'takes a putz to capsize in light air

  • GARY
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31, 2002
      Today, Saturday, I saw Jerome and Laurent ("the French team") show up at
      the marina and go home after stepping the mast. Wind was light, too
      light for them.

      I had commented to them that I have just as much fun in light air that
      in anything else. I can fly a hull while trapezing in about 5 knots of
      wind. Later I returned to take my boat out and the wind, which had
      previously been at about 8, was falling fast. I was going to have to
      stay close to the marina to minimize a possible "paddle the boat home."

      I quickly readied the boat and was on my way. All the sail boats were
      inbound as they raced the clock to get back in before all the wind was
      gone. It was a lonely marina for a Saturday afternoon on a holiday
      weekend.

      Lots of people were staring at me as I hoisted sails in seemingly no
      wind conditions. Then the big moment came as I pushed the boat off from
      the dock and then stepped on as it was moving away. I remained in a
      standing position as I sheeted in the main and was making some very
      quick acceleration away from the launch ramp area. All eyes were on
      GARY as he blasted away from the dock on a sail boat when there was no wind.

      I neared the sea wall and stooped to cross under the boom as I tacked.
      The "stooping" brought me to my knees, so I sat down on the other side
      of the boat. Once the main reversed camber with its usual "pop" sound I
      realized that it was a very quite day since I could hear the pop and
      also the accompanying echo of the pop off of the sea wall.

      I immediately unfurled the jib when the confirmation of wind present,
      was announced by the "pop." Again, the boat accelerated through the
      very calm water as though is was lake sailing. For the remaining four
      or five tacks up my first channel, I was "feathering into the wind" to
      avoid having to cantilever myself on a trapeze.

      I hit the main channel as I sailed past the big park where again, all
      eyes were on GARY as he blasted past every other vessel (even if they
      were mostly running back home in the opposite direction) in the marina.

      I did about seven tacks up the main channel while flying high and
      trapping out. Again, all eyes were on me as I was the only sailboat who
      was moving faster than about two knots. I was moving along at about six
      or seven knots, flying a hull, trapezed out on the wire, and commanding
      all attention from anyone within sight. Even I was watching me. I was
      a real fine example of a show off, a star, an entertainer, and an
      egotistical GARY; not to mention...

      Not to mention that I was probably a putz today. I have not found a
      definition for "putz" but, I may have been an undefined putz today.

      Once out on the ocean's surface, I was in my heaven. As any boat in
      sight was lazily bobbing its way toward the harbor, I was flying a hull
      and skimming along across the opposing three foot swell. I did my best
      wave steering to maintain hull flying attitude as I virtually screamed
      past the other boats who were shocked and amazed as they witnessed a
      catsailor on the wire, flying a hull in glassy conditions.

      After a few miles of upwind travel, I bore off and set the chuter (my
      reacher is like a hooter, only cuter). When my newly re-worked chuter
      cleat did not release as quickly as what I am used to, I drooped the
      mainsheet (D O H ! ) and went for the fouled chuter sheet. As I did
      this, the boat developed weather helm and rounded up (broached?) and
      began a big, long, slow, capsize maneuver.

      As I folded my body over the windward, now skyward hull, the low sun
      cast a nice reflection on the water and I was looking straight down into
      the surface of the ocean and seeing a beautiful image of my boat as it
      went over. In that image I could see my puny little body that was
      hanging over the windward side and trying to prevent "the inevitable."

      Well it happened and I was on the skied hull when "touchdown" occurred.
      So I crawled up onto the side of the hull that was skyward. I took a
      look at the mast, sails (3), and saw that everything was trying very
      hard to "go turtle" but was not succeeding due to the light wind.

      I zipped my spray suit up, fastened the velcro around my wrists, ankles,
      and neck. Then I grasped my sunglasses and took a feet first jump into
      the water, just to the lee of my monster craft.

      As I witnessed the glassy waters around the scene, I said to myself,
      "hey beachcats! THIS is the capsize that we have been speaking of."

      I hope that those who read this are not only appreciative that I take
      the time to write this, but that 'you were with me as I endured this
      adventure.'

