OPT question.

  • swagato bhatta
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      hello

      It will be a great help if anyone can tell me if it is legal to work for 5
      months after undergrad graduation and then work for 8 months during higer
      studies like Masters.Also in that case, will it be ok to work for 12
      months after the MSc post graduation?

      Also, I think we are allowed to stay legally in US for 2 months after
      graduation? What if the OPT takes more than the 60 days to process? I mean
      what if I receive the OPT like 80 or 90 or 120 days later of graduation..
      Will i become illegal after the 60 days graduation or since that I applied
      for gradauation I can legally stay in US until I get my OPT?

      Sincerely
      Swagato Bhatta
      Electrical and Computer Engineer
      University of Minnesota Duluth
      Phone: (218) 310 - 4021
      Email: swagatobhatta@...
      http://www.swagatobhatta.tk
    • Mashrur Nabi
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        This my understanding ....

        As long as you have an immigration file being processing in INS in your case
        OPT, than you are still maintaining your legal status. That is provided you
        applied for your OPT ample time before your graduation.

        You cannot legally work unlees you have a EAD card which is your employment
        number which u get with your OPT. Now if the OPT takes longer than 60 days,
        INS does issue temporary EAD card for you to use to work.

        There are other restrictions that exist with OPT such as you can only work
        in your own major of study and so on.

        Hope that helps.

        I am sure your university can answer these questions better than I can.
      • Moshtaque Yusuf
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          It used to be 1 year opt for a student in his entire lifetime. But I think
          they changed the law to 1 year opt per degree. ISO at your school should
          be able to verify that.

          If your OPT takes more than 60 (or is it 90) days to process then you can
          just walk in to your local INS with the OPT receipt and they will issue
          you an OPT right away.

          Hope this helps,

          Kaps, San Jose
        • swagato bhatta
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2003
            Hi

            Does anyone know of any good lawyer for Australian immigration? Someone
            with whom I can talk to an dthen figure out whether I can apply.

            Sincerely
            Swagato Bhatta
            Electrical and Computer Engineer
            Phone: (218) 310 - 4021
            Email: swagatobhatta@...
            http://www.swagatobhatta.tk
            MSc in Electrical and Computer Engineerng
            University of Minnesota