RE: [beachcats] Re: List morphosis

  • Woszczenko Piotr
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      Nice,

      My son Peter Jr. (4 yr old) went to 2nd group in kindergarden today [this means holidays gone ;-( ] and said to one crying boy:
      Gosh, you are in 2nd kindergaden group, children do not cry in this group !
      Piotr Woszczenko _/)_
      HC16 "Double Nelson", Warsaw Poland

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        Jerome

        I would never be offended by anyones bad spelling or key boarding
        skills. nice story but I think it takes a very low person to use a
        little girls story to pick a fight.

        ;}

        hey everyone else seems to want to bitch about something.

        BC

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "jv1234_99" <jv1234_99@y...> wrote:
        > Beachcats, Beachcats, this is Earth!
        >
        > In an effort to maybe bring this crap down a notch, I'm going to
        > share a story my 10 year old daughter wrote for school. I didn't
        > know anything about it until she brought it home graded the other
        > day. Caution: This is actually on topic and is not intended to
        > offend anyone. Well, it could possibly offend Bill Cash or her
        > mother, because, as bad as my daughter spells, it's still better
        > than either of them. Anyway, the teacher graded it "Great!", and
        > I, of course, believe it should be good for a college scholarship
        or
        > something. Typed just as she wrote it:
        >
        > "Sailing
        >
        > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat. My
        > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named
        Rattle 'n
        > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water. When
        > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When there's
        > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a wire
        > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go fast
        > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on top of
        > the world...after the first time or two."
        >
        > Couldn't have said it better myself.
        >
        > Vaughan
        > Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
        > Future Pulitzer Prize Winning Daughter
        > Clinton, Mississippi
        >
        > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "mattson" <mattson@e...> wrote:
        > > For any new people on the list, please realize that we go through
        > > temporary phases now and then.
        > >
        > > Right now, we are going through another "Shock and Awe" phase. Be
        > > patient, as it will be over soon.
        > >
        > > Bill
      • b_cash_98
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
          Jerome
          in order to avoid any misunderstanding.

          THAT WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE!!
          BC

          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "b_cash_98" <b_cash_98@y...> wrote:
          > Jerome
          >
          > I would never be offended by anyones bad spelling or key boarding
          > skills. nice story but I think it takes a very low person to use a
          > little girls story to pick a fight.
          >
          > ;}
          >
          > hey everyone else seems to want to bitch about something.
          >
          > BC
          >

          > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "jv1234_99" <jv1234_99@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Beachcats, Beachcats, this is Earth!
          > >
          > > In an effort to maybe bring this crap down a notch, I'm going to
          > > share a story my 10 year old daughter wrote for school. I didn't
          > > know anything about it until she brought it home graded the other
          > > day. Caution: This is actually on topic and is not intended to
          > > offend anyone. Well, it could possibly offend Bill Cash or her
          > > mother, because, as bad as my daughter spells, it's still better
          > > than either of them. Anyway, the teacher graded it "Great!",
          and
          > > I, of course, believe it should be good for a college scholarship
          > or
          > > something. Typed just as she wrote it:
          > >
          > > "Sailing
          > >
          > > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat. My
          > > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named
          > Rattle 'n
          > > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water.
          When
          > > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When
          there's
          > > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a wire
          > > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go fast
          > > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on top
          of
          > > the world...after the first time or two."
          > >
          > > Couldn't have said it better myself.
          > >
          > > Vaughan
          > > Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
          > > Future Pulitzer Prize Winning Daughter
          > > Clinton, Mississippi
          > >
          > > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "mattson" <mattson@e...> wrote:
          > > > For any new people on the list, please realize that we go
          through
          > > > temporary phases now and then.
          > > >
          > > > Right now, we are going through another "Shock and Awe" phase.
          Be
          > > > patient, as it will be over soon.
          > > >
          > > > Bill
        • hobiegary
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
            "Couldn't have said it better myself."

