19 replies - Contribution of Non Resident Bangladeshis

  • bdresearchers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2008
      Reply 1
      From: Zico <mailzico@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 am
      Subject: Re: Contribution of Non Resident Bangladeshis

      In my opinion, this is incomplete! It would be nice enough if you could write the *whole complete* article based on your subject.

      --
      Best,

      Reply 2
      From: Muslehuddin Ahmad <mahmad@...>
      Date: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm

      Dear Shuvra,

      The comments though unkind are largely true, but not applicable to all. Some are involved in Software production in and export from the country, which give employment to many people. Some who returned have set up successful business units. You should consider them in your research work.

      All the best,
      M Ahmad

      Reply 3
      From: "Zaman Maniruzzaman" <zaman.maniruzzaman@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:08 am

      Dear Editor,

      I am appalled reading Mr Shubra's report. It would have been better and professional had he done research properly on his chosen subject before writing this article, which seems to be emotional and superficial and to a degree out of jealousy of NRB's success. He has shown total disrespect about Non-resident Bangladeshi in general and failed to register NRB's contribution. His writing will only promote division among Bangladeshis' across the globe, which does not help anyone. We all need to be careful about what we read and digest.

      Monir Zaman
      Senior Practitioner
      Community Mental Health Team
      East London, England

      Reply 4
      From: "Mohd. Haque" <haquetm83@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 am

      What can I say being a long time NRB. The article is written with a complete negative mind set and the writer failed to see the world as it is. Well that is the general characteristics of our journalists, and the majority.

      Like myself many of us moved out to make a living first but that did not disect me from my roots. I read local newspapers more than the foreign one but read from the foreign authors than the locals. I visit my village every year and fully connected to my poor villagers. Every taka I saved 90 % of it is in Bangladeshi banks or turned into other local assets.

      If the pimp and prostitute could earn 8 billion dollars, that should have been the no. one industry in modern economy. That is the knowledge breadth of a bangladeshi journalist!

      If not all, majority of us are connected and devising a way to stay connected. It is the rule of law and the culture that prevents many of us from direct engagement but as the rule of law changes so the participation of NRBs. Few highly technical financial instutions are run be NRBs, do you know that?

      China's boom started by the migrated chinese when the government opened up and offered incentives on their much needed investements. For India it is same. For Pakistan and Bangladesh it is changing too.

      Can you imagine how the economy could have accomodated around 10 million people with jobs and what they would have done other than becoming a venom spreading dubious writer in a local daily established with corruption infested fund. You may close your eyes on 8 billion dollar that is providing a significant streangth to the econmy, call it your liberty.

      Should the social order or the rule of law enticed them, their investement would have been more than what it is in the real state as a desperate move to getting involved, as no one can take or squander on their land. You do not feel their pain, nor can you understand what they aspire for their homeland. How can you, social reality does not allow you, that is how you are taught their to make a living.

      You will never ask for a real change of our society because you can not see them as they are. What the politics has induced, you are a product of their input and it is a tragedy being there, yet you fail to rise to the occassion and side with the oppressed and misruled.

      Believe me, what ever the way we are foced or managed to earn our savings, if you raise your voice to correct the judiciary, correct the magistrate courts and the legal system, to reform the Central Bank or monetary system, NBR, BOI and remove those phd. or professors from Dhaka University whose loyalty goes more with their Netri's than their students, you would see the influx of our children back to the main stream and our savings to pump additional oxygen to nerve of our economy. You do not know the pain living in others backyard whether in London, NY, Rome, Jeedah, Dubai, Kuwait and else where.

      When you being a journalist has so much cynic towards us your mentors are awaiting to snatch everything that we would carry from airport to our homes.

      I do not understand what inspires you to write such an hatefull article (did the Independent really publish it?), we may have our shortcomings but accepting the greater fact should you change your wish and with compassion, accomodation, love and wisdom open your arms and chest you see, you will live in humility and peace and our society would be better place to live in.

      When I presume that an editorial has a great power and the journalists can effectively turn our society's streangth toward our prosperity and well being, irony is their indulgence is in mostly dubious or irrelevant issues.

      Reply 5
      From: zia haque <antidiscipline@...>
      Date: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:48 am

      Dear Shubra,

      Congratulations on your nice article. Yes, you are rights many NRBs of India are more patriotic than that of Bangladesh. Many NRBs try to take money from Bangladesh while others to take money and knowledge cascade to own country.

      You are right that many foreign consultants are involved in running many projects in Bangladesh, who have no much knowledge on the ground reality of Bangladesh. I have also that sorts of information. Once a German consultant worked here on ferry management in Bangladesh. Whereas, he never worked on that in past anywhere and also there is no ferry system in his province where he was born and brought up.

      Zia

      Reply 6
      From: "MURSHED Hossain, akm" <murshed@...>
      Date: Sep 17, 2008 11:38 pm

      Dear Mr. Shahidul K K Shuvra :

      Thank you so very much for such a well-written article.

      We had an appeal to NRBs working for Call Center Organizations. The reply we received, also we circulated @ bdresearchers.

      One NRB came to Bangladesh for doing data-entry business, lost 10 Million BDT, now offering consultancy. It is not always bad loosing some money, but with such a back-ground, if some one advise an entrepreneur to invest 100 Crore BDT, how should we react.

      Agreeing 100 percent with you, I, like to add that NRBs instead of supporting, trying to take advantages. We hate this sort of attitude.

      Last but not the least; Bangladesh will progress even with competing India and China and definitely with-out any support from NRBs.

      Thank you again Shahidul Bhai.

      MURSHED Hossain, akm, Executive Director
      e-Zone Group

      Reply 7
      From: Raihan-Ul- Islam <raihan1780@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 am

      thnaks for such a nice mail...

      I have one question

      Is our country leaders or people of bangladesh wants to take help from white color NRB???

      Reply 8
      From: Kazi Al-rashid <kazinaimalrashid@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 am

      And your point is... ??

      Reply 9
      From: shanko nadi <shanko_nadi@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 am

      Dear Mr. Shahidul,

      Thanks for sharing your opinions.
      Thoug it is reality, but it is happening.

      Reply 10
      From: "Md. Mizanur" <mizanaktel@...>
      Date: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 pm

      Dear Brothers& Sisters,

      Greetings from the heart of Bangladesh. Remittance from Non-resident Bangladeshi & factories (cotton mills, spinning mills, garments etc.) have drastically changed the scenario of rural Bangladesh not theso called micro-credit operated by Grameen Bank, BRAC, Proshika, ASA & other NGOs. Moreover, high interest loan of the NGOs created heavy mental pressureupon the poor.

      Let us take a look how it has happened in a rural village of about 7500 peoples named Bahuria, Mirzapur, Tangail,

      A. Before 10/12 years, during 1996/97

      1. There were only 9/10 non-resident Bangladeshis of that village.
      2. Half of the 5 kms connecting road to Dhaka-Tangail highway were kacha & difficult to communicate.
      3. There were lots of lands for sale.
      4. About 20%houses were tin-shed or paka/semi-paka
      5. Hardly a few tin-shed or paka/semi-paka sanitary latrines.
      6. Only 4/5shops in the village market.
      7. Daily transactions in the market of about 1000/1200 taka.
      8. Income from remittance hardly 10%
      9. Income by day labors 30%
      10. Others services, factory workers etc 5%
      11. Agricultural activities 50%
      12. NGOs, Donors� contribution not more than 5%

