Catalina Island

  • hobiegary
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
      I have set up a Yahoo Group called Cats2Cat that will be used for
      information on off shore sailing events in So. California. Please
      join the group if you wish.

      GARY
    • nesdog1122
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
        --- In beachcats@y..., "hobiegary" <hobiegary@m...> wrote:
        > I have set up a Yahoo Group called Cats2Cat that will be used for
        > information on off shore sailing events in So. California. Please
        > join the group if you wish.
        >
        > GARY

        Gary,

        I probably won't be able to do the trip, but if a pile of folks is
        coming to town earlier, why don't you set up a dinner night on Thurs.
        Then those of us can still get together to meet everyone.

        Sheldon
      • hobiegary
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
          As it stands now, the tentative plan is to have dinner at the Crusty
          Crab at Ports o' Call Village on Thursday. However, very few would
          probably be there. Consider that folks are coming from distant, but
          local, cities on Friday morning. Driving to and from San Pedro on
          Thursday night is probably not very attractive to them.

          So far, Matt, Buzz, and myself will be at dinner on Thursday. BUT..
          More people are planning for Dinner on Sunday night at 22nd St.
          Landing restaurant. Time will depend on when we get back from the
          Island and finish tearing down the boats.

          I know at least Buzz and Sandy, Matt, Alan and crew, and myself will
          go to that one.

          GARY

          --- In beachcats@y..., "nesdog1122" <nesdog@c...> wrote:
          > --- In beachcats@y..., "hobiegary" <hobiegary@m...> wrote:
          > > I have set up a Yahoo Group called Cats2Cat that will be used for
          > > information on off shore sailing events in So. California.
          Please
          > > join the group if you wish.
          > >
          > > GARY
          >
          > Gary,
          >
          > I probably won't be able to do the trip, but if a pile of folks is
          > coming to town earlier, why don't you set up a dinner night on
          Thurs.
          > Then those of us can still get together to meet everyone.
          >
          > Sheldon
        • nesdog1122
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
            --- In beachcats@y..., "hobiegary" <hobiegary@m...> wrote:
            > distant,

            Keep us up to date on those dinner plans and maybe we can make it.
            I'm also thinking about launching my boat on Sunday and meeting you
            guys as you return a few miles offshore.

            Sheldon
          • Windgosurf
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
              >>So far, Matt, Buzz, and myself will be at dinner on Thursday.
              I know at least Buzz and Sandy, Matt, Alan and crew, and myself will
              go to that one.

              GARY<<<

              Gary, I am sure you can count Glenn and myslef in for dinner on Sunday night
              also.

              Ck
            • bamachem
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
                GARY-

                How far are you from CARSON, CA? I'm supposed to be coming out there
                for a "start-up" on a new Yoplait line sometime this summer...

                andy

                --- In beachcats@y..., "hobiegary" <hobiegary@m...> wrote:
                > I have set up a Yahoo Group called Cats2Cat that will be used for
                > information on off shore sailing events in So. California. Please
                > join the group if you wish.
                >
                > GARY
              • hobiegary
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Carson is about 20 mins. away from Marina Del Rey. Let me know when
                  you're comming. Perhaps we'll get together for something useless.

                  GARY
                • bamachem
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Sounds usless to me. Hey, since it's in the summer, I might even be
                    able to be of some uselessness to you in the crew dept. There seems
                    to be a lot of that going around lately. ;) Naah, I was actually
                    thinking of maybe meeting up with some of you west-coasters and
                    having a beer or two...

                    andy

                    --- In beachcats@y..., "hobiegary" <hobiegary@m...> wrote:
                    > Carson is about 20 mins. away from Marina Del Rey. Let me know
                    when
                    > you're comming. Perhaps we'll get together for something useless.
                    >
                    > GARY
                  • Buzz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
                      Ck will we see you on Catalina? I'm hopeing you are feeling better.