      That is the end of the exciting part for me. The rest was routine and
      here is how it went:

      I climbed on the floating hull. I went to the front cross bar and
      uncleated the tack of the chuter (flying it spinnaker style, without the
      furler). Then I considered uncleating the chuter halyard, but stopped
      when I remembered that I had decided that the best way to go, in this
      situation, is to release it at the last moment, just before the righting.

      If you let the spin halyard go, the spin sinks and results in being just
      as much as a hindrance as if you did not release it. But if you release
      it as you are righting, the boat will rise away from it before it has a
      chance to sink.

      So I left the chuter cleated, "for now." Next I went back into the
      water and released the main sheet, main traveler, jib sheet, and grabbed
      my SoloRight. Let me just spout a 'bit here, SOLO~RIGHT.

      So I tossed the SoloRight on the floating hull, and climbed back on
      board. Then I pulled the righting line out of my tramp pocket, near my
      mast, that was tied to my dolphin striker, and tossed it over the skied
      hull. Then I tied it off to the rear cross bar, after tossing it over
      the hull back there.

      Just then the L.A. County Lifeguards showed up in their usual timely
      manner. I have more respect for these guys than anyone! After I
      assured them that I was fine, and they informed me that they would
      stand-by since "we already have had two calls on you," I resumed my
      task while the Lifeguard (baywatch) kept a SAFE distance.

      I attached the SoloRight. I noticed that my mainsail leech was aimed at
      the wind, not the best situation. I did not feel like getting back into
      the water, so I just walked to the bow and tried to make the boat
      "weathervane." No success so I just decided to do the righting with the
      mast pointing nearly into the wind, but the leech to the wind.

      I cast off the hooter halyard and went for the righting line. As I
      backed away from the hull, on the SoloRight, the mast immediately
      arose. Once the mast and main sail was clear of the water's surface,
      the boat decided to do a lateral turn, rather than to flip upright. So
      I watched while the boat and I did a long, slow pirouette.

      At this point, the boat was nearly in the correct position, with bows
      pointing toward the wind. So I tried again, but by now the hooter was
      all the way down below the boat, with all the halyard paid out. So this
      second attempt did not go very far.

      Next I slid myself up to the bow and gathered up the hooter from the
      water, resting it on my lap and on the hull. Once I had all ofit in my
      possession, I drug it back to the trampoline area where I just flopped
      the whole water laden hunk of cloth onto the hull, right next to the
      underside of the trampoline. There, it would not hinder my righting
      efforts.

      So for the third time I attempted to right the boat. This time, as
      expected, it righted with no problems. I climbed aboard and started in
      on house-cleaning.

      I retrieved the and stowed the righting line, SoloRight, and the various
      lines that had fallen out of their stows. Then I re-hoisted the hooter,
      which involved a trip to the bow to pull it out from underneath the hull.

      Once underway, I stood up at attention on my trampoline and gave the
      L.A. Lifeguards the best military style salute that I could muster up.
      They waved me off and shouted, "have a good time!"

      I reigned in all the sheets and was once again flying a hull, downwind!

      The remainder of the day's 9.5 nautical mile trip was smooth and easy.
      The wind continued to drop in intensity and I was again the only boat in
      the marina who had any good speed going, as I returned.

      After I got home, I uploaded my track from my gps and took a close look
      at the time and place where I capsized. The entire recover, including
      two failed attempts, took only 15 minutes.

      I have come a long way from where I was a few years ago when a solo
      capsize was a big, embarrassing, dangerous deal. Now I can responsibly
      push my limits to the point of accidental capsize, without needing
      outside assistance.

      I am glad to be able to share these experiences with my friends. I take
      the time to write this stuff only because I know that there are some
      people out there who love to read it. I hope you have had a good day in
      the life of my sailing adventures. Here is hoping that your next outing
      is as fun as mine was!

      GARY
    • edwardbayer@juno.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
        > GARY; BRAVO........ 61 degrees 25 to 30 knot wind 2 to 3 '
        disfunctionate seas { no direction, just standing up in pointy lumps] no
        one out there either & looking for a crew.........

        weg on ccb
      • Buzz
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
          Gary I sailed in Long Beach yesterday and the wind was anything but light until
          about 5 or 5:30. Rough seas and a strong breeze.