      B. Now in 2008, after 10/12 years,

      1. There is 160/170non-resident Bangladeshis of that village.
      2. The 5 kms connecting road to Dhaka-Tangail highway is paka by the Government. Rickshaw, tempois available to communicate.
      3. People don't want to sale their lands.
      4. About 90%houses are tin-shed or paka/semi-paka
      5. About 80%sanitary latrines are tin-shed or paka/semi paka.
      6. 70 shops in the village market.
      7. Daily transaction in the market of about 100000 taka.
      8. Income from remittance more than 50%
      9. Income by day labors 10% (Rate has increased due to the shortageof labors)
      10. Others services, factory workers etc 20%
      11. Agricultural activities 15%
      12. NGOs, Donors contribution still not more than 5%

      We would like to conclude that the above is the very common scenario of Bangladesh. We by the experiences of about 8 years can also say that if only Grameen Bank, BRAC, Proshika and ASA really want the Government of Bangladesh will be able to eradicate poverty of about 95% within next 3/4 years following the "Guide Line of Minimum Needs of Various Classes of Peoples of Bangladesh".

      * for details visit http://www.minimumneeds.org/

      With regards,

      Mizan
      Co-worker, Minimum Needs Movement
      (B.Sc. in Electrical & Electronics Engg, Senior Manager, Aktel)

      Reply 11
      From: Jafrin Hossain <ssadwasa@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01 am

      Dear Mr. Shahidul,

      I am impressed with your comments on NRB. You have addressed the facts. Unlike Indian NRBs, Bangladeshi NRBs have little contribution towards our country. They only think about themselves. In this situation why those who have little or have aboslutely no contribution towards their nation, are allowed to be voter ? Government and also the countryman must think over this.

      Indian NRBs are patriot. Indian NRBs play vital role in ICT sector which has been booming for last two decades and Indian government only provides infrastructure and policy. We can find few Bangladeshis living abroad particularly those who live in western countries, do little for the country though some of them hold very key positions. This is because, as a nation we are very selfish and only think about ourselves, compared to any other nation in the world, Even Pakistani NRBs have more patrotism compared to Bangladeshi NRBs.

      I know a Bangladeshi living in Dallas with his family and parents (his father was a high official public servant). He does business in USA. He develops software in India and markets in North America. As because Bangladesh has the ability do develop international standard software and has been developing for last few years, I requested him to develop software in Bangladesh about two years before instead of India and he promised. But that's all with no progress and as usual software is developed in India till to date.
      There was Bengalee community in every big city of western countries. What do they do ? It is responsibility of the community to motive the NRBs. But they measurbly fail. They only quarrel among themselves and practically do nothing for the welfare of Bangladesh.

      Now I sign off. Hope you will raise this issue in various forums through your writings.

      Regds

      Jafrin Hossain
      Sr. System Analyst, Dhaka WASA
      &
      Secretary General, Bangladesh Computer Society

      Reply 12
      From: "Ananya" <ananya@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 am

      There is no denial that most of the Banglaees and Bangladeshies, whether living in Bangladesh and abroad, are playing some role for changing our beloved country. Not all activities are appreciated equally for various reasons. I am personally and through the organization I am involved with, is involved with many NRB groups. And I should say, when you claim your contribution, it is not necessary to undermine others’ contribution. We need to learn to appreciate people for even a small good deed. Probably that is the way, we can flourish. I appreciate facts presented by Mizan, but I am sure that the change occurred to his village is not only by the contribution of NRBs, probably the government plays a big role, definitely NGOS have also some role. The attribution problem of any success is common, it is also a research methodology problem, and we must be careful to claim our own contribution in something.

      Reply 13
      From: "Engr. Mosharraf H. Khan" <engrmhkhan@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:57 am

      I personally and organizationally agree with Mr. Ananya Raihan.

      The facts & figures just have shown the visible impact on the development of the village not the hypothetical contribution of various corners and the contributions of others such as NGOs, Donors are rightly pointed out. The figures don�t claim that the achievement of the village due to the contribution of any NRB group; it is the individual contribution of the NRBs.

