Re: Problem raising the main on H16

  • Peter Wright
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 5:09 AM
      --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "dlhoppe2001" <dave_hoppe@h...>
      wrote:
      > Well, maybe I didn't explain well enough what's actually going on
      > with my boat. I most of the people who have replied are thinking
      that
      > I'm referring to the friction of the sail sliding up through the
      > upper part of the sail track. That's certainly something I've
      dealt
      > with on the comp tip, but not the real issue I'm trying to
      describe.
      > I'll give it another shot and hopefully I can describe the problem
      > better.
      >
      > I rake my mast aft a pretty good bit. When I'm raising the sail to
      > the point where the boom begins to lift up off of the tramp, The
      > weight of the boom hangs such that it swings aft away from the
      base
      > of the mast a bit. This is due to the aft rake and gravity working
      on
      > the boom. When this happens, the luff rope gets jammed right at
      the
      > opening of the sail track. I'm referring to the cut-out near the
      base
      > of the mast where the luff rope enters the track. This pretty much
      > happens every time. If I have someone with me, they can pull the
      boom
      > forward. This allows the luff rope to enter the track opening just
      > fine without catching. When I'm by myself, it's a pain to try and
      > pull the boom forward while I'm hoisting.
      >
      > It's been mentioned that loosening the outhaul will help. However
      > can't see how that would have an effect when the gooseneck is not
      in
      > the track yet. The boom will still want to swing away from the
      mast
      > which pulls the luff rope with it. I could certainly be wrong
      about
      > that, but will try it anyway. Seems to me the lubricant suggestion
      > might be the best bet along with setting the gooseneck in the
      track
      > before raising the main. The other idea I have is to take my
      dremel
      > and make sure all the burrs are removed at the entry to the track.
      It
      > looks like they did a good job of that at the factory, but I can
      > probably get it a little smoother.
      >
      > I appreciate very much all the responses I've gotten on this issue
      > and certainly welcome any other posts.
      >

      > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, AJudelson@a... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 03/30/2003 1:06:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > > dave_hoppe@h... writes:
      > >
      > > > I'm having problems raising the main by myself with an aft-
      raked
      > > > mast.
      > >
      > > Set the boom in the mast track, do this about 2/3 mid hoist to
      > avoid fighting
      > > with the bunched up sail. When the hoist binds, lift the boom
      in
      > the track
      > > to relieve tension on the halyard, then proceed. You can either
      > tie off the
      > > halyard when you need more hands, or hold it in your teeth (your
      > dentist's
      > > travel agent will love you forever).
      > >
      > > Also, or perhaps first - use McLube sailcoat or similar
      lubricant.
      > It makes
      > > a world of difference - only took me about 5 years to try it -
      > stupidity runs
      > > in my family.
      > >
      > > Alan
      > > H-16 #40449
      > > New Haven, CT

    • Peter Wright
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 5:13 AM
        I see a bungee strap in your future, either that or drop the goose
        neck into the slot and use your downhaul to prevent it from dropping
        too far down the slot. The gooseneck will usually jam there anyway.

        Peter W
        H16

        wrote:
> [...]
        > > dave_hoppe@h... writes:
        > >
        > > > I'm having problems raising the main by myself with an aft-
        raked
        > > > mast.
        > >
        > > Set the boom in the mast track, do this about 2/3 mid hoist to
        > avoid fighting
        > > with the bunched up sail. When the hoist binds, lift the boom
        in
        > the track
        > > to relieve tension on the halyard, then proceed. You can either
        > tie off the
        > > halyard when you need more hands, or hold it in your teeth (your
        > dentist's
        > > travel agent will love you forever).
        > >
        > > Also, or perhaps first - use McLube sailcoat or similar
        lubricant.
        > It makes
        > > a world of difference - only took me about 5 years to try it -

      • unlvrebel000
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 7:37 AM
          Take the boom off. Raise the sail without the boom on.

