Hmmm - another Kindred Spirit

  • John Schwartz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Here's the vision; 50 beachcats and sport boats screaming down the beach
      toward destiny... when will this dream come to fruition? Spring of 07! On
      the morning of the venerable Newport to Ensenada Race we will be launching
      the Newport to Mission Bay Blast, (unless you got a better name for it) It
      will have all the benefits of Newport-Ensenada with none of the usual
      nightmares (all night drifting, border hassles, bad fish tacos, Mexican jail
      etc.) All that's needed is a core group of enthusiasts to push the idea and
      build critical mass. How about a 5 stop coastal feeder race starting in
      Santa Barbara? Too much, too bold? Perhaps, but there ARE hundreds of
      beachcat sailors out there who could make this the premier west coast cat
      race... Lots of guys have been doing the race bootleg style for many years,
      now www. <http://www.xsracing.org> xsracing.org could help us make it real.
      what do you fellers think? Check out xsracing.org's forums, let's make it
      happen...

    • tamishel
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        luvya John, but the whole xsracing thing comes across as Reynolds'
        answer to being kicked out of ORMA races...

        Is it really necessary to confuscate multihull sailing in the US with
        yet ANOTHER racing organisation? Join NAMSA!

        sea ya
        tami
      • John Schwartz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          Tami:

          Could agree with you any less than 100%, but what the west coast lacks is an
          organizing body (outside of the Hobie consortia) to promote racing and
          possibly bring some distance, and more multi manufacture regatta's to
          California - Jack Young at Performance said it best "when it comes to
          beachable catamarans, California is an Island." Just now we are starting to
          get more yacht clubs to host a beachcat class for for some of the races
          (with the exception of the dung heads at the Ventura Yacht Club who zealotry
          stated "under no circumstances are we ever going to allow dinghy sizes
          catamarans participate in any of our sponsored events), and IMPO what we
          need, is to pull all of this together under one body like the other groups
          out there. If Randy Reynolds or any one wants to thumb there nose at the
          establishment, break a few rules, pull all different events & organizations
          together, organize some events, and bring the COST of hosting these events
          down for the west coast, than what the Fire trUCK, I'm in.

          BTW - Erik is growing like a weed, already crawling - send pix later.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            I'll drag my SC20 from WA!

            Dave

            >From: "John Schwartz" <C152U@...>
            >To: <beachcats@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [beachcats] Re: Hmmm - another Kindred Spirit
            >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:05:02 -0700
            >
            >Tami:
            >
            >Could agree with you any less than 100%, but what the west coast lacks is
            >an
            >organizing body (outside of the Hobie consortia) to promote racing and
            >possibly bring some distance, and more multi manufacture regatta's to
            >California - Jack Young at Performance said it best "when it comes to
            >beachable catamarans, California is an Island." Just now we are starting
            >get more yacht clubs to host a beachcat class for for some of the races
            >(with the exception of the dung heads at the Ventura Yacht Club who
            >zealotry
            >stated "under no circumstances are we ever going to allow dinghy sizes
            >catamarans participate in any of our sponsored events), and IMPO what we
            >need, is to pull all of this together under one body like the other groups
            >out there. If Randy Reynolds or any one wants to thumb there nose at the
            >establishment, break a few rules, pull all different events & organizations
            >together, organize some events, and bring the COST of hosting these events
            >down for the west coast, than what the Fire trUCK, I'm in.
            >
            >BTW - Erik is growing like a weed, already crawling - send pix later.

          • Scott Boyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              ALL - fyi:

              Hobie Publications:

              1.

              http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&si
              d=215&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

              2.