      We believe that the government is the key contributor of all the development activities. We also strongly believe that only and only a pro-people Government could drastically changed like the mentioned village with the help of political parties of Bangladesh, competent resident & non-resident Bangladeshis, businessmen, corporate bodies, journalist, scholars of various sections of the society, eminent poet, literary, cultural activist, NGOs, donors etc.

      Thanks & regards,

      Engr. Mosharraf H. Khan
      Chairperson & ED, MNM

      E-mail : mhkhan@...
      Web : www.minimumneeds.org

      Reply 14
      From: "Saj" <SAJJAD_PAK@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:44 am

      Dear Mr. Shahidul K K Shuvra

      I shall disagree with you on the issue of NRBs, while admitting that many of them are not contributing positively. No body can deny the importance of foreign remittances by the foreign residents.

      NRB praising culture is not only rising in Bangladesh but also in almost all developing countries like Srilanka, Nepal, India, Pakistan and many others, especially from Africa. It is very unfortunate that our local businesses and employers prefers foreign returned jobless and hopeless citizens instead of hiring the residents. Though, we will never like to make any kind of distinction between resident and foreign resident person. But there are many reason, which force us to think about it. Let's first talk about the education system.

      People in our countries believe that west and American based education institutes are best in world and educate people better. This logic is totally unable to impress myself. My personal experience and reading of foreign education systems tell me that education in our own countries is more country and society oriented than the west. Additionally, coaching in the schools and colleges & universities is more tough and have better standards. Also, our teachers and all other kinds of support staff of our schools, collages and universities allocate more time & effort than those so called professors of west. Last year, British administration passed 97% students of O level. Which is quite surprising to me, as 3% usually get ill during exam days or simply do not dare to attend the exams. This clearly means that they passed almost every single candidate who, atleast, attended the exams. Now, it must be investigated that what tools, they used on their kids that almost 100% passed the exams. Keeping such facts in mind, it is hard to say that foreign prepared candidates can do something really constructive for us. However, some of them should have been given exception as, especially in the field of Technology, we have no or very few education institutes in our country. But the tragedy is that most of the educationists, as you mentioned in your post, get their education at the expense of our nation and serve others. They only and only come back when their foreign masters kick them out. We need to approach them, motivate them and encourage them to serve their country with their money, experience and most importantly with their presence in their country. Yes, foreign remittances play vital role in our economies. But, how long we will keep depending on so called foreign remittances, anyway?

      Secondly, you raised the issue of sex business, where few Bangladeshi found on this business across India and Pakistan. Well, India's sex business is transforming itself into an industry and there is no doubt into it. Hundreds of Thousands of poor and needy women from across India and Bangladesh and from few other countries are forced to join this ugly industry. Which is infect a black spot on the face of humanity. I do not know, what Indian government is doing to stop this shameless business across India. But, as far as Pakistan is concern. I can tell you with full confidence that there is no such thing exist. Though, no body can deny the existence of Sex Business in Pakistan. But it neither that much organised nor it is that big as in India or any other country. Then, yes there are many Bangladeshis living and working in Pakistan, legally as well as illegally. But, the number of Bangladeshis involved in this business is very rare. Actually, most of such Bangali women are forced for sex against their will and many time such cases reported to Police and appropriate actions had been taken. Most of the Bangalis or let me say that almost all Bangalis are doing jobs. Though, such jobs are low paid. But many of them working hard to set themselves up. The real problem is of illegal Bangalis, who can not use banking services and can not approach police, in case of any crime committed against them. But, to be quite honest, they are enjoying almost the same living conditions in Pakistan as available for them in Bangladesh with relatively higher income levels. That is why, they are here. Here, my purpose is that you should not compare living conditions of Bangalis in Pakistan with India. They are far better than their country men living in India.

