Re: [bbshop] World Choir Games

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
      As I duck behind a bunker to shield myself from the flak, I'll venture this question and a follow-up and ask that respondents please address the issue, not attack the issuer:

      Are we reaching the point, economically, where it makes sense to compete via video-recording at least at the Division level?

      AND

      Might this not create opportunities for judging choruses in their own "weight class" to use a boxing term? Perhaps through some combination of membership / "on-stage" participation / prior "plateau" level?

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE
      --------------------

      The economic situation is no doubt playing a big part here, folks. Even with a potential "driving" situation for choruses that are
      within a reasonable driving distance of Cincinnati, with gas at over $4.00 a gallon in most parts of the country and real US unemployment at the 19% mark, it is no doubt getting increasingly difficult for many to justify participating in these kinds of
      events. We had 3 choruses alone in Region 3 who could not participate in regional this year due to economic factors (with even the
      outlying choruses having a 4+ hour drive to Grand Rapids, MI).

    • OldKuma@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
        Cincinnati Sound is competting at the champion level. Our VLQ is
        competing at the open level, and SAI Region #4 plans to field an open level chorus.
        Vivien Carmichael
        CSC

        In a message dated 6/6/2011 1:20:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        pkelly@... writes:

        I know that Southern Gateway is going, but that is the ONLY
        barbershop chorus I've heard of that is attending the World Choir
        Games.

        Every chorus within 500 miles of Cincinnati should compete and
        show the world what barbershop is all about! Why isn't the
        Society, SAI, and Harmony Inc. promoting this?

        Strange ...

        Pat

        Patrick Kelly, Voice Coach
        - Private voice lessons
        - Choral coaching
        - Voice and choral workshops
        - Concert tours in Israel
        Ra'anana, Israel
        pkelly@...

      • phyl
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2011
          Just curious...any BBS choruses competing?

          Peace, Phyl
          Greater Richmond chorus
        • MichaelB
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2011
            I know the Southern Gateway Chorus is competing under the direction of Awesome Joe.

            MBell