                      Will Glenn be sailing to Catalina?
                      Buzz

                      Windgosurf wrote:

                      > >>So far, Matt, Buzz, and myself will be at dinner on Thursday.
                      > I know at least Buzz and Sandy, Matt, Alan and crew, and myself will
                      > go to that one.
                      >
                      > GARY<<<
                      >
                      > Gary, I am sure you can count Glenn and myslef in for dinner on Sunday night
                      > also.
                      >
                      > Ck
                      >
                      > Group Home: http://www.TheBeachcats.com -~-->

                    • hobiegary
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 14, 2005
                        There are crew positions available for the catamaran trip on Friday
                        April first, through Sunday April 3rd. Please let me know immediately
                        if you are interested.

                        There is a possibility that the sailors needing crew may be able to
                        leave the mainland on Saturday in lieu of Friday.

                        GARY
                      • hobiegary
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 11, 2005
                          On Saturday June 4th, I'll be sailing to Catalina Island for my fifth
                          trip this year. This will be a two day trip on a Saturday and Sunday.

                          This trip has 5 catamarans scheduled to make the trip, so far. If you
                          plan to make this trip with us, please contact me and I will connect
                          you to the group.

                          It has been a spectacular season in Southern California, ever since
                          the trip that we took on February 26th. (Buzz, Gary Stern, Terry, and
                          I) The annual spring trip was better than usual too; we had a
                          Northern California contingency from Hobie Fleet 2.

                          Life is so sweet on a So. CA desert island when the rainfall is at
                          record levels. Sring is *really* springing!!

                          If anyone has a seaworthy vessel and needs crew, an experienced
                          Catalina Channel crosser, I can hook you up!

                          Los Angeles has much to offer in terms of genuine ocean and beach
                          experiences. As an experienced beach cat sailor, you have the best
                          opportunities in all of Southern California, right here.

                          GARY
                        • hobiegary
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 13, 2007
                            At least 5 catamarans have joined in our group that will be sailing to
                            and from Catalina Island, from Cabrillo Beach, CA this March 23-25th.
                            Anyone seaworthy and intersted should find Buzz, GARY, or anyone else
                            who knows about the crossing.

                            GARY
                          • Kenneth Dubs, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
                              Can this trip be made on a prindle 18?

                              Ken

                              On 3/13/07 10:13 PM, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@...> wrote:

                              > At least 5 catamarans have joined in our group that will be sailing to
                              > and from Catalina Island, from Cabrillo Beach, CA this March 23-25th.
                              > Anyone seaworthy and intersted should find Buzz, GARY, or anyone else
                              > who knows about the crossing.
                              >
                              > GARY

                            • hobiegary
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
                                If your body and boat are dressed for the occasion, then the answer is
                                yes. A P18 could sail to Catalina Island. One of our long standing
                                old time crossers, Alan Thompson, did his first crossing on his
                                Prindle 16, (solo).

                                Alan now does the Newport to Ensenada race, each year on his Inter 20.

                                Our 30 year crosser, Buzz, did it on his Hobie 16. He now sails (for
                                the past 30 years) a nacra 5.8.

                                I've seen a guy do it on a Freestyle 15. We've also had an A-class
                                cat do it.

                                Here's a short article that was recently published about our trips:
                                http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=201249

                                Beachcat Sailors Keeping a Local Sport Alive
                                By Gary Friesen

                                Thursday, December 28, 2006

                                Caption: Here, Kitty, Kitty - A group of beachcat enthusiasts are
                                trying to keep the beach catamaran lifestyle alive and kicking on
                                Catalina. The sailboats are built to run onto the beach, an activity
                                that has been banned on many Southern California beaches, but is still
                                permitted at the Isthmus.
                                Photo by: Gary Friesen photo

                                Catalina Island is the only spot in Southern California where these
                                sailors are still allowed to use their boats as they were intended.

                                In the 1960s, it was perfectly acceptable to run a sailboat up onto a
                                beach if your craft was capable of doing so. Thus began the evolution
                                of the modern-day beach catamaran, or "beachcat."

                                Obviously, much has changed since the '60s. Today, there aren't many
                                beaches in Southern California that even allow sailors to sail near
                                the shore. Thus, the beachcat lifestyle has slowly died out.

                                There remains a group, however, of hard-core beachcat sailors who take
                                exception to being displaced and frequent the two beaches in Southern
                                California that are not affected by the closure rules - one on each
                                side of the Catalina Channel.