      Yes, many Bangalis feel their families insecure in Bangladesh. But this is common disease in all of our countries. For example, when my brother went to UK, 12 years before. He was also used to call us daily, expressing his concerns about the existence of Pakistan and keep insisting me that you should also try to come to UK, before something happen to Pakistan. This was mainly due to propaganda campaign against us in western media. Thanks to Allah, we are still there and now very very few Pakistanis take such things serious. What I want to say that Bangladesh is relatively new country than Pakistan and India and I am quite sure that you would have to wait for another decade or two to see positive change in over all mentality of NRBs. However, you can put this process in top gear by approaching your Bangali brothers and sisters, abroad and providing them access to local news and events etc. This could be best done by publishing websites, taking your news and media channels online, developing Bangladesh oriented websites such as marriage sites etc etc. One thing, I am sure you need to do is to use ENGLISH to approach them. This way, you will not only providing them access to information relating to their country but will also serve non-Bangalis and help them to have more and more information about Bangladesh and about its people.

      Property selling also happens in Pakistan, But with little different mind set. Here, only 10% tend to sell their properties and take money abroad for valid reasons. But 90% of them also sick, just like your people and tend to think that their generations would be more secure in other countries. Though, many of them had run back to their homeland when westerners and Americans conducted racists attacks on them in various forms. I believe that you should give them time to experience and think that what they doing is wrong. Your best shot is that try to keep them in touch with you.

      Inefficiency and lack of competency is not only Bangali or Pakistani problem. but is also a problem of these developed country. Their own people are also inefficient and un-compatible. That is why, they hire our educated people and give green cards and passports to our businessmen. The question is why such people tend to go out of the country? The main reason is insecurity, secondly unfavourable political conditions of our countries. Let's hope that soon Bangladesh would stabilise itself politically and I am sure that such trends in wealthy people will start losing its strength.

      NRIs are not simply more dedicated to India, as they send more money back to their homeland. The actual reason is that India had successfully kept in touch all its NRIs in other countries. As I mentioned above, Bangalis desperately needs similar actions to make their NRBs more loyal to their country.

      And NGOs.... Well, never expect from them if such NGOs are foreign funded. However, local NGOs must be encouraged. As in Pakistan, Edhi Sahab had done a very good work. But what is the contribution of foreign NGOs. Let me think.. Nothing.

      ____________

      We all need to unite and stand as one against the common enemies

      Sajjad Ahmad

      Freelance Writer & Researcher
      Rawalpindi, Pakistan

      Email: sajjad_pak@...

      Author and Moderator

      PakistanFront
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PakistanFront

      AccountantsInPakistan
      http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/AccountantsInPakistan/

      TechnologyPakistan
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TechnologyPakistan

      ArzKyaHa
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArzKyaHa/

      Reply 15
      From: "Mohammad Zakaria" <goufbd@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 pm

      Connecting two points by Mr. Mijan is awsome.When we connect two points , we produce a relationship.We call it a line. When I look at this line I clelarly see where am I going sometime in future. If I don't want tha tpoint inmy life, in my national life, inner energy individual and collective , will find a better point to move toward. May be -in Mr. Mijan's statement there is over rush to conclusion. No problem.As we grapple with problems, we shall find solution.What is more important is -grappling with problem, keeping the debate alive, generate light. Solutions will flicker in the process.

      NRBs proved- we are no more Tagaor's ghor kono Bangalee. Global exposure will make us' manush.' Remittance last year is 107 billion, half of total debt since liberation.What else NRBs will do? suggest.Bring new ideas. Farmers feeding 14 crore from lesser land land than seventies. How the NRBs can bring different ideas from diferent countries to produce more- suggest.

      We have increased in quantiy of education-enrolment went up.Quality- no good. How NRBs bring new ideas of creative education from many countries- suggest. Don't criminalize.

      If Israel can produce and export flowers to Europe and make big money because of knowledge economy in agriculture, we have the most fertile land. What we need - is knowledge agriculture.How? suggest.