              The electronic version of Hobie HOTLINE can be read at:
              http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/

            • Lee
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                It was ORCA that the 33's were kicked out of.Not much different than
                what Hobie did to the other multi's. If I were Randy, I would do the
                same. Since Performance Cat wont lift a lazy finger to host any big
                reggattas for us out here (West Coast), I am happy to see that Randy
                is including us. Some of the open minded Hobie fraternity are trying
                to get us back to the reggattas. I would like to be the first to say
                thanks to Randy and our local dealer Jon Papa. I think Jon was the one
                urging Randy to bring in the beachcats in the first place. Before
                anyone has any thing else negative to say about Randy and this issue,
                think about if this is something you would be a part of in the first
                place. The R33 has gotten a bit of bad press lately. Any boat can flip
                over if you drive it hard enough in rough conditions. The supposed
                reason for ORCA's decision was that the R33 couldnt be righted. That
                is total Bull Shit. Not that it cant be righted. But what about all
                the "F" boats that do those races. And Afterburner? Can you right
                them...Tami? Just more politics out here than appears on the surface.
                So, lets thank Randy, rather than bash him. Lee
              • tamishel
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <prosail1@...> wrote:
                  (schnip!) >Before anyone has any thing else negative to say about
                  Randy and this issue,
                  > think about if this is something you would be a part of...

                  Nope, I wouldn't be a part of it.

                  First, it's my contention that if you Calif. boys wanted to create
                  an organization, you should have gotten off your asses and joined
                  NAMSA or some other ESTABLISHED organisation. Y'all could have
                  created your own NACRA fleet, or revived an old one that was already
                  in existence. (I do believe NACRA fleet 1 is a Calif. fleet...) That
                  works, we did it here in Miz'sippi with the old Coast Cat Club. Why
                  wait for Performance? They're busy building boats...

                  Second, I'm gonna answer Lee by quoting a well-thought reply from
                  the catsailor.com site:

                  ""Nope. Their goal is create a racing organizational body that will
                  allow racing between "high performance" sail boats. The ratings
                  things is their way of making that happen. But if you've ever been
                  involved with scoring and handicap systems I believe they are sadly
                  mistaken as to how it will work out.

                  First, they are taking the US Sailing base DPN numbers and
                  converting them to PHRF for your rating. Claim is that Portsmouth
                  only rates the boats - but anybody who knows about Portsmouth knows
                  that the numbers are indeed affected by the crews sailing the boats.
                  Also, anybody who's sailed Portsmouth knows you need the wind
                  corrections to make it work better - no wind corrections in XS.

                  Even though Portsmouth rates both monos and multis, I doubt that the
                  numbers are going to provide for fair boats on the same course
                  racing, especially with out the wind corrections. Maybe after a few
                  years of data is processed in US Sailing (so this would be a good
                  thing to gather that data). But the differences in how monos and
                  multis react to different wind speeds will make this useless without
                  wind corrections.

                  And the goal of removing the politcal aspect of PHRF rating boards
                  will only be replaced by the politics of members voting on ratings
                  changes. And the one thing that PHRF does well, which to capture
                  that different designs perform differently in different venues due
                  to the design's strengths and weaknesses is lost with their "simpler
                  system".

                  The following link is to their ratings page, where they state right
                  up front they are not a ratings organization. But they will have a
                  system to vote changes in ratings. Which makes them an organization
                  that maintains ratings. Which is it? Do they think their voting will
                  go to US Sailing to change the PNs, or will they maintain their pile
                  of converted ratings, thus undermining the original concept of their
                  rating system a bit? Will they re-vote on ratings and adjust when US
                  Sailing posts the yearly updates?

                  On last quibble - their site looks like they stole Sailing Anarchy
                  lock, stock, and barrel.

                  The whole thing comes off as an attempt to create a new org because
                  they were banned from existing orgs, and creating a new site because
                  they get criticized on SA for being capsize-happy (and ripping off
                  the format of that site).

                  Although that all sounds very negative, I wish them luck. An org
                  that caters to the hotter boats might bring about some excitement.
                  But I think the things they are proposing display a lack of
                  experience with the very type of thing they are trying to create.

                  Keith
                  N20 Pirates of the Chesapeake
                  N6.0 Katzenjammer,F27 TriPawed""