                                On an occasional basis, beachcat sailors from Southern California,
                                along with those from Northern California, Arizona, Utah and even as
                                far away as Hawaii, launch from inside Los Angeles Harbor at Cabrillo
                                Beach and make the journey across the Catalina Channel to the island's
                                Isthmus.

                                Among this group of enthusiasts is Buzz Waterstreet. He has taken this
                                voyage many times per year for 30 years now. His Nacra 5.8, a 19-ft.
                                beachcat that he purchased new in 1983, was and still is one of the
                                fastest production beachcats ever made. Both Waterstreet and his wife,
                                Sandy, are regulars on these trips.

                                Another regular for the past 10 years is Chris Scherba, who makes the
                                crossing solo on Tornado, a 20-ft. Olympic class catamaran. Also a
                                10-year veteran, Alan Thompson is famous for the annual voyage he
                                makes alongside the enormous fleet of racers in the Newport to
                                Ensenada race each April in his 20-ft. Nacra.

                                Beachcat sailors have a ritualistic custom. When a cat sailor makes
                                his or her first crossing to Catalina Island, he or she is known as "a
                                first-time crosser." That person is obligated to buy the beachcat
                                fleet he or she came with the first round of Buffalo Milk, Catalina
                                Island's signature cocktail.

                                The beachcat niche is a unique slice of the Southern California
                                boating community. It provides a unique opportunity that is made
                                possible by Catalina Island and the cooperation of its conservancy
                                ownership.

                                --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Dubs, Jr." <kdjr@...> wrote:

                                > Can this trip be made on a prindle 18?
                                >
                                > Ken
                                >

                                > On 3/13/07 10:13 PM, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > At least 5 catamarans have joined in our group that will be sailing to
                                > > and from Catalina Island, from Cabrillo Beach, CA this March 23-25th.
                                > > Anyone seaworthy and intersted should find Buzz, GARY, or anyone else
                                > > who knows about the crossing.
                                > >
                                > > GARY

                              • Lee
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
                                  I did my first trip to Catalina on my H-16 with no other boats. I
                                  brought my girlfriend along and our camping gear (tent, sleeping bags
                                  ect.)Looking back on it, it was a dumb move considering how bad it
                                  can get out there with no other boats to lend assistance. Yes your
                                  boat can do it, as long as it is in top order. Are your skills up to
                                  it? is the question. Do your homework and go with a group. Just my
                                  $.02 Lee

                                  --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > fleet he or she came with the first round of Buffalo Milk, Catalina
                                  > Island's signature cocktail.
                                  >
                                  > The beachcat niche is a unique slice of the Southern California
                                  > boating community. It provides a unique opportunity that is made
                                  > possible by Catalina Island and the cooperation of its conservancy
                                  > ownership.
                                  >

                                  > --- In beachcats@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Dubs, Jr." <kdjr@>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > Can this trip be made on a prindle 18?
                                  > >
                                  > > Ken
                                  > >

                                  > > On 3/13/07 10:13 PM, "hobiegary" <hobiegary@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > At least 5 catamarans have joined in our group that will be
                                  sailing to
                                  > > > and from Catalina Island, from Cabrillo Beach, CA this March 23-
                                  25th.
                                  > > > Anyone seaworthy and intersted should find Buzz, GARY, or

                                • hobiegary
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                    There were about 9 cats who's owners said that they were going to sail
                                    to Catalina this past weekend. There was also a reporter and camera
                                    man form the L.A. Times that were going to go with us and do a story.

                                    As the date got near, they started to back out. On the day before the
                                    trip, the reporters backed out also.

                                    On Friday we set out with four boats, one more would come over on
                                    Saturday. Part way through the day, half the fleet turned back due to
                                    lack of wind.

                                    Shari and I rafted up with Buzz and his crewman Terry in the ocean, a
                                    few miles off the coast of San Pedro, CA. We had drinks, sushi, and a
                                    lot of good conversation. At 4:30 we decided to head for home. We
                                    were going to use the outboard motor that I had brought along.

                                    Just then the wind blew and we decided to do some ocean sailing,
                                    toward the island. Freshening breeze on calm water made for some of
                                    the best sailing that I've seen. Hull flying, trapezing, skipping
                                    over waves we just kept on going.

