Re: Beach in L.A., CA area

  • pa38112a
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 7:57 AM
      Let's not forget Santa Barbara where you can not only beach launch but
      store your boat on Leadbetter Beach – just like the old days. Or if
      your up to it Santa Cruz and San Diego.

      Two years ago we tried to have Hobie Beach in Channel Islands Harbor
      (check out the archives at www.thebeachcats.com) reopened; however,
      the efforts failed for various reasons. The two salient points for
      this failure are:

      The harbor district was willing to spend the money to improve with
      usage, funny thing – only a few used it after the Hobie Beach grand
      opening. With budgets being what they are I can't blame them for not
      wanting to spend the money to improve the area. I had spoken with the
      CI Harbor District last fall to see if the could drop more sand and
      make Hobie better than what it was – NOPE – NEVER GOT USED. It seams
      that there is a mantra afoot by some cat sailors "take down mast –
      drive – set mast up – go sailing – take mast down – drive – set mast
      up – go home – all in the same day – nope not for me" - simply put
      don't complain about not having a beach if your not going to use it.

      The second point is -there is no unity amount beachcat sailor to push
      for the common good of the group – I wonder what is going to happen
      when the City of Long Beach implements converting Claremont to metered
      parking (like Santa Barbara did), and only let the ramp be used for
      special occasions sponsored by the ABYC or any other group that is
      willing to get the permits from the LGB Beaches and Harbor District –
      yes boys & girls this was presented at a city meeting and if Beverley
      O'Neil and her merry little band of revenue nazi's have their way it
      will happen. Who is going to lead the charge to keep it open? Not
      me, I live in Ventura – doesn't affect me why should I care – that
      means I would have to take my mast down yadda yadda yadaa - sound
      apathetic – hmmmmmmmm. Let's not even think what would happen if the
      closed the beach on Catalina.

      Also to mention, I had polled the group a while back about the
      feasibility of having mast up storage at the Ventura harbor with beach
      access and/or beach (reference staging area for the Ventura Hobie Blue
      Water Regatta) launching privileges if it meant paying a fee to cover
      the insurance to the Harbor District. Not one of the responses was
      positive, not one person said – yes I'm in - how much, and what can I
      do to help.

      Bottom line – please doesn't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining.
      You want a beach get off your duff and do something about, or if some
      else is the leading the charge support their efforts and stop
      complaining or undermining the cause. When it comes to dealing with
      the government you need to make your voice heard to get what it is you
      want plain and simple. Chances are Orange County would open San Juan
      Capistrano Beach if some group were to approach them and ask. Chances
      are Hobie Beach would be the Mecca it once was if you stopped looking
      at what it was, and envisioned what could be. Chances are Topanga,
      Playa del Rey, etc would have an area for catamarans if someone would
      contact the county.

      There is a simple equation in life – do nothing – get nothing. In
      JFK's inaugural speech one of the closing line was "ask not what your
      country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" or
      paraphrased by father – if your not going to facilitate change don't
      complain.

