Re: Ladner, BC/WA Christmas Count highlights/SLATY-BACKED GULL photos

  • blackcappedlory
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2007
      I opened a folder in the files section labeled
      Slay-Backed Gull. Here I uploaded some photos I took yesterday in the
      rain of this rare gull which our group found during the Ladner
      Christmas Bird Count. Many of the identification features of this
      gull can be seen in these
      photos.

      Merry
      Christmas
      Mike
      Tabak

      Vancouver

      In bcbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne
      Weber" <contopus@...> wrote:

      > Birders,
      >
      > I am reporting some highlights from the Ladner, BC/WA Christmas
      Bird Count
      > on behalf of Jude Grass, count compiler. This count is mostly in
      BC, but
      > also includes Point Roberts, WA and offshore waters. The count took
      place
      > yesterday, Dec. 23, under less than ideal weather conditions (rain
      in the
      > morning, showers/drizzle in the afternoon, temperature 4 to 8
      degrees C,
      > easterly winds of 18-24 km/hr, gusting to 30).
      >
      > The preliminary species total was 138-- a few species below the
      long-term
      > average, but not bad considering the weather conditions!
      >
      > Noteworthy birds seen included the Following:
      >
      > Mute Swan-- 9 along Canoe Pass (W of Ladner)
      > Sandhill Crane-- 5 (Reifel Bird Sanctuary)
      > Black Oystercatcher-- 8 (Tsawwassen ferry terminal)
      > Willet-- 1, again wintering at the base of the ferry jetty
      > SLATY-BACKED GULL-- 1 at the Burns Bog landfill (usually off
      > limits to birders)
      > Glaucous Gull-- 2
      > Rhinoceros Auklet-- 1 at Point Roberts, WA (rare in winter)
      > Band-tailed Pigeon-- 3 (rare on this count)
      > EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE-- 2 along Highway 10 near 96th Street
      > (only the second year for this species)
      > Long-eared Owl-- 2 (one on Lulu I., one at Reifel Bird Sanctuary)
      > N. Saw-whet Owl-- 2 (Reifel Bird Sanctuary)
      > Hutton's Vireo-- 3 (Point Roberts, WA)
      > BOHEMIAN WAXWING-- 21, Reifel Bird Sanctuary (very rare on this
      count)
      > Townsend's Warbler-- 2 (always rare on this count)
      > Snow Bunting-- 3, on and near the ferry jetty
      >

      > One area had still not been heard from, so the species total could
      easily
      > increase by a couple of species.
      >

      > Count-week birds not reported on count day included a COMMON
      YELLOWTHROAT
      > seen on Dec. 20 and a Swamp Sparrow, both from the Reifel Bird
      > Sanctuary.
      >
      > Bad "misses"-- species usually seen on the count-- included Greater
      > White-fronted Goose, Northern Goshawk, Gyrfalcon, Long-billed
      Dowitcher, and