      India is early starter. doing better.Remittance figure shows- our spine is stronger than before as a nation.Build on what we already achieved.Mnay miles to go. Thanks Mr. Suvra to trigger the issue. You proved to be good in that.

      Thnks.

      Zakaria

      Reply 16
      From: Sazzadur Rahman <sr_tusar@...>
      Date: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:32 am

      Dear Shuvra,
      Thank you for your nice posting regarding NRB.
      But all your points are not true. But I appreciate your urge towards the honest people to come forward. I think you wrote it from some dismay and animosity.

      I came to the UK for study. Many students come to developed countries to study and get job after their study. They try to settle down in developed countries. Our talent people come to abroad to settle. We all know the reason.

      1. We do not have good education system.

      2. Our educational institutions are controlled by terrorists and politians.

      3. Our govt officials are engaged with crime inside their own institutions, they can do it because we do not have strong legal system. We do not make strong legal system because our politians and their loyalist supporters will not be benefited then.

      We do not think about our country, we just think about ourselves.

      There are many other problems. Our problem is that we can not overcome these problems.

      Many of our people always shout that they love their country, they sacrifice their blood on the streets for politicians. But they do it to satisfy their patrons, not the mankind. This is not patriotism. This is loyalism to their patrons. This is not loyalism to thecountry.

      The people who live in abroad, they are more patriot than the people who live in Bangladesh. You talked about teachers, scientists, doctors, engineers and corporate staffs but you did not clarify why they do not want to move to country. The big sceientists have lot of work to do, it does not matter where they work. We do not need NASA scientists in our country, rather NASA needs them for doing research. Any knowledge belongs to the world. Any knowledge is utilized for the mankind in the world.

      The people having white colour jobs do not send money through hundy. The restaurant owners and their workers send money through Hundy. The educated people usually do not do it.

      Many NRB are very rich but they do not invest in Bangladesh. The richest NRB are the restaurant owners, hotel owners or big business man. They invest money to buy flat or house or plots in Bangladesh. The NRB send money to Bangladesh but what our Govt are doing? We have to see that our Govt officials and politians and their loyalist supporters waste our money just for their entertainment.

      Nobody wants to live in abroad. All NRB have despair in their hearts. Afterall, these countries are not our country.

      A man's feet must be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world.

      We should gain the knowledge and experience from developed countries and implement in our Bangladesh. But we need that type of security, support and assurance from the Govt so that the NRB can get the confidence to invest their life long earning money. The NRB are not familiar with the illegal and arms power activities by the people who demand money if you try to set up something. Moreover, there are lot of bureaucracy that are still unresolved. It will never be changed because of our system and law. It is in our blood to think about ourseleves, not for the entire country.

      Can we change this mentality? Can we establish patriotism in our hearts? We can not do it and hence we are in this position. If we could change it, we would be in OECD countries.

      Our people in Bangladesh do not have patriotism. You told Indian example. They are different. They have patriotism. Their Govt established their infrastructure, so NR Indians like to go back to their country. Look at Malyasia. They have patriotism. Every year thousand of Malyasian students some to developed countries for higher education, financed by their Govt, after finishing their study, they have two options- they go back to their country or they can stay for 2-3 years to work so that they can gain knowledge and experience; but finally they have to go back. Now they do not need visa to come to any western countries. They established their country just like OECD countries. Even India could not make them like Malyasia.

      We do not want to see our Bangladesh like UK or USA where there are lot of crime, poor social infrastructure and disturbances. We want to see our Bangladesh like Scandinavian countries, Singapore or Canada where they have very strong social infrastructure. be par
      But we need to have patriotism to establish a good infrastructure.

      But what do we see in Bangladesh? In Bangladesh, many people are in very high positions who are not supposed to be there.

      Our people who work in developed countries, if they get opportunity, definitely they will go to Bangladesh. They do not want to go back to Bangladesh to be hijacked on the roads, to be killed by mobs, or to be extorted money by extortioners and their patron politicians.

