Bangladeshi Canadian Amit made a history

  • Samia Jaman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2009

      Bangladeshi Canadian Amit made a history…….

      Here is a good news for everybody. Bangladeshi Canadian Dr. Amit Chakma made a history. He will be the next president and VC of the Western Ontario University in Canada. This is our victory. We are proud of him.

      While the 49-year-old Chakma brings an impressive resume and curriculum vitae, his rise has not been easy and he’s the first to admit he could not have done it alone.

      Chakma’s father was the only member of his family – he had 10 siblings – to attend school, rather than following the Chakma tribe’s tradition of living off the land.

      The foresight in this decision allowed the family to persevere when a hydro-electric dam built in their traditional area submerged the land. While a large segment of the tribe moved to remote areas for a fresh start, Chakma’s father took the family to work in a nearby town, where Chakma was able to enroll in school.