2 more replies - Localized URL and Domain Name

  • bdresearchers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2007
      Messages List
      1. Joy Chowdhury, Re: Localized URL and Domain Name
      2. Shyamal K. Ganguly, Re: Localized URL and Domain Name

      Reply 1
      From: Joy Chowdhury <boip1@...>
      Date: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:28 pm
      Subject: Re: [bdresearchers] Localized URL and Domain Name

      All,

      You're all making good points. I think I miscommunicated my points. Let me clarify.

      1. I did not say that we forget Bangla and learn English. I have a huge love for my mother language as all of you do. I only wanted to express a different perspective from my pragmatic viewpoint.

      2. I don't think it is wise to compare a day labor of Saudi with a medical doctor in the United States. The influence and impact of a medical doctor will be more significant in many aspects than the day labor for a society.

      3. My point was how could we prepare our younger generation for the global economy?

      4. When a society achieve economy freedom, other social factors seem to take right course. A society is better off with strong economy than with poverty in terms of human rights, law and order, life styles, etc.

      5. My frustration is, I see a lot of emotion in our people; but when it comes to taking steps to preserve and respect our people and heritage, I see a tremendous weakness; I see no results.

      6. I think the best way to solve a lot of our social and economical problems is to increase skills and knowledge of our population and leverage those skills and knowledge to global economy. I mean providing solutions and services for the global economy. There are a lot of opportunity in IT, Healthcare, Manufacturing, etc, where Bangladesh can play role. One of you compared us with China. Chinese are learning English to compete for global market. In reality, Chinese have hired American instructors to teach English in Chinese schools. It has been said in many articles that one reason China is falling behind from India in IT outsourcing because of their language problem. Accenture recently closed down there IT shops in China due to language barrier.

      7. It's obvious that Vista was shipped with mulit-language options. Localization is no new term as well. Google, Yahoo, etc. all have localized search engine. However, my point was not about localization. I only expressed a view that we Bangladeshi graduates need to speak better English. I strongly believe it would open up many doors for us in global job opportunities. I am not saying there are Fortune 1000 jobs knocking in our door today. Yet, I believe with right planning and positioning Bangladesh can be a better IT outsourcing partner than the Philippines in future. But to achieve that goal, Infrastructure and language barriers need to be over come.

      Joy

      Reply 2
      From: "Shyamal K. Ganguly" <sganguly@...>
      Date: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:16 am

      Nazia Habib-Mintz wrote:
      "We are already weak in many ways, there is no need to make us weaker any more
      by
      breaking confidence in our fundamentals like language."

      I Agree 100%. We have a rich language set with excellent Grammer and Phonetics,
      with a support of huge collections of litterature, Music, Drama. Bengali
      Language is spoken by close to 250 Million people.

      With the advances in Digital Signal Processing (DSP Chips) and Computing Power
      (translations among Languages) will be seamless. We will need our Bangladeshi
      Entrepreneurs in IT should look into it. I am interested to talk to them at
      484-334-8290 Extn. 8001

      Shyamal Ganguly
      Reading, Pennsylvania, USA