Johann Thur

  • Patrick Moulsdale
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2008
      For those of you who want to get a taste of what this Warre business is about with out having to read too much I strongly recommend the 10 page excerpt from Johann Thur's book which David has suggested a number of times. I have only just read it but it is a very clear, succinct description of the principals behind it and the problems of modern beekeeping.
    • David J. Heaf
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2008
        Patrick wrote: "...I strongly recommend the 10 page excerpt from Johann
        Thur's book..."

        The extraordinary thing about that article, or more particularly, the Abbé
        Christ (1739-1813) hive that it describes, is that it was apparently
        unknown to Abbé Warré. Christ published his approach about a hundred years
        earlier yet the Christ hive is almost identical in conception to Warré's.

        I have ordered from Germany a transcript of Christ's book that has been
        converted from Old German and Gothic script by Eric Zeissloff (Berlin). It
        was sent on 11 Feb by 'book post' and seems to be taking an age.

        Another person who appears independently to have hit on the Warré concept
        is Ian Rumsey who died a few years ago. His 'Beekeeping Pure and Simple' is
        briefly described at:

        http://www.beesource.com/bee-l/biobeefiles/ian/beekeepingpure_simple.htm

        It seems that he was largely motivated by designing hive conditions which
        made it easy for the bees to cope with Varroa without being treated.

        David Heaf North-West Wales, UK
        Warré & 'National' hives at 30 m over mean sea level