                                    Three hours later we landed on the beach at the island's isthmus, Two
                                    Harbors, California. We hustled to get the boats up the beach, dry
                                    ourselves off and don some dry clothes. We headed for town, a half
                                    mile away, to get some dinner before the restaurant closed.

                                    After dinner and drinks, we were all exhausted so we headed back to
                                    the boats to crawl into our trampoline top tents. High tide came and
                                    went and in the morning there were 9 giant squid (Humbolt Squid) on
                                    the beach.

                                    Saturday was a beautiful day and we did a lot of good old fashioned
                                    relaxing. The breeze was nice, the sun was warm, and the beauty of
                                    the island and the bay were enjoyed.

                                    In the evening we all went up to the banning house (where Glenn and
                                    Connie got married) and enjoyed happy hour there. The views from
                                    Banning House allow you to see the bay on both sides of the island;
                                    Two Harbors and Catalina Harbor. We enjoyed wine and watched a pair
                                    of Ravens skillfuly navigate the updrafts.

                                    Alan called from the beach to let us know that he had arrived and was
                                    on his way to town. So we all went back to town to have dinner.

                                    Sunday we enjoyed some breakfast before getting the boats ready to
                                    sail back home. We shoved off at about 12:30 and the wind that blows
                                    through the isthmus carried us out to sea, under our spinnakers. The
                                    wind was still calm in the channel and we waited patiently for it to
                                    begin its daily routine.

                                    The wind was light and we enjoyed calm seas all the way across. We
                                    flew the spinnakers and had reasonable boat speed, 10-12 knots.

                                    As we approached the lighthouse at Angles Gate, Shari and I were
                                    struck by a gust and fliped. The cargo bags tried to pull us into a
                                    turtle and our falling onto the boom made turtling a certainty.

                                    Jettisoning the cargo bags from the quick release system was
                                    accomplished and then I was going to have to haul up the spinnaker. I
                                    got on the radio since I was so close to help. I called for Vessel
                                    Assist, being a Boat-US member. The Coast Gaurd answered and asked
                                    for gps coordinates. I gave them.

                                    Minutes later there were four boats converging on us, all from about
                                    the same place. The CG made certain that we were safe and in no life
                                    threatening danger, then they rounded up some of our floatsom that had
                                    come loose from the boat. The L.A. County Lifegaurds tossed us a line
                                    and we rigged it to flip the boat back on her feet.

                                    A few minutes later we were tidying the boat and getting ready to
                                    sail. The water was cold, but once we were out of it, we were warm.

                                    Damage Report:
                                    Giant Bruise on Shari's leg
                                    Dead Blackberry communicator (brand new)
                                    Dead cell phone
                                    dead gps (lasted just long enough!)
                                    salt water in the crankcase of the motor (spent the next day repairing it)
                                    salt water in everything

                                    Fun Times!

                                    Pictures:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/2zxxh5

                                    GARY
                                  • Damon Linkous
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                      Thanks for that story Gary. Cool pictures of the big squid, I guess
                                      that means you had sushi on the return trip as well. ;-)

                                      Damon Linkous
                                      Hobie 18 Magnum 1981 (for sale)
                                      Hobie 18 Magnum 1992
                                      Memphis, Tennessee
                                      http://www.TheBeachcats.com

> [...]
                                      > for gps coordinates. I gave them.
                                      >
                                      > Minutes later there were four boats converging on us, all from about
                                      > the same place. The CG made certain that we were safe and in no
                                      > life
                                      > threatening danger, then they rounded up some of our floatsom that
                                      > had
                                      > come loose from the boat. The L.A. County Lifegaurds tossed us a
                                      > line
                                      > and we rigged it to flip the boat back on her feet.
                                      >
                                      > A few minutes later we were tidying the boat and getting ready to
                                      > sail. The water was cold, but once we were out of it, we were warm.
                                      >
                                      > Damage Report:
                                      > Giant Bruise on Shari's leg
                                      > Dead Blackberry communicator (brand new)
                                      > Dead cell phone
                                      > dead gps (lasted just long enough!)
                                      > salt water in the crankcase of the motor (spent the next day

                                    • hobiegary
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                        More pictures in there now:
                                        http://tinyurl.com/2zxxh5