Re: Advice using with Cubase 6

  • Leviathan Seven
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
      Hi Mark,

      I've realised who you are now! Cheers for the advice and i'm 1 step closer to getting the BCR to where i want it to be.

      I think that getting the deice to display the changes in it's LED's as i change software devices is something that i will be able to do in Cubase, but...

      I have managed to reset the templates, but, and this is my naivety that caused this issue, this rendered my BCR kinda useless as no LED's lit up and it wouldn't receive any commands. I did then remember that when i initially used it, out of the box, factory preset P-1 was pretty much what i wanted the whole controller to be, so i could set up my own presets to move through when using VST's. I downloaded the factory preset .sysx files and uploaded "bcr_only_controller.sysx". and this brought everything back up, except, the "Learn" function on the device now doesn't work... I press the learn button with the desired rotary that i wish to use, this singles this rotary out, I then move the required software dial and nothing happens. However, if you use the software's midi learn function it will operate as expected but is obviously not stored on the machine meaning i cant make use of the preset < and > buttons. I know that the learn function worked previously as i have tested it, it appears to not be working after i have set every preset to the "bcr_only_controller.sysx". I'm wondering if it has anything to do with channel assignments?

      I have looked through all of the Frequently Asked Questions but am unable to see anything applicable - Any further advise would be appreciated as i'm starting a music course next week and would love to have everything ready to go.

      Carl.
    • Mark v.d. Berg
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2011
        --- In bc2000@yahoogroups.com, Leviathan Seven <leviathanse7en@...> wrote:
        > I have managed to reset the templates, but, and this is my naivety that
        > caused this issue, this rendered my BCR kinda useless as no LED's lit up
        > and it wouldn't receive any commands. I did then remember that when i
        > initially used it, out of the box, factory preset P-1 was pretty much
        > what i wanted the whole controller to be, so i could set up my own
        > presets to move through when using VST's. I downloaded the factory
        > preset .sysx files and uploaded "bcr_only_controller.sysx". and this
        > brought everything back up, except, the "Learn" function on
        > the device now doesn't work... I press the learn button with the desired
        > rotary that i wish to use, this singles this rotary out, I then move the
        > required software dial and nothing happens.

        I've looked at the preset in bcr_Only_Controllers.syx: it sets all buttons and encoders to Control Change messages (on MIDI channel 1), except the "special" buttons: ENCODER GROUPS, STORE/LEARN/EDIT/EXIT and PRESET </>, so that these buttons retain their "special" functions.

        So e.g. if you hold the LEARN button, then turn the bottom right rotary (encoder 49), you enter LEARN mode for encoder 49: the display shows "E 49" and the encoder's LED starts blinking.
        Then if you send a MIDI message to the BCR, the display should briefly show display "Good", then return to (e.g.) "P- 1".

        From your words I gather that the problem you're experiencing doesn't lie with the BCR, but with the MIDI plugin (VST(i)): moving the software dial either doesn't send a MIDI message at all, or it somehow doesn't arrive at the BCR.

        > However, if you use
        > the software's midi learn function it will operate as expected but is
        > obviously not stored on the machine meaning i cant make use of the
        > preset < and > buttons. I know that the learn function worked previously
        > as i have tested it, it appears to not be working after i have set every
        > preset to the "bcr_only_controller.sysx". I'm wondering if it has
        > anything to do with channel assignments?

        I'm not quite sure why you would set all 32 presets to the same preset. I assume you ultimately want to have different presets set up for different VST(i) plugins, so why not start from empty presets in all cases?

        In any case, what you could do to get to grips with these things, is first get communication (incl. the LEARN operation) to work between the BCR and BC Manager. Once that works, you can see how things go with your actual VST(i)s in Cubase.

        First, try performing a LEARN operation from BC Manager to the BCR:

        1. On the BCR, hold the LEARN button and move an encoder (or button). This should yield e.g. "E 49" in the display.

        2. From BC Manager's main window, open the "MIDI controllers" window via View -> MIDI -> Controllers.

        3. In the "MIDI controllers" window, move one of the sliders (e.g. by mouse). The BCR should show "Good" briefly, then return to e.g. "P- 1".

        Secondly, you can check what any BCR button/encoder is actually sending when you press/move it, as follows:

        1. Open the "MIDI input messages" window from BC Manager's main window (e.g. via the button with the horizontal red lines).

        2. In the "MIDI input messages" window, press "Record".

        3. Move any button or encoder on the BCR. This should result in one or more MIDI messages in the "MIDI input messages" window. The actual message data is shown in the "Bytes" column; crucially, for a Control Change message, the second value indicates the CC number.

        So e.g. if the bcr_Only_Controllers preset is active on the BCR, you should see the corresponding "Control Change" messages.
        The same goes for any button/encoder whose assignment you've changed via a LEARN operation (either from BC Manager or a VSTi plugin): this should tell you which Control Change (or other) message your plugin has sent to the BCR during the LEARN operation.

        You should also remember that any LEARN operation applies to the BCR's "temporary" preset (or "preset 0" in BC Manager). So after you've made a complete setup for a particular VST(i), you have to save this temporary preset to a memory preset.

        Hope this helps,
        Mark.