            You're right, I couldn't.

            --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@c...> wrote:
            > Keys and Trees
            >
            > Keys are bumpity
            > Trees are bumpity
            >
            > Trees are jagedy
            > Keys are jagedy
            >
            > Keys and Trees
            >

            > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "jv1234_99" <jv1234_99@y...>
            wrote:
            > > Typed just as she wrote it:
            > >
            > > "Sailing
            > >
            > > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat. My
            > > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named
            > Rattle 'n
            > > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water.
            > When
            > > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When
            > there's
            > > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a wire
            > > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go
            fast
            > > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on top
            > of
            > > the world...after the first time or two."
            > >
            > > Couldn't have said it better myself.
            > >
            > > Jerome Vaughan
            > > Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
            > > Future Pulitzer Prize Winning Daughter
            > > Clinton, Mississippi

          • Damon
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
              Jerome,

              That's just excellent!

              I've been very worried lately about the future of beachcat sailing.
              When I'm at regattas I often think that these must be the grandparents
              of the actual racers! These grey headed folks can't be the actual
              participants.

              But it's parents like you, that are able to make sailing fun for their
              kids, that can make a difference.

              Way to go!

              Damon Linkous
              Hobie 18 Magnum
              Memphis Tennessee
              damon(at)TheBeachcats(dot)com
              http://www.TheBeachcats.com

              > In an effort to maybe bring this crap down a notch, I'm going to
              > share a story my 10 year old daughter wrote for school. I didn't
              > know anything about it until she brought it home graded the other
              > day. Caution: This is actually on topic and is not intended to
              > offend anyone. Well, it could possibly offend Bill Cash or her
              > mother, because, as bad as my daughter spells, it's still better
              > than either of them. Anyway, the teacher graded it "Great!", and
              > I, of course, believe it should be good for a college scholarship or
              > something. Typed just as she wrote it:
              >
              > "Sailing
              >
              > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat. My
              > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named Rattle 'n
              > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water. When
              > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When there's
              > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a wire
              > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go fast
              > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on top of
              > the world...after the first time or two."
              >
              > Couldn't have said it better myself.
              >
              > Jerome Vaughan
              > Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
              > Future Pulitzer Prize Winning Daughter
              > Clinton, Mississippi
            • Jack Hoying
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Damon" <damon@l...> wrote:
                "When I'm at regattas I often think that these must be the
                grandparents of the actual racers! These grey headed folks can't be
                the actual participants."

                Hey...I represent that statement!
                Jack (two grandkids)
              • Damon
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > Gosh, you are in 2nd kindergaden group, children do not cry in this
                  group !
                  > Piotr Woszczenko _/)_
                  > HC16 "Double Nelson", Warsaw Poland

                  Piotr,

                  Have you seen the American movie, "A league of their own" with Tom
                  Hanks? Tom has a classic line that became a catch-phrase here...
                  "There's no crying in baseball!"
                  http://www.thebeachcats.com/files/nocrying.wav

                  Damon
                • Woszczenko Piotr
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                    I haven't. I can't play this clip due to some codec problem.
                    Will try later.
                    Cheers
                    Piotr Woszczenko _/)_
                    HC16 "Double Nelson", Warsaw Poland

                    > Gosh, you are in 2nd kindergaden group, children do not cry in this
                    group !
                    > Piotr Woszczenko _/)_
                    > HC16 "Double Nelson", Warsaw Poland

                    Piotr,

                    Have you seen the American movie, "A league of their own" with Tom
                    Hanks? Tom has a classic line that became a catch-phrase here...
                    "There's no crying in baseball!"
                    http://www.thebeachcats.com/files/nocrying.wav

                    Damon

                    Group Home
                    http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • hobiegary
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                      I have never heard that line spoken; that is the first time I have
                      read it.

                      Maybe you need some coffee Damon.