          Met a new sailor on Nacra 5.8na. He is returning to cat sailing after a long lay
          off for kids. Maybe we will see Duane on the list.
          Buzz

        • nesdog1122
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
            Hmmmm... a nice outing indeed!

            "All eyes were on GARY as he went up the launch channel"

            Really? Oh. I noticed a big white tent on the green at the park on
            the channel. I thought it was a wedding reception and didn't realize
            it was your fan club! So it was you they were taking pictures of?
            Very nice of them to also turn out in such nice clothes.

            Kudos for going out on such a light day, though. Not only was it very
            light, it was ultimately overcast and muggy as Socal was under the
            influence of a dying tropical storm from the South. (way different
            today; it's expected to be clear and in the high 90's) Vicki and I
            opted to kayak throughout the Marina. We headed in around 3 and
            didn't see you.

            Don't know if I'll get out on Monday. If not, maybe we can hook up
            next weekend. I'd like to do a few practice capsizes as well and can
            always use your technical expertise in accomplishing a rapid
            Solo~Right.

            Sheldon
            P-18
          • hobiegary
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
              Sheldon,

              I'd love to get out and do some capsize practice on Monday.
              Hopefully we will have some wind. Today, Sunday it is dead.

              Buzz and I just spent half the day waiting for wind. I will go out
              there at about 3 p.m. to see if Joe and his sister actually went
              sailing. He was down there a couple of hours ago waiting for her,
              saying that they were going. Wind was about 1-2 knots. If I find
              any wind at 3, I'll go for a short outing.

              Let me know when you'll be around on Monday. Keep an eye on the
              weather.

              I'm glad you were impressed with the Folow Spot light that was on me
              as I sailed past the park!

              GARY
            • Sonny Barber
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
                <snip>

                > Not to mention that I was probably a putz today. I have not found a
                > definition for "putz" but, I may have been an undefined putz today.

                <snip>

                putz:

                literally, penis, but in current usage, it means to mess around.

                Despite its origin, this is quite a mild term (s.a. jerk, schlep,
                schmuck)

                Language = Yidish Daytsh

                See: http://mmm.mit.edu/~liju99/slang.html

                ;)

                Sonny
              • hobiegary
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2002
                  Sonny,

                  You far reaching knowledge and thorough understanding of
                  virtually 'everything' never ceases to amaze and impress me!!

                  If putz is a (noun) penis or (verb) to mess around, and if someone
                  called you a putz, than I guess the noun would have to be the
                  definition? Or could putz mean putzer, a fool arounder?

                  GARY
                • Sonny Barber
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                    From: "hobiegary" <hobiegary@...>

                    > Sonny,
                    >
                    > You far reaching knowledge and thorough understanding of
                    > virtually 'everything' never ceases to amaze and impress me!!

                    Just comes from being an old fart. I've been exposed to lots of
                    "knowledge". Even the dumbest of us retain a little of it. ;)

                    > If putz is a (noun) penis or (verb) to mess around, and if someone
                    > called you a putz, than I guess the noun would have to be the
                    > definition? Or could putz mean putzer, a fool arounder?

                    Well, lemme see...

                    There are many Yiddish words for penis. It's like the 25 or so Eskimo
                    words for "snow"
                    It's a matter of shading of meaning.
                    "Putz" is usually used to mean "clumsy prick" whereas schmuck is more
                    widely used as "arrogant prick".

                    Schlep means to drag something around. "Schlepping" is used to describe
                    just dragging your body around in some purposeless sort of way - sort of
                    your "fool arounder".
                    "Putzer" is more like dickin' around, wasting time.

                    Sonny
                    (goyisher)
                  • mattson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                      > Just comes from being an old fart. I've been exposed to lots of
                      > "knowledge". Even the dumbest of us retain a little of it. ;)

                      Old Fart - Noun. An elderly, old fashioned and tedious person.
                      Derog. See 'fart'.