      Most of the NRB love Bangladesh. They have passion and love for the country as well as untold despair. We do not need talency for the development of our country, we just need purpose for the work that can make us more civilized and developed.

      Our students who come to developed countries, they should work here to get experineces so that they can implement the skills and company culture and rule in Bangladesh. The rich NRB should not just buy land or property, they can invest on many areas such as food production, food processing, dairy production just like developed countries so that people can get quality food. We can implement the concepts and ideas that developed countries used for their daily lives that make a comfortable life for them.

      Many uneducated people come to developed countries by selling their property. I saw many people who came illegally by giving 8-10 lac tk to traders or middleman. Even, if they would do something with that money in Bangladesh, they could do that. At least, they could establish a fish farm, or dairy farm. Many people want red passport so that they can travel anywhere easily. But if we would establish ourselves like Malyasia, we would not need red passport to travel anywhere easily.

      Everyone should have purpose for the tasks that must be suitable and advantageous for the people and Bangladesh. But do not criticise NRB who do not send money to Bangladesh. The problems that are already existed in our country because of the people who live in Bangladesh. It is in our blood that we just think about ourselves, we can never think about the country. How can we change our blood? We need to replace the whole blood so that we can be patriot.

      Is it ever possible? I appreciate your comments.

      Regards,

      Sazzadur Rahman
      UK

      Reply 17
      From: "Mohammad Zakaria" <goufbd@...>
      Date: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 am

      I watched an NRBs bursting into crying while narrating his two decade stuggle to coe back to Bangladehs with some solid work - data entry work- from Canada. The day final deal was goign to signed- there was a headline news- power failure in Bangladesh. Only due to lack of electricity the order was cancelled. Whom shall we blame? NRBs or criminalization of politics? Everyone these days know what ahppened around power generation.

      Are we poor or leaderless? Malaysia was like us.

      I met NRBs in East London , trying to come back. They lost one third of their money behind bureaucratic corruption and finally diverted their money to Vietnam.

      Who can afford get out of this country because our universities are not safe. Politicians send their children abroad and recruit poor students to kill and get killed. They, no matter in position or in opposition, will not bother for quality in our education till their children go to local universities.As long as they are filthy rich, they will not be interested.

      Our problems are multidimensional and integrated. We are looking at parts. We fought against aucratic rule of Ersahd. We are good at movement. We are very bad at post movement stage.We are slave of binary politics.We never analyze why the fruits of hard earned democracy could not be harvested after the fall of Ershad. Patriotism wil come thrugh such trend analysis.

      Reply 18
      From: Shahidul Shuvra <s_shuvera@...>
      Date: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:58 pm

      Dear friends and my readers,

      It will not be wise to take my letter personally. I didnt try to hurt any NRB personally. I saw a few my NRB friends sincerely working for Bangladesh. But big part of white collar NRBs are working for their own future and prospect.

      In my previous pasting I divided NRBs into two parts like White collar (teachers, scientists, doctors, engineers, corporate staffs etc) and Blue collar (labors, servants, hawkers, sweepers, prostitutes etc). I said blue collar NRBs are contributing much in our economy with sending their earnings. But contribution of white collars NRBs for Bangladesh is not remarkable. They dont prefer to send income, rather they sell own properties in homeland and send the money by illegal hundi. They invest or deposit the money in US, Europe, Canada and Australia.

      I tried to say our NRBs sex workers have much more contribution in our economy than the contribution of our white collars NRBs who are working as corporate staffs, doctors, teachers, scientist etc. But that doesnt mean I support the prostitution. I said that to measure the contribution of white collar NRBs with a humor.

      Unfortunately our white collar NRBs are getting praise and focus. Nobody says on the big contribution of blue collar NRBs.

      NRBs are busy in making organization for own development, like to make cultural nights by hiring singers and dancers, award renown people. In US there are many NRB organizations who are always in conflicts. We have much more NRB organizations than other countries. But result is almost zero.