      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@c...> wrote:
      > Wow Sheldon, You were number one?! That is some special bragging
      > right! I'll bet you can bridge us a connection to those days of bingo
      > on beach blankets, on up that coastal path.
      >
      > The loss of beach access due to mother nature's errosion is one thing,
      > but what must it be like to be a Hobie sailor down Capistrano way
      > where Hobie Alter designed the So. CA beach catamaran, and sailed the
      > surf;;; now to be outlawed upon our beahces? This is such a sad
      > story. I live in the footprints of these great surfers and catsailors
      > and can not even try their stunts without being arrested.
      >
      > The term, "A Sail In The Surf" is not a feasible idea in Southern
      > California any longer. So so so so so so so SAD!
      >
      > GARY
      > Southern California native
      > Catamaran Sailor, So. CA, sails in the off-shore waves, does not land
      > or launch through the surf (except when visiting off-shore islands)
      >
      > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Sheldon" <nesdog1122@y...> wrote:
      > > Matt,
      > >
      > > I had my P-18 at South Topanga (South of the Charthouse below the
      > > Getty) for many years. (I had permit #1 when we pursuaded the County
      > > to allow launching). In the old days, it was a great place to be with
      > > as many as 60 boats parked there, a dozen out every weekend,
      Wednesday
      > > night BBQ's, volleyball and more. Alas, the beach eroded badly over
      > > the years and now hosts a rocky shoreline. The County officially
      > > closed it as a storage facility a few years ago and launching is no
      > > longer permitted.
      > >
      > > Both Trancas (North Zuma) and Playa Del Rey were designated the same
      > > but are now closed. Anyone sailing along the sand in other areas is
      > > likely a home owner. Launching/landing upon a public beach like Zuma
      > > will get you a citation.
      > >
      > > As Gary said, LB area/Cabrillo/Belmont are now the only spots to
      > > launch on sand but no parking. Further north, "miracle man" John S.
      > > did get us launching within Channel Is. Harbor in Oxnard but no
      > > storage at this time. I keep my boat in Ventura Harbor mast up and we
      > > launch from the dock but do have a beach within the harbor for stops.
      > >
      > > Sheldon
      > >

      > > --- >
      > > > Yeah thats what I thought. I went and checked out Topanga but that
      > > > beach is a piece of #$@*. Tons of rocks. I saw a hobie 14 with
      its
      > > > sail up(either that or a 16 uni riged) on the beach in between Las
      > > > Virgenes and Topanga about a week ago. I couldn't stop and ask
      > > where
      > > > it launched, but it could be sitting on the beach in front of
      one of
      > > > those houses year round. Who knows. I wish I could launch at
      Zuma,
      > > > but I have no idea about how legal it would be.
      > > >
      > > > Matt G
      > > > Hobie 16 SN#1960
      > > > Burbank CA
    • Sheldon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 8:09 AM
        I'm not so sure that having that piece of paper is bragging
        rights...before that happened, it was free to sail there!

        And this wasn't so long ago, occuring about 1985. It was fun, though.
        Right up to that winter morning when a large swell took out about 15
        boats. I was parked behind the sea wall and survived intact.

        The biggest issue for the County, and rightfully so, is liability. We
        had to carry insurance and name them as additional insured. I can't
        tell you how many times newbies had problems launching and landing in
        the smallest surf, capsizing and hitting beach goers (who were not
        supposed to be in our landing zone). The lifeguards, who kept a
        beachcat there also, were always having to seek out the new sailors
        and "give them the 'be careful' speech".

        In any event, here is Topanga in earlier days:

        http://tinyurl.com/72egd

        Sheldon

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@c...> wrote:
        > Wow Sheldon, You were number one?! That is some special bragging
        > right! I'll bet you can bridge us a connection to those days of
        bingo
        > on beach blankets, on up that coastal path.
        >
        > The loss of beach access due to mother nature's errosion is one
        thing,
        > but what must it be like to be a Hobie sailor down Capistrano way
        > where Hobie Alter designed the So. CA beach catamaran, and sailed the
        > surf;;; now to be outlawed upon our beahces? This is such a sad
        > story. I live in the footprints of these great surfers and
        catsailors
        > and can not even try their stunts without being arrested.
        >
        > The term, "A Sail In The Surf" is not a feasible idea in Southern
        > California any longer.
      • hobiegary
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 9:56 AM
          John,

          Just a note to let you know that the Prozac dosage reduction is not
          working well for you. Go back to the larger dose.

          GARY

        • mattnd54
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1 10:36 AM
            Perhaps you can give us a little more info about how Claremont is
            threatened. Like when they are having the next meeting. Or
            possibly the date of the meeting where they discussed this so we can
            find minutes. Defintiely would want to lose Claremont. It may not
            matter to you up there in Ventura but I don't want to drive all the
            way down to San Diego to sail of a beach here in So Cal