In need of a key key

  • Tgbari@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hello Netters,

      Now in the process of converting some of my old barbershop
      records to CDs, I have a favor to ask of you. My turntable is
      clearly rotating too fast, so I need to figure out how much to
      slow the .wav files down. (The turntable itself does not appear
      to be adjustable, though thoughts on that would be welcome
      too.)

      So if you own the 1965 Top 10 Quartets album and have a few
      minutes on your hands, would you let me know what key the first
      cut starts in. The song is the Four Renegades' classic version of
      Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone. In other words,
      ignoring the intro, what note is the lead singing on the first word
      of the chorus, "Please."

      Of course, it is possible that the group is singing in between keys
      or is a little sharp or flat according to your pitch instrument. Just
      let me know what you hear.

      Please respond privately. Thanks!

      Tom Gentry
      tgbari@...
      www.harmonize.ws/tgentry

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
        If your turntable is rotating too fast, either you are using a 50Hz
        turntable on 60Hz power or the turntable is defective. If it's a 50Hz
        turntable, contact the manufacturer or a repair station because a different
        drive wheel should be available. If it's defective, the turntable is
        probably not holding a steady speed, so you don't want to try to fix it
        digitally as it will still not sound right.

        That being said, it is not unusual for finished (vinyl) records to be
        slightly faster or slower than the original performance. The recording
        devices of that era were all mechanical (tape, cutting turntables) and there
        was often variations in their speed because of slight imperfections in the
        devices and also the power company often made slight variations in the
        controlling frequency to make sure all clocks kept proper time.

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...

      • Tgbari@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
          Many thanks to the folks who wrote to let me know that the Four
          Renegades sang Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone in
          the key of C#/Db on the 1965 Top Ten album.

          Now I can convert my albums to CD without having it sound as
          though Ambiance mated with The Chipmunks.

          Tom Gentry
          tgbari@...
          www.harmonize.ws/tgentry

        • barvazoni