Re: spinnaker pole

  • cboltonh20
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      Mike, just curious what size chute you ended up with on the 20. I'm
      running one of the NE6.0 chutes, which is a little big at 360 sq.
      ft. Definitely needs 2:1 sheets when the breeze is up. That took a
      12'-8" pole, according to Smyth.

      Chris Bolton
      H20 742
    • b_cash_98
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        Chris,

        thats huge!!! My spinn is cut for a Torando at 265 sq ft.

        --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "cboltonh20" <cboltonh20@e...>
        wrote:
        > Mike, just curious what size chute you ended up with on the 20.
        I'm
        > running one of the NE6.0 chutes, which is a little big at 360 sq.
        > ft. Definitely needs 2:1 sheets when the breeze is up. That took
        > 12'-8" pole, according to Smyth.
        >
        > Chris Bolton
        > H20 742
      • cboltonh20
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
          --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "b_cash_98" <b_cash_98@y...> wrote:
          > Chris,
          >
          > thats huge!!! My spinn is cut for a Torando at 265 sq ft.

          Yes, it is a significant addition to your sail area when hoisted...
          Out local group is just getting engaged in discussions about
          the "proper" size for a class legal spinnaker. I see it as a
          tradeoff of more power vs the potentially larger supply of used
          chutes at 270 sq ft. :-)

          > > Chris Bolton
          > > H20 742
        • aussieexpat84
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
            --- Hi Chris.
            Sorry I took so long to reply. I just found out myself.
            The spinnaker is 280 sq ft and I am going to run a 13 ft pole(if I
            can find one). So much for the color scheme of the boat. I was told
            the spin was red and yellow. Turns out it's yellow, blue and white.
            Haven't seen it but I bet it looks good. Do you sheet your spin at
            the stays or the rear cross bar?
            Mike.

            In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "cboltonh20" <cboltonh20@e...> wrote:
            > Mike, just curious what size chute you ended up with on the 20.
            I'm
            > running one of the NE6.0 chutes, which is a little big at 360 sq.
            > ft. Definitely needs 2:1 sheets when the breeze is up. That took
            > 12'-8" pole, according to Smyth.
            >
            > Chris Bolton
            > H20 742
          • Anthony Aquila
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
              --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "aussieexpat84" <mikeh@a...> wrote:
              > --- Hi Chris.
              > Sorry I took so long to reply. I just found out myself.
              > The spinnaker is 280 sq ft and I am going to run a 13 ft pole(if I
              > can find one). So much for the color scheme of the boat. I was
              told
              > the spin was red and yellow. Turns out it's yellow, blue and white.
              > Haven't seen it but I bet it looks good. Do you sheet your spin at
              > the stays or the rear cross bar?
              > Mike.
              >

              > In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "cboltonh20" <cboltonh20@e...> wrote:
              > > Mike, just curious what size chute you ended up with on the 20.
              > I'm
              > > running one of the NE6.0 chutes, which is a little big at 360
              sq.
              > > ft. Definitely needs 2:1 sheets when the breeze is up. That
              took
              > > 12'-8" pole, according to Smyth.
              > >
              > > Chris Bolton
              > > H20 742

              Mike,
              I don't run a H20, but one of the guys I sail with does. He runs his
              spin off of the endcaps of the rear beams. His beam caps have a
              place where he ties off some 3/16" spectra line to the blocks.
              I am not sure if your boat has the same caps, if so they should fit
              the bill. By the way he uses a hobie spin that sounds like is about
              the same size as yours.
              By the way, IMHO spins look better when they are very different than
              the rest of the boat, they set it off.
              I would recommend trying to find a yard sale, swap meet, or even
              trying to contact a group of windsurfers to pick up a mast. I found
              my carbon pole at a yard sale for 6 bucks, well worth the effort as
              it has lasted for a couple of years.
              Maybe there is a yahoo group for windsurfers?
              Best of luck and keep us posted.

              Anthony Aquila
              SLC, Ut.
              P19 w/spi #450
            • cboltonh20
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2003
                I run ratchet blocks to the rear crossbar (with turning blocks on the
                tramp track further forward to get a good wrap on the rear blocks).
                My chute is 18' on the foot; with a 13' pole, the clew is 5' aft of
                the front crossbar, which is way behind the shroud. I would suspect
                that with 280 sq ft, you would probably be coming off closer to the
                shrouds. If you mount the blocks on a slide on the tramp track, you
                can slide them back and forth to find the good angle before you do
                something permanent.

                Chris
              • cboltonh20

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2003
                    MIke I tried sheeting at botht eh rear crossbar and the shroud
                    connectors. I also spoke with Skip elliott about how he riggs his
                    Tornado. In my case on a P19 I have decided to stay at the shrouds.
                    seems to work better and develops more power. Skopp does the same
                    The I20 are rigged this way as well. It has alot to do with how the
                    sail is cut and how loing your pole is. Smyth suggests a 156" pole
                    on a P19 and sheeting at the rear cross bar, BUT thats how he cuts
                    his spinn, Smyth P19 spinns are 360sq ft, EP Tornado spinns are 265
                    sq ft.

                    Bill

                    --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Aquila" <a.aquila@a...>

                  • b_cash_98