ORANGE makes unscheduled pit stop

  • sailingproshop@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
      TROPHEE JULES VERNE
      Creaming through the Southern Ocean in quest of the Trophee Jules Verne for
      fastest non-stop circumnavigation, Bruno Peyron's mega-catamaran Orange has
      made a serious detour. And the big cat is now minus one crewmember.

      Yesterday, Peyron made an unscheduled pit-stop off the Southern Ocean outpost
      of Kerguelen Island to deposit Australian sailor Nick Maloney, who was
      dismissed unceremoniously after a pair of related incidents that began
      last Friday morning. Maloney was at the helm when Orange performed an
      all-standing jibe in a fierce westerly gale, blowing out three battens and
      almost pitchpoling the boat. Maloney compounded the problem when, in an
      attempt to make light of the incident, he told Peyron he was "trying to dodge
      an ice floe in the shape of a rabbit." Superstitious French sailors do not
      allow the word "rabbit" to be uttered on a boat at sea.

      For the complete story go to: http://www.sailingproshop.com
    • Damon
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
        "Peyron also responded to a press
        release issued by de Kersauson last week accusing Peyron of putting an overly optimistic spin on his
        position updates.
        "De Kersauson may attach his lips to my petite derriere," said Peyron."

        What a terrible thing to happen on only the first day of April!

        Damon

        > TROPHEE JULES VERNE
        > Creaming through the Southern Ocean in quest of the Trophee Jules Verne for
        > fastest non-stop circumnavigation, Bruno Peyron's mega-catamaran Orange has
        > made a serious detour. And the big cat is now minus one crewmember.
        >
        > Yesterday, Peyron made an unscheduled pit-stop off the Southern Ocean outpost
        > of Kerguelen Island to deposit Australian sailor Nick Maloney, who was
        > dismissed unceremoniously after a pair of related incidents that began
        > last Friday morning. Maloney was at the helm when Orange performed an
        > all-standing jibe in a fierce westerly gale, blowing out three battens and
        > almost pitchpoling the boat. Maloney compounded the problem when, in an
        > attempt to make light of the incident, he told Peyron he was "trying to dodge
        > an ice floe in the shape of a rabbit." Superstitious French sailors do not
        > allow the word "rabbit" to be uttered on a boat at sea.
        >
        > For the complete story go to: http://www.sailingproshop.com
        >

        > http://www.TheBeachcats.com

      • wetsidedown
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
          LOL

          Peter W

          --- In beachcats@y..., "Damon" <damon@l...> wrote:
          > "Peyron also responded to a press
          > release issued by de Kersauson last week accusing Peyron of putting
          an overly optimistic spin on his
          > position updates.
          > "De Kersauson may attach his lips to my petite derriere," said
          Peyron."

          > What a terrible thing to happen on only the first day of April!
          >
          > Damon
          >
          > > TROPHEE JULES VERNE
          > > Creaming through the Southern Ocean in quest of the Trophee Jules
          Verne for
          > > fastest non-stop circumnavigation, Bruno Peyron's mega-catamaran
          Orange has
          > > made a serious detour. And the big cat is now minus one
          crewmember.

          > > Yesterday, Peyron made an unscheduled pit-stop off the Southern
          Ocean outpost
          > > of Kerguelen Island to deposit Australian sailor Nick Maloney,
          who was
          > > dismissed unceremoniously after a pair of related incidents that
          began
          > > last Friday morning. Maloney was at the helm when Orange
          performed an
          > > all-standing jibe in a fierce westerly gale, blowing out three
          battens and
          > > almost pitchpoling the boat. Maloney compounded the problem when,
          in an
          > > attempt to make light of the incident, he told Peyron he
          was "trying to dodge
          > > an ice floe in the shape of a rabbit." Superstitious French
          sailors do not
          > > allow the word "rabbit" to be uttered on a boat at sea.
          > >
          > > For the complete story go to: http://www.sailingproshop.com
          > >

          > > http://www.TheBeachcats.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • marinerjim2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
            Tell us more about this superstition, please. What is the problem
            with rabbits? Thanks,

            Jim Green

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
              I'm pretty sure the french only have a problem with rabbits on April 1st. The rest of the time they
              eat them.