                      GARY

                      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Damon" <damon@l...> wrote:

                      > Have you seen the American movie, "A league of their own" with Tom
                      > Hanks? Tom has a classic line that became a catch-phrase here...
                      > "There's no crying in baseball!"
                      > http://www.thebeachcats.com/files/nocrying.wav
                      >
                      > Damon
                    • jv1234_99
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                        B. Cash: Your humorous reply was just as I expected it might be and
                        was fully understood...Bada Bing! I truly appreciate your
                        contributions to this List!

                        Matt K., B. Mattson, hobiegary, Piotr, Damon, Cary, et. al.: I'm
                        glad y'all enjoyed the post. Truthfully, I hesitated a while before
                        sharing the story, since it is somewhat personal. I guess it just
                        seemed like the List sorta "needed" it, and your replies seem to
                        confirm.

                        My daughter is quite gung-ho about sailing and, for her age and
                        experience, has a real affinity for handling sails, awareness of
                        wind directions, etc. However, her youthful enthusiasm makes me a
                        little nervous sometimes. More than once, she and I have been
                        double-trapped in a little more blow than I would have preferred
                        (with a child on board). I'm back there thinking we need to make a
                        bee-line for the beach and keep the thing steady with the pointy
                        side up...You know, make sure no one gets hurt. I look up at her
                        and she's snarling at the wind and making comments something
                        like "Arrrrrr....is that all you got?" I'm thinkin' it's about time
                        for a lesson on the Wind Gods and their ruthless, ironic Karma.

                        Jerome Vaughan
                        Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
                        Clinton, Mississippi

                      • mattson

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                            :-)
> [...]

                            > > or
                            > > > something. Typed just as she wrote it:
                            > > >
                            > > > "Sailing
                            > > >
                            > > > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat.
                            My
                            > > > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named
                            > > Rattle 'n
                            > > > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water.
                            > When
                            > > > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When
                            > there's
                            > > > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a
                            wire
                            > > > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go
                            fast
                            > > > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on
                            top
                            > of
                            > > > the world...after the first time or two."

                            Group Home
                            http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Cary Palmer
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Just what the list needed, you may notice how we've all settled down.

                              Encourage that wild abandon, she''ll need it for that first Pitchpole.
                              Might not be a bad idea to take her through some capsize drills.
                              Treasure those moments with your daughter.
                              She could not have given you a finer gift as a father.
                              Cary

                              >>> jv1234_99@... 09/02/04 12:40AM >>>
                              B. Cash: Your humorous reply was just as I expected it might be and
                              was fully understood...Bada Bing! I truly appreciate your
                              contributions to this List!

                              Matt K., B. Mattson, hobiegary, Piotr, Damon, Cary, et. al.: I'm
                              glad y'all enjoyed the post. Truthfully, I hesitated a while before
                              sharing the story, since it is somewhat personal. I guess it just
                              seemed like the List sorta "needed" it, and your replies seem to
                              confirm.

                              My daughter is quite gung-ho about sailing and, for her age and
                              experience, has a real affinity for handling sails, awareness of
                              wind directions, etc. However, her youthful enthusiasm makes me a
                              little nervous sometimes. More than once, she and I have been
                              double-trapped in a little more blow than I would have preferred
                              (with a child on board). I'm back there thinking we need to make a
                              bee-line for the beach and keep the thing steady with the pointy
                              side up...You know, make sure no one gets hurt. I look up at her
                              and she's snarling at the wind and making comments something
                              like "Arrrrrr....is that all you got?" I'm thinkin' it's about time
                              for a lesson on the Wind Gods and their ruthless, ironic Karma.

