Re: [beachcats] Re: Kens GPS

  • toker
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2004
      hey guys!

      thank you all for the inputs about GPSs!!!

      well..I think I should get a GPS MAP something.. as I
      own a 40 foot yacht ( sail boat )..

      Is there any of you guys using handheld MAP GPSs ?

      I am thinking of buying a Garmin 76S.. which is not
      colored but I think it is ok for a start..

      I also checked Magellan Marine... any comments?

      any suggestions are highly appreciated!

      2 days left for cat sailing!! I am so excited!

      take care all..

      byeZ!

      meric

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • John Schwartz
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2004
        Can't go wrong with Garmin. Had a problem with my GPS that was out of
        warrantee and they fixed it w/no charge labor - parts and shipping.

        thank you all for the inputs about GPSs!!!

        well..I think I should get a GPS MAP something.. as I
        own a 40 foot yacht ( sail boat )..

        Is there any of you guys using handheld MAP GPSs ?

        I am thinking of buying a Garmin 76S.. which is not
        colored but I think it is ok for a start..

        I also checked Magellan Marine... any comments?

        any suggestions are highly appreciated!

        2 days left for cat sailing!! I am so excited!

        take care all..

        byeZ!

        meric

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/

        Group T-Shirt!
        http://shop.thebeachcats.com

        Group Home
        http://www.TheBeachcats.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Levis
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2004
          Not a bad choice Toker. Don't disregard the Garmin GPS V . I use a GPS III+
          for marine and road use. I'd like mine to have aviation capability. It is
          cheaper than the 76 but That antenna comes off and reveals a BNC connection
          which would allow you to use an external antenna which would work great on
          your other sailboat very well. You can integrate with your VHF with DSC if
          it is capable as well.

          It also works with BlueChart maps.

          Bill

          > thank you all for the inputs about GPSs!!!
          >
          > well..I think I should get a GPS MAP something.. as I
          > own a 40 foot yacht ( sail boat )..
          >
          > Is there any of you guys using handheld MAP GPSs ?
          >
          > I am thinking of buying a Garmin 76S.. which is not
          > colored but I think it is ok for a start..
          >
          > I also checked Magellan Marine... any comments?
          >
          > any suggestions are highly appreciated!
          >
          > 2 days left for cat sailing!! I am so excited!
          >
          > take care all..
          >
          > byeZ!
          >
          > meric

          > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          >

          > Group T-Shirt!
          > http://shop.thebeachcats.com
          >
          > Group Home
          > http://www.TheBeachcats.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • singingcowboy63
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2004
            I have a Megellan Meridian Platinum which I got at the end of last
            season. Not color, but it has all the other options...customized
            screens, altitude, barometric pressure, magnetic compass (so you don't
            have to be moving to know what direction you are pointing).

            Tracks very well even when bouncing around (unlike an older GPS I
            borrowed for the Leech Lake event last year).

            I download/upload to Mapsend Topo US. Pretty cool to see a track with
            your speed every 10th of a mile increment.

            Waterproof (but I keep in a pouch tied at the mast base), pretty
            durable, but it does eat batteries.

            Guess it depends what you need it for...and this has much more than
            what I really need, but it is fun.

            Reb