Re: Round the Island Pictures

  • Jack Hoying
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "slydog1227" <slydog1227@a...>
      wrote:
      > --- > I have two questions to post to the board for some input.
      >
      > 1. I would like to know if anyone has built there own "ez step"
      > or "mast stepper" type step system for single manning the mast
      > stepping. If so, can you provide some info, photo's etc. involving
      > building your own? $140.00 might be a worthwhile investment, but
      it
      > seems a little pricey if I can build one myself. Online photos of
      > homemade jobs aren't detailed enough for me to see all that I
      really
      > need to construct my own.
      >
      >> Ken Ellis
      > Southaven, Mississippi
      > slydog1227@a...
      Ken,
      I do have a factory version of the EZ Step, but there isn't any
      reason why you couldn't build your own. It consist of a 6' pole,
      which could be made from some sturdy aluminum, or even a solid 2x4.
      You have to have a way to attach it to the base of the mast....maybe
      with bungee or straps and Velcro. The lifting forces push the pole
      against the mast, so you only need something to keep it from sliding
      out of place. You will need to attach a couple straps or lines to
      the top of the pole and extend them down to the front corner casting
      area. This keeps the pole vertical at all times. Also on the top of
      the pole, you will have to have a strap that attaches to the
      forestay, with the opposite end connected to your trailer winch.
      To keep the mast somewhat vertical while lifting, attach a trapeze
      wire (one on each side) to the front corner casting area. Try to
      use quick connectors everywhere to make for a quick setup.
      Hopefully this makes sense to you. If you have any questions, just
      ask. I have a couple photos of my stepper in action at
      http://tinyurl.com/4rx7

      Jack Hoying
      Fort Loramie, Ohio
    • Willy Orwonthe
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        I built one for my h16 using a 10 foot piece of one
        inch diameter iron pipe I had laying around. I made a
        hinge using a piece of thin nylon rope doubled over
        multiple times to make a one foot long loop of
        multiple strands. Two "S" hooks go through this loop.
        This makes a kind of ropy strap with hooks on each
        end. I wrap this strap around the cross beam just to
        one side of the mast base plate. Then I stick the two
        hooks into one end of the iron pipe. The pipe can now
        pivot around the cross beam and only the strap is in
        contact with the cross beam. So no scratching or
        gouging. At the other end of the iron pipe I attached
        a nylon tie down strap. The tie down strap has a
        couple of S hooks also. So one end of the tie down
        strap goes in the far end of the iron pipe. The other
        end of that strap hooks to the fore stay on the mast.
        I use an elastic hair band to keep the stay from
        coming loose from the hook when slack. At this point
        the mast lies horizontal and the pipe is vertical. So
        a long rope attached to the top of the iron pipe can
        then leverage the mast up to vertical. This works
        perfectly EXCEPT for the tendency for everything to
        flop from side to side. The side to side flopping is
        solved by using the two trap lines to steady the mast
        (as already described by others) and by having two
        more ropes from the top of the pole to each side. I
        tie these off to the front left and right corners of
        the trampoline.

        The first time I used it I had a helper. I made
        several adjustments to get the lengths correct. Then
        I replaced the knots with snap hooks through loops
        tied in the rope. So now I can get it rigged the same
        way each time in just a few minutes.

        I can get the mast up and down solo and it cost me
        nothing except some pipe and ropes I already had
        laying about. The pipe fits in the sail tube on my
        trailer.

        I am done sailing for the season... need to do some
        repairs. I have it on my off season list to do a write
        up with photos. I will post it to the group when I
        have that.

        Willy
        Hobie 16
        Battle Ground, WA