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > In a message dated 03/30/2003 1:06:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > > dave_hoppe@h... writes:
          > >
          > > > I'm having problems raising the main by myself with an aft-
          raked
          > > > mast.
          > >
          > > Set the boom in the mast track, do this about 2/3 mid hoist to
          > avoid fighting
          > > with the bunched up sail. When the hoist binds, lift the boom in
          > the track
          > > to relieve tension on the halyard, then proceed. You can either
          > tie off the
          > > halyard when you need more hands, or hold it in your teeth (your
          > dentist's
          > > travel agent will love you forever).
          > >
          > > Also, or perhaps first - use McLube sailcoat or similar
          lubricant.
          > It makes
          > > a world of difference - only took me about 5 years to try it -

        • Derek Lloyd
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 8:50 AM
            At 05:25 AM 4/1/2003 -0000, you wrote:
            >Well, maybe I didn't explain well enough what's actually going on
            >with my boat. I most of the people who have replied are thinking that
            >I'm referring to the friction of the sail sliding up through the
            >upper part of the sail track. That's certainly something I've dealt
            >with on the comp tip, but not the real issue I'm trying to describe.
            >I'll give it another shot and hopefully I can describe the problem
            >better.
            >
            >I rake my mast aft a pretty good bit. When I'm raising the sail to
            >the point where the boom begins to lift up off of the tramp, The
            >weight of the boom hangs such that it swings aft away from the base
            >of the mast a bit. This is due to the aft rake and gravity working on
            >the boom. When this happens, the luff rope gets jammed right at the
            >opening of the sail track. I'm referring to the cut-out near the base
            >of the mast where the luff rope enters the track. This pretty much
            >happens every time. If I have someone with me, they can pull the boom
            >forward. This allows the luff rope to enter the track opening just
            >fine without catching. When I'm by myself, it's a pain to try and
            >pull the boom forward while I'm hoisting.

            There is a guide that you can get that screws into this space on the mast
            that will position the boltrope so that it doesn't catch on the edge of the
            opening. It's called a sail feeder kit Hobie part #8010 -0501, and fits
            Hobie 14, 16 and 18. I actually have one that I bought years ago and never
            installed. If I had a digital camera I would scan it for you....

            Derek
            H16 Stray Cat
          • chard59@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 8:54 AM
              I always take my boom off when I put my sails up and don't put it back on till I have the main up. This may help alot with less weight on the foot of the sail, plus it doesn't hurt the sail when storing it. Also I always raise the jib first as to set the mast up tight.
              Corey
              H-16
            • Glenn Brown
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 9:28 AM
                > the luff rope gets jammed right at the
                > opening of the sail track.

                I recommend detaching the boom from the main while hoisting and
                using a sea-sure roller prefeeder like the one at
                http://www.apsltd.com/Depts/dept1007.asp
                . Worked like a charm on my Hobie. GARY has one on his Mystere,
                which is how I learned about them.

                --Glenn
              • harry hill
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1 10:14 AM
                  Seems like a common problem. I notice it too, and it's
                  usually about time that the first slug on the halyard,
                  used for reefing, hits the prongs at the top. So I
                  gotta hold the halyard way out, pull, then release,
                  the feed that sucker into the entry point... you get
                  the picture.

                  Leaving boom off is good idea.

                  But...has anyone invented a little teflon gizmo that
                  could fit into the entry point and widen it a bit? I'm
                  thinking maybe some of those ever-useful margarine tub
                  lids, cut to the right size and put in with a little
                  duct tape would do the job. After you get the main up,
                  you would of course take them out so your
                  wife/girlfriend/faithful labrador would still want to
                  be seen on the boat with you. ;)

                  Just a thought.

                  Al
                  H 16 - and mostly solo, damnit.
                  Seattle

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • dlhoppe2001
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1 2:49 PM
                    Hey thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I see that
                    kit in the Hobie catalog. I will definately get a hold of one and
                    install it.

                    Again, thanks a bunch!