              Damon

              >Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 1:03 PM
              >Subject: [beachcats] Re: ORANGE makes unscheduled pit stop
              > Tell us more about this superstition, please. What is the problem
              > with rabbits? Thanks,
              >
              > Jim Green
              >
              > --- In beachcats@y..., sailingproshop@a... wrote:
              > he told Peyron he was "trying to dodge
              > > an ice floe in the shape of a rabbit." Superstitious French sailors
              > do not
              > > allow the word "rabbit" to be uttered on a boat at sea.
              > >
              > > For the complete story go to: http://www.sailingproshop.com
              >

              > http://www.TheBeachcats.com

            • marinerjim2000
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
                There may be something to this rabbit superstition.

                Please read this story: http://members.aol.com/JerodiSys/paklog23.htm

                The Log of the Traveling Denholms a Sail from Raiatea, French
                Polynesia to Rarotonga.

                Here is the relevant excerpt from the story: "Sailors are a
                superstitious lot. In Italy and apparently in other parts of Europe,
                sailors believe that rabbits are bad luck. You aren't even supposed
                to say the word onboard. Instead of saying the word, you say a small,
                fluffy animal. One of Dario's friends gave him a book for a going
                away present. It had a picture of a rabbit on the cover and part of
                the title included the word rabbit. With all the much needed repairs
                that are still needed on the boat, Pete mentioned to Dario that maybe
                he should throw the book in the sea. That way Neptune would forgive
                him and Tilikum might finally have some good luck Dario agreed and
                threw the book into the sea thinking that it would end our bad luck.
                After he threw it in and it floated about 30 feet, Mike said that
                throwing a book overboard is ten times unluckier than having a rabbit
                on board. So Dario jumped in and retrieved the book. We were all
                laughing. After Dario gets the book back on board Mike tosses it back
                out again. Dario then promptly curses in his usual four languages
                while swimming back out to the book again. When Dario brings the book
                back now for the second time, Mike tells him that he was just joking
                about it being even worse to throw the book away. As we begin to
                motor off, Dario tosses the book back into the ocean for the third
                and final time."
              • hobiegary
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
                  Rabit, rabit, rabit! Pitch pole, pitch pole, pitch pole!!
                • marinerjim2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
                    > do not allow the word "rabbit" to be uttered on a boat at sea.
                    >
                    > For the complete story go to: http://www.sailingproshop.com

                    --------------------
                    http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/Superstition/rabbit.htm
                    And finally, the sailors have their go here too. No real surprises,
                    not just bad luck but very bad luck should a hare , especially a dead
                    hare show up on a ship, (bad weather). It would be very unlucky to go
                    to sea with any part of a hare or rabbit about. 1939:
                    "If a fisherman from these places found a hare on his net he would
                    burn it rather than go to sea with it."
                    Young boys being what they are, used this particular belief to have a
                    little fun. 1930:
                    "Stories are told all along the coast of mischievous boys getting
                    hold of rabbit skins, filling them with rubbish and placing them in
                    the sterns of boats, in order to stop the men from going to sea." A
                    new take on "Daddy, daddy, please don't go…".
                    --------------------
                    http://www.yourct.com/lifenews/1940/
                    During the Middle Ages, Europeans believed that witches could
                    transform themselves into rabbits. They believed that if a rabbit
                    crossed their path it meant bad luck would follow.
                  • Derek Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
                      At 01:02 AM 4/2/2002 -0000, Gary wrote:
                      >Rabit, rabit, rabit! Pitch pole, pitch pole, pitch pole!!

                      I hope you have your sacrifice for Neptune ready after that ;-)

                      Derek