                              Jerome Vaughan
                              Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
                              Clinton, Mississippi

                              > > > "Sailing
                              > > >
                              > > > I love sailing, i'ts hard not to when you're dad has a boat.
                              My
                              > > > dad's boat is a 16' Hobie Catamaran (brand and type) Named
                              > > Rattle 'n
                              > > > Hum. Dad takes me out alot. I's like fliing over the water.
                              > When
                              > > > we sail on the Sea you can tast the water every wave. When
                              > there's
                              > > > alot of wind you trapout. Traping out means you hook on a
                              wire
                              > > > using a harness. That is like riding a roller coster you go
                              fast
                              > > > and the wind wips you're hair. You will fell like you're on
                              top
                              > of
                              > > > the world...after the first time or two."
                              > > >
                              > > > Couldn't have said it better myself.
                              > > >
                              > > > Vaughan
                              > > > Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
                              > > > Future Pulitzer Prize Winning Daughter
                              > > > Clinton, Mississippi

                              PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
                              This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

                            • b_cash_98
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                Jerome,

                                Fear is learned, and very hard to unlearn, you must be doing a
                                fine job as a parent.

                                Bill

                                --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "mattson" <mattson@e...> wrote:
                                > Jerome,
                                >
                                > Have you, or do you plan to, do any racing with her as crew?
                                >
                                > Bill
                                >
                                > "...My daughter is quite gung-ho about sailing and, for her age
                                and
                                > experience, has a real affinity for handling sails, awareness of
                                > wind directions, etc...."
                              • jv1234_99
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  Bill M., Bill C., and Cary: Thanks again for the thoughtful posts
                                  concerning my sailing with my (10 year old) daughter. She hasn't
                                  yet raced with me, but she's definitely ready if the right
                                  conditions exist. We had planned for her to crew with me at the
                                  Slip To Ship Regatta this year in the Mississippi Sound. It's a
                                  distance thing and not very technically demanding...more like a drag
                                  race. However, the wind averaged around 17 mph and seas at least 3
                                  ft. both days, and I didn't want to have her out up to five miles
                                  from any shore with those conditions. It turned out to be a good
                                  decision as it was quite rough in the open water. (Had a blast,
                                  though...one of my friends I usually compete against crewed with
                                  me.) I haven't gotten around to practicing a capsize with my
                                  daughter either, but will soon.

                                  Her 13 year old (MUCH mellower) brother is not really into sailing
                                  so much, and I don't push him. He has raced with me a couple of
                                  times (distance and triangles). I'm not sure he wanted to race so
                                  much as to just be a part of the regatta experience...or just
                                  appease his Dad some...or just get away from his sister for the
                                  weekend. (I'll take what I can get!) He has shown more interest
                                  over the last year or so, however, and really enjoyed our sail a
                                  couple of weeks ago when we did some practice capsizing. There's
                                  still hope!

                                  Both of the children have spent quite a bit of time on small
                                  powerboats and daysailors (monos and cats). I make sure they have
                                  good quality, well-fitting PFD's, harnesses, etc., and we've
                                  practiced the man overbard drill a zillion times. (Like most kids,
                                  they'd rather swim than sail, anyway). Altogether, they're very
                                  comfortable and confident on the water.

                                  After my son and I finished our capsizing practice a couple of weeks
                                  ago on our local pond, my daughter and I went out, and the wind
                                  picked up to around 15 mph. She was trapped out as we screamed
                                  along on a beat, flying a hull past some friends on a Catalina 25.
                                  Then, as she leaned out in a gust, I heard that familiar "ping" ...
                                  she hadn't hooked in properly and dropped like a rock! I fell off,
                                  jibed, headed up, and scooped her smiley self back up onto the
                                  boat. Thinking it might have scared her to do a "real" man
                                  overboard, I asked if she wanted to turn around and call it a day or
                                  get back on the trapeze. Without saying a word, she hooked in,
                                  jerked the dogbone to make sure it was secure in the hook, and got
                                  back on the wire. In no time we were flying a hull past that
                                  Catalina 25 again!

