So, you're a lifeguard?

  • Ken Wittlief
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      [ The continuing adventures of Hobie1KenHobie ]

      Was out on lake ontario yesterday, the wind dropped to about 4 knots
      around 6PM, so I sailed in close past the open beach area at Duran
      Eastman park.

      I was doing about 4 mph in between all the boats anchored by the
      beach, staying just outside the people who were swimming. Passing a
      group of teenage kids one yelled out "Hey, take us for a ride!"

      I told them I can only take two at a time, so two teenage guys swam
      over. We cruised along in about 4 feet of water about 200 yards down
      the beach, tacked and went back. The one kid said, " you gotta take
      Alison for a ride, its her birthday"

      so I put the H16 on the beach, and these 4 girls come over, maybe
      12 or 14. They all wanted to go for a ride on the hobie, and a
      couple couldnt swim, so we set off down the beach in about 2 feet of
      water, with my rudders dragging from time to time.

      About 200 yards down the beach the youngest looking girl says, "So,
      you're a life guard?"

      I asked her, what makes you think Im a life guard? and she
      says, "Cause you have orange swim trunks and an orange tee shirt and
      that whistle around your neck"

      I explained that I wear orange because I sail alone, and if I fall
      overboard I want to be highly visable.

      "Oh ... [long pause]

      all four girls look at me with this dazed expression

      can we go back now?"

      It never occurred to me that anyone would think a lifeguard would
      sail up and down a beachfront on a hobiecat :^)

      -Ken Wittlief H16 'HydroManiac'
      Rochester, NY
    • catflyer2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        Ken, I'm going to call you "Lifeguard" from now
        on!
        Brian --