      Some months back Scholar Bangladesh arranged a big NRB conference at Dhaka. I did not understand benefit of it. Expenditures of such conference could be directly given to the poor people or for the purpose of other constructive works.

      This is the exact time to know how much money white collar NRBs sent to the western world by illegal Hundi. Well educated people of Bangladesh apply for citizenship to other countries. They sell their properties and migrate to other countries with the money. This is illegal. It is not only brain drainage, sending our wealth to foreign lands. Many NRBs studied at aboard with illegal money sent by their family living in Bangladesh. We should investigate it and write on it.

      I dont think poverty alleviation is possible by micro credit or even by the income of our expatriate people. Someone send data on how expatriate workers are changing life rural people. Money of expatriate people is not going to poor and hardcore people. Sons of solvent family of rural areas usually go to abroad. To go other countries for job you need 1 to 2 lac TK for middleeast countries, and for Europe and US 2 Lac to 10 Lac TK or more. So it is not easy for poor people to arrange such big money.

      I believe poverty alleviation is possible with rapid industrialization and maximum of using of cultivating land by environment friendly technology. Our donors and people like Dr. Yunus will not let us come out from making handicraft by a few women.

      Going foreign lands for blue collar jobs can help our economy, but going for white collar jobs with the money of sold assets is not sign of only brain drainage, it also harmful to our economy.

      Initiative of India to bring back quality NRBs to homeland benefited the country. Indian scientists, researchers, educationists etc are dedicated to the country. They are different than our expatriate scientists, researchers, educationists etc.

      Many replies supported my opinions, some partially and some rose other issues and few disagreed with me. I posted my opinions on NRBs to encourage honest people to come forward because dishonest people already occupied the places. Therefore, intention of my post was to sensitize NRBs and encourage honest people to come against the dishonest beings.

      Best luck,

      Shuvra

      * Contribution of Non Resident Bangladeshis
      Part-II

      By Shahidul K K Shuvra

      The Independent

      Cell- 01715245459

      Reply 19
      From: "Engr. Mosharraf H. Khan" <engrmhkhan@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 am
      Subject: Re: Fw: Re:Contribution of Non Resident Bangladeshis

      Dear Mr Shahidul K K Shuvra,

      I think it is my own failure that I could not able to pass the message clearly by my article (attached below) amed Remittance not Micro credit drastically has changed the Village Bangladesh.

      You will be highly appreciated if please go through the article again by sacrificing your valuable time.

      Thanks & regards,

      Engr. Mosharraf H. Khan
      Chairperson & ED, MNM
      E-mail : mhkhan@...
      Web : www.minimumneeds.org

[...]

      B. Now at 2008, after 10/12 years,

      1. There is 160/170 non-resident Bangladeshis of that village.
      2. The 5 kms connecting road to Dhaka-Tangail highway is paka by the Government. Rickshaw, tempo is available to communicate.
      3. Peoples dont want to sale their lands.
      4. About 90% houses are tin-shed or paka/semi-paka
      5. About 80% sanitary latrines are tin-shed or paka/semi paka.
      6. 70 shops in the village market.
      7. Daily transaction in the market of about 100000 taka.
      8. Income from remittance more than 50%
      9. Income by day labors 10% (Rate has increased due to the shortage of labors)
      10. Others services, factory workers etc 20%
      11. Agricultural activities 15%
      12. NGOs, Donors contribution still not more than 5%

      We would like to conclude that the above is the very common scenario of Bangladesh. We by the experiences of about 8 years can also say that if only Grameen Bank, BRAC, Proshika and ASA really want the Government of Bangladesh will be able to eradicate poverty of about 95% within next 3/4 years following the Guide Line of Minimum Needs of Various Classes of Peoples of Bangladesh.

      Thanks & Regards,

      Engr. Mosharraf H. Khan
      ICT Consultant
      Chairperson & ED, MNM