                      Fart - Verb. To break wind from the anus. Originally s.e. from
                      1250s, but deemed slang from 1800s. Cf. 'fanny fart'.
                      Noun. 1. The gas expelled due to anal flatulence. 2. An unpleasant
                      and objectionable person. Cf. 'old fart'.
                    • hobiegary
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                        So I guess that is someone were to call someone a putz, he would
                        only be saying that the guy had a clumbsy penis; not any other
                        clumbsiness?

                        GARY

                        --- In beachcats@y..., "Sonny Barber" <lostsouls@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                      • Sonny Barber
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                          Mattson,

                          As always, your verbiage seems to be right on.
                          Now, stop putzing around and get back to the nursery.
                          All the baby plants need your scrawny ass, I don't.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                            Gary,

                            Not *had*.

                            *Is*.

                            ;)

                            Sonny

                            > So I guess that is someone were to call someone a putz, he would
                            > only be saying that the guy had a clumbsy penis; not any other
                            > clumbsiness?
                            >
                            > GARY

                          • mattson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 2, 2002
                              > As always, your verbiage seems to be right on.
                              > Now, stop putzing around and get back to the nursery.
                              > All the baby plants need your scrawny ass, I don't.

                              Thank you, Sonny.

                              BTW, your 5 trays of "Bite Me" Begonias ship in the morning.

                              Bill
                            • leroy wicklund
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 3, 2002
                                I was told that the definition of a putz is a diseased penis, not a clumsy
                                one. But I guess a diseased one would be clumsy as well . Lee
                              • Lee Mullins
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 4, 2002
                                • Art Clark
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    There really is a product called:

                                    Putz Pomade Roller & Blanket Cleaner.
                                    Benefits Include:
                                    * Stops glazing & stripping.
                                    * Rejuvenates and reconditions blankets and rollers.
                                      Availiable in paste and liquid form:
                                    * 7oz. liquid Reorder No. Y1
                                    * 13oz. Tube Reorder No. Y3
                                    * 1lb. paste Reorder No. R1
                                    * 4lb paste Reorder No. R2

                                    Now the question is, paste or liquid? Hmmm.
                                    Art

                                    > From: Lee Mullins <lmullins@...>
                                    > Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:33:06 -0400
                                    > To: "'beachcats@yahoogroups.com'" <beachcats@yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Subject: RE: [beachcats] Re: 'takes a putz to capsize in light air
                                    >
                                    > http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19981027
                                    >
                                    > what maven has to say about "putz"
                                    >
                                    > http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                                  • Sonny Barber
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 4, 2002
                                      Pretty well agrees with my experience. I once had a Jewish division
                                      chief. Being Jewish was his crutch, in that everything bad that
                                      happened to him was because he was a Jew, and everything good was in
                                      spite of the fact that he was a Jew. You know the type. Perpetual
                                      victim. Anyhow, when he was just annoyed with me, it was "putz". When
                                      he was really pissed, I was a "schmuck". I kept score by which he used
                                      most.

                                      ;)

                                      Sonny

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 5, 2002
                                        Lee, you been out there all this time?
                                        WW

                                        Lee Mullins wrote:

                                        > http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19981027
                                        >
                                        > what maven has to say about "putz"
                                        >
                                        > http://www.TheBeachcats.com

                                      • Lee Mullins
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 5, 2002
                                          Yes, is this William Wallick?

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 5, 2002
                                            Yep. How ya been?
                                            WW

                                            Lee Mullins wrote:

                                            > Yes, is this William Wallick?

                                          • Lee Mullins
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 6, 2002
                                              Been doing good. You still doing a lot of photography? Where ya been?

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 7, 2002
                                                Hi Lee:

                                                Well when my ISP went ten toes up I was just went into a black hole for
                                                awhile. Then Nicheman disappeared. Now I have rejoined the world and it is
                                                really nice that a bunch of the old "family" is around, yucking it up, giving
                                                suggestions, talkin' sailing and all.

                                                I am still doing photography and now lots of video production also. Haven't
                                                done any big regattas since the ON THE WIRE stories. I thought I would be
                                                going to Ft Walton for nationals (to race, not to shoot) but just trashed my
                                                back at our last regatta so it doesn't look like I will make it. Would love
                                                to go anyway, but it is quite a haul from Colorado.

                                                You still racing the 20?
                                                WW