                                  Jerome Vaughan
                                  Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
                                  Clinton, Mississippi

                                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "mattson" <mattson@e...> wrote:
                                  > Jerome,
                                  >
                                  > Have you, or do you plan to, do any racing with her as crew?
                                  >
                                  > Bill
                                  >
                                  > "...My daughter is quite gung-ho about sailing and, for her age
                                  and
                                  > experience, has a real affinity for handling sails, awareness of
                                  > wind directions, etc...."
                                • mattson
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    "...Thanks again for the thoughtful posts concerning my sailing
                                    with my (10 year old) daughter. She hasn't yet raced with me, but
                                    she's definitely ready if the right conditions exist...."

                                    I was curious, since I had such a great time racing with my son. We
                                    started racing together when he was 15 in '97. I think we made A
                                    fleet in '00, and after a season of getting our asses kicked, I
                                    handed him the tiller and crewed for him in C fleet.

                                    We gave it up this year, as he has grown to the point where we are
                                    about 70 lbs overweight as a team. (Okay... I "grew" a bit too.)

                                    Racing with my young son was some of the best times of my life, and
                                    has created a lifetime of memories for both of us. I just wanted to
                                    see if you had considered doing it with your daughter. It sounds
                                    like it will be working out for you two. I envy you, not only that
                                    you get to race with your child, but also that you are going to get
                                    about 5 more years of it than I did.

                                    One dream I have held for years was to compete with my son on the
                                    racecourse. I just learned yesterday that this may come to pass this
                                    November, at the Gold Cup regatta on Lake Mead. This is a single-
                                    handed Hobie 16 regatta, and can be an absolute blast when the wind
                                    comes up. I attended the regatta last year by myself. Yesterday, I
                                    was told that I may be able to borrow a boat for my son for the
                                    event. That puts us both on a race course for the first time on
                                    different boats. A dream-come-true for me.

                                    I'm going to kick his ass.

                                    Bill Mattson

                                    PS: If you're within driving distance of Las Vegas, and are
                                    interested in racing your Hobie 16 single-handed, join me and the
                                    great bunch of sailors at Fleet 51 in November!!!

                                    See: http://www.hobiefleet51.org/nor.htm
                                  • Cary Palmer
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 3, 2004
                                      I hate that feeling when your hook lets go. Happened to me last month
                                      solo on the inter, 15 mile solo trip in that scary solo air, only to
                                      unhook 300 yards from home in only medium air in front of the neighbors
                                      house. Glad the rest of the world was at work an no one was looking. I
                                      should really use my Chicken lines when out solo. At least if I drown
                                      I'll still be attached to the boat. There is nothing more difficult
                                      than trying to swim after a moving catamaran.
                                      CARY

                                      >>> jv1234_99@... 09/03/04 12:56AM >>>
> [...]

                                      boat. Thinking it might have scared her to do a "real" man
                                      overboard, I asked if she wanted to turn around and call it a day or
                                      get back on the trapeze. Without saying a word, she hooked in,
                                      jerked the dogbone to make sure it was secure in the hook, and got
                                      back on the wire. In no time we were flying a hull past that
                                      Catalina 25 again!

                                      Jerome Vaughan
                                      Hobie 16 "RATTLE 'N HUM"
                                      Clinton, Mississippi

                                      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "mattson" <mattson@e...> wrote:
                                      > Jerome,
                                      >
                                      > Have you, or do you plan to, do any racing with her as crew?
                                      >
                                      > Bill
                                      >
                                      > "...My daughter is quite gung-ho about sailing and, for her age
                                      and
                                      > experience, has a real affinity for handling sails, awareness of

                                      Group Home
                                      http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 3, 2004
                                        Give him hell, Daddio! I know y'all will have a blast! I've enjoyed
                                        every minute sailing with my kids, and expect there will be more and
                                        more racing with them for a while. And the weight thing is just a
                                        bonus! With my son, I carry ten pounds to make minimum. With my
                                        usual adult crew (he's thin), we're about 325 pounds...and have to
                                        carry twice as much beer (probably 20 pounds, including ice)!