina , Myrtle Beach requires you just notify the
      police and
      > they come out and put a sticker on your boat so if someone pushes it
      in the
      > ocean they would know who it belonged to. (that was the cops
      reason). And this
      > is at no charge to you. Cherry Grove beach didn't require anything . Of
      > course common sense is required. Its really crowded in the summer
      months.
      > Talmadge

    • hobiegary
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
        Forget about beaching! Just sail within a couple of hundred feet of a
        beach and you will get a visit from a local authority; Land there and
        you will get surrounded by the authorities who will be anxious to
        threaten to make you pay the price for violating their boundries;
        THEIR boundries.

        GARY

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Price" <pprice@...> wrote:

        > Glenn-
        >
        > Excellent sleuthing. Note the verbiage "Except at specific locations
        designated by the director...". In the case of most public beaches in
        OC, no doubt the powers that be have erred on the side of caution
        (liability) and made beaching or launching a beach cat prohibited
        anywhere where there are likely to be bathers, etc.(CA 655.2).

        > Now if I could just FIND a cat over here, I wouldn't have to worry
        about these issues ;-)

      • Patrick Price
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
          You're right, Gary. But they probably have to break it down to the lowest common-denominator. Although there are many sailors who are experienced and capable (present company included ;-) ... ), they probably have to guard against those who don't have the expertise in boat handling and would just mow people down when coming into (or off of) the beach. Kind of like speed bumps in the water - now THERE"S a concept!

        • stcbaker@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
            Myrtle Beach only required the sticker if you were leaving the boat on the
            beach overnight . We took the sails into the hotel room at night . The down
            side to that was the next day one of the lifeguards told me he left the lounge
            around two in the morning and he said someone was passed out on the tramp.
            Its still alll good .Talmadge

          • molarwkr
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
              We have speed bumps on our lakes—we call them waves.

              _____

              --- In beachcats@yahoogrou <mailto:beachcats%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,

              http://www.thelog <http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=201249>
              com/news/newsview.asp?c=201249

              > These are the LA county restrictions, of which I am aware:
              >
              > LA County code (parks and recreation)
              > > 17.04.750 Launching and recovery of vessels--Location.
              > > A person shall not launch into or remove from park waters any
              vessel
              > > except at specific locations designated by the director for the
              > > purpose of launching and recovery of vessels, or in accordance with
              > > permits issued by the director. (Ord. 10729 § 16 (part), 1973: Ord.
              > > 10309 Art. 5 § 108, 1971.)
              >
              > LA County code (harbors)
              > > 19.12.710 Launching or recovering vessels--Permit required
              when--Locations
              > > restricted.
              > > A. A person shall not launch into or remove from the waters of a
              harbor,
              > > waterway or maritime facility any vessel weighing more than 200
              > > pounds except at specific locations designated by the director for
              > > the purpose of launching and recovery of vessels, or in accordance
              > > with permit issued by the director.
              >
              > So, an A-cat could be legally launched in the harbor without a permit!
              > Well, except subject to the following:
              >
              > CA code:
              > > 655.2. (a) Every owner, operator, or person in command of any
              > > vessel propelled by machinery is guilty of a misdemeanor who
              uses it,
              > > or permits it to be used, at a speed in excess of five miles per
              > > hour in any portion of the following areas not otherwise
              regulated by
              > > local rules and regulations:
              > > (1) Within 100 feet of any person who is engaged in the act of
              > > bathing. A person engaged in the sport of water skiing shall not be
              > > considered as engaged in the act of bathing for the purposes of this
              > > section.
              > > (2) Within 200 feet of any of the following:
              > > (A) A beach frequented by bathers.
              > > (B) A swimming float, diving platform, or lifeline.
              > > (C) A way or landing float to which boats are made fast or which
              > > is being used for the embarkation or discharge of passengers.
              > > (b) This section does not apply to vessels engaged in direct law
              > > enforcement activities which are displaying the lights prescribed by
              > > Section 652.5. Those vessels are also exempt from any locally
              > > imposed speed regulation adopted pursuant to Section 660.
              >
              > So that pretty much rules out all LA county beaches, except where
              > explicitly permitted.
              >
              > --Glenn

            • WLP
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
                I have a few lakes around here that I never considered sailing before. I
                guess after you sail a lake there is no need to rinse your boat? No salt
                right….? Which brings me to my next thought. Do the boats float deeper in
                fresh water? And how does that affect speed? Inquiring minds want to know!

                FL Bill (St. Petersburg)

                _____

                "Patrick Price" <pprice@...> wrote:

                > Glenn-
                >
                > Excellent sleuthing. Note the verbiage "Except at specific locations
                designated by the director...". In the case of most public beaches in
                OC, no doubt the powers that be have erred on the side of caution
                (liability) and made beaching or launching a beach cat prohibited
                anywhere where there are likely to be bathers, etc.(CA 655.2).

                > Now if I could just FIND a cat over here, I wouldn't have to worry
                about these issues ;-)

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                  FL Bill, Just a thought from someone who still sails in So Cal, I have
                  used a temporary line connected to jib halyard (or or main halyard or
                  trap line?), pulled forward thru front bridle or tang, then back to
                  the tramp. Once I heft the mast into place I just pull the line and
                  lash it to something until I pin the forestay. Works even better with
                  the wind from aft and/or the boat is lower foreward.

                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "WLP" <wlpupo@...> wrote:

                  > I remember sailing in South Cali as a young boy, 20-30 years ago. It
                  was not
                  > such a production! Of course I am only 36 now, so what do I really
                  remember?
                  > Now, here in FL, we can launch from hundreds of places for free.
                  Even free
                  > parking. Biggest problem I have is pinning my forestay. That is one
                  of the
                  > problems of going by your self. Last week I was at the launch so
                  early the
                  > only person there was an elderly man who really had a had time
                  getting the
                  > pin in.he looked so stressed I thought he was going to drop out! But
                  he did
                  > alright and when I asked him if he wanted to join me he said he
                  would but
                  > had things to do. I really need to get more friend I guess?
                  >

                  > Happy New Years!
                  >
                  > FL Bill (St. Petersburg)
                  >
                  > _____

                  On Behalf
                  > Of stcbaker@...
                  > Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 3:11 PM
                  > To: beachcats@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [beachcats] Re:
                  > http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=201249
                  >

                  > That's a shame ya'll have so much trouble getting into the
                  water.Here in
                  > beautiful South Carolina , Myrtle Beach requires you just notify the
                  police
                  > and
                  > they come out and put a sticker on your boat so if someone pushes it
                  in the
                  > ocean they would know who it belonged to. (that was the cops
                  reason). And
                  > this
                  > is at no charge to you. Cherry Grove beach didn't require anything . Of
                  > course common sense is required. Its really crowded in the summer
                  months.
                  > Talmadge

                • WLP
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Yeah, my brother does something like that. And I have actually done that one
                    time my self. In fact it was the first time I set the boat up in my yard
                    after I got it. I just had to make sure I could do it, but I normally can
                    get someone to pin me in less time. In the end the important thing is being
                    on the water.

                    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ig&q=weather+33712> Saint
                    Petersburg, FL

                    73°F