Re: [beachcats] Reminder - Sven Schang Memorial

  • Shody Ryon
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2004
      I don't have a cat yet. The 18 foot no name prototype
      I had in the '70s was a single sail glorified sabot .

      I didn't realize this until a few days ago. We sailed
      off the beach in Santa Monica, California.

      I want to learn terminology, safety and sailing
      technique.

      Perhaps a book or video/DVD will be useful? The more
      in depth, the better.

      Suggestions could be sent directly to my email.

      Qi4u@...

      Shody
      --- beachcats@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Sven Schang Memorial
      >
      > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2004
      > Time: All Day
      >
      > Remembering our fellow Beachcat who brought us all
      > to attention
      > regarding safety.
      >

      > Group T-Shirt!
      > http://shop.thebeachcats.com
      >
      > Group Home
      > http://www.TheBeachcats.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Richard Stanley
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2004
        Catamaran Sailing by Phil Berman is a good book to get started. A
        really good book that assumes some level of knowledge is Rick White's
        Catamaran Sailing for the 90s.
        Rick Stanley
        Hereford, MD H16, H18 magnum

        I don't have a cat yet. The 18 foot no name prototype
        I had in the '70s was a single sail glorified sabot .

        I didn't realize this until a few days ago. We sailed
        off the beach in Santa Monica, California.

        I want to learn terminology, safety and sailing
        technique.

        Perhaps a book or video/DVD will be useful? The more
        in depth, the better.

        Suggestions could be sent directly to my email.

        Qi4u@...

        Shody
        --- beachcats@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Sven Schang Memorial
        >
        > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2004
        > Time: All Day
        >
        > Remembering our fellow Beachcat who brought us all
        > to attention
        > regarding safety.
        >

        > Group T-Shirt!
        > http://shop.thebeachcats.com
        >
        > Group Home
        > http://www.TheBeachcats.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Group T-Shirt!
        http://shop.thebeachcats.com

        Group Home
        http://www.TheBeachcats.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • beachcats@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005

          Sven Schang Memorial

          Date: Sunday, May 1, 2005
          Time: All Day

          Remembering our fellow Beachcat who brought us all to attention
          regarding safety.
        • hobiegary
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2005
            We miss you Sven. Your memory is serving to teach many lessons around
            here!

            GARY

          • HobieCatSailor@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2005
              _AOL News - Two Teens Rescued After Six Days at Sea_
              (http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050501143509990003&ncid=NWS00010000000001)

            • Ken Wittlief
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                I couldnt believe that!

                six days on the open ocean on a SunFish?!

                and they went out shark fishing?

                on a SunFish?

                one kid was eating jellyfish to stay alive?

                on a SunFish?

                unreal!

                -Ken W
              • eatham2000
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                  Shark fishing? Man can you do that on a samll boat. So they just
                  sailed out huh? They didnt think ahaed did they.

                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wittlief" <wittlief@a...> wrote:
                  > I couldnt believe that!
                  >
                  > six days on the open ocean on a SunFish?!
                  >
                  > and they went out shark fishing?
                  >
                  > on a SunFish?
                  >
                  > one kid was eating jellyfish to stay alive?
                  >
                  > on a SunFish?
                  >
                  > unreal!
                  >
                  > -Ken W
                • John DeNero
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                    If you're impressed by these kids, pick up a copy of A Speck on the
                    Sea by William Longyard. It's a collection of short stories about long
                    voyages in small boats, or as the author puts it "epic voyages in the
                    most improbable vessels." These kids in a sunfish can't compare to
                    the navy guys who spent five months on a life raft catching
                    progressively larger fish using their previous catches as bait. The
                    book is full of great stories, including one about crossing the
                    Caribbean in a Hobie if I remember correctly.

                    My girlfriend gave me the book to discourage me from trying to sail my
                    broken down $300 Hobie 16 from San Francisco to Mexico. She won (not
                    that I needed that much discouragement). But now that I'm getting an
                    18 foot...

                    Anyway, it's a great read. It also has some very comical
                    illustrations of small boats next to very big waves.

                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071413065/ref=nosim/classiccdguid-20

                    John
                    No boat yet...but soon

                    On 5/2/05, eatham2000 <eatham2000@...> wrote:
                    > Shark fishing? Man can you do that on a samll boat. So they just
                    > sailed out huh? They didnt think ahaed did they.
                    >
                    > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wittlief" <wittlief@a...> wrote:
                    > > I couldnt believe that!
                    > >
                    > > six days on the open ocean on a SunFish?!
                    > >
                    > > and they went out shark fishing?
                    > >
                    > > on a SunFish?
                    > >
                    > > one kid was eating jellyfish to stay alive?
                    > >
                    > > on a SunFish?
                    > >
                    > > unreal!
                    > >
                    > > -Ken W
                    >
                    > Group Home
                    > http://www.TheBeachcats.com
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • m59v
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                      Not that it makes a difference, but I think it was a jy15 not a sunfish.

                      Matt

                      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wittlief" <wittlief@a...> wrote:
                      > I couldnt believe that!
                      >
                      > six days on the open ocean on a SunFish?!
                      >
                      > and they went out shark fishing?
                      >
                      > on a SunFish?
                      >
                      > one kid was eating jellyfish to stay alive?
                      >
                      > on a SunFish?
                      >
                      > unreal!
                      >
                      > -Ken W
                    • gevoniuk
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2005

                        > one kid was eating jellyfish to stay alive?
                        >
                        > on a SunFish?
                        >
                        > unreal!
                        >
                        > -Ken W

                        I have eaten jellyfish - once. It is considered a delicacy in some
                        Chinese cuisines. The body is cut into little strips, sort of like
                        shredding cabbage. Think rubbery consistency like calamari with none
                        of the flavor. I don't know what they do with the tentacles.

                        Like I said, I tried it - once.

                        GaryE
                      • Mullins, Lee
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                          <<Like I said, I tried it - once. GaryE >>

                          Reminds me of my g'friend's brother. He was enlisted and stayed in
                          Korea and admitted to eating dog. Her husband said "you don't go around
                          telling people that."

                          But if that was the choice I had, then I would do it to (as to
                          jellyfish). It's a matter of survival. Kudos to them to have the
                          survival instinct.

                          Lee M.
                          My Little TeePee 4.9

                          NOTICE:

                          This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by telephone (call us collect at (202) 434-5000) and immediately delete this message and all its attachments.