1John 3:2,3 A Motive for Purity

  • bcbsr2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      A Motive for Purity

      1John 3:2,3 Beloved, now we are children of God;
      and at this point in time it has not yet been revealed what we shall be,
      but we have perceived that when He is revealed at some point, we shall be like Him,
      for we shall see Him as He is for ourselves.
      And everyone who has this hope in Him characteristically purifies himself, just as He is pure.

      Likewise Peter writes, "Since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him." 2Pet 3:14 And Paul, after speaking of scripture which promises, "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty", says, "Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." 2Cor 7:1

      Christ is the pattern, the image of what we are to become.

      Applications:
      1.So if you want to be motivated to seek holiness, keep in mind your final destiny.
      2. If a person isn't purfying themselves, that may be indicative that they don't believe. (In other words another indicator of whether one has been born of God is by whether they are purifying themselves) "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires."
      Ga 5:24

      Better yet, going back to 1John 2:18 as to not being ashamed with regards to Christ's return, ask yourself if Christ returned now, what would you be ashamed of. What have you been doing of which you'd be ashamed? And what have you been neglecting to do?

      The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources