Re: Use of Autotune

  • Paul Girard
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2010
      On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:58 AM, bbshop@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Use of Autotune
      > Posted by: "Jeffrey Reifsnyder" jayreif@... jay.reif
      > Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:21 pm (PST)
      >
      > Tim,
      >
      > A "buzz" isn't really a tell-tale of autotune's use. That probably
      > means you
      > were hearing a problem with the speakers you were listening with. It
      > doesn't
      > really mess with the vocal quality too much, at least in small doses,
      > although there is certainly a difference. I tend to notice that
      > voices sound
      > too perfect or too computerized with autotune. That's due to the
      > inherent
      > digital modification of the sound waves; in a graph of the sound
      > waves, the
      > autotuned voice will look more smooth than the raw recording.

      The smoothing may be taking the overtones out.

      > My biggest
      > annoyance with autotune is that it's not Pythagorean tempering, it's
      > equal
      > tempering (in layman's terms, pure tuning versus the tuning of a
      > piano's
      > keys).

      The term "pure" tuning doesn't explain the idea. I would say
      "rational" tuning, as in Just Intonation ratios or "harmonic" tuning.

      > <snip>

      > Jeffrey Reifsnyder
      > e-mail: jayreif@...
      > cell: (713) 890 - 2530

    • Bruce B
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2010
        Saw a neat demo on Youtube using barbershop to show teh sound with and without autotune. Check out:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-ydkc094E&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

        Bruce Baedke <><
        Bass - Pride of Iowa Chorus

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "tpblead" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

        > Here is a topic for discussion. I enjoy watching the TV show Glee, but I really dislike the use of Autotune. I have read others decrying the rampant use of Autotune on this show and others, but I had not really been able to tell on this show (maybe I really don't know what I am listening for), but my daughter showed me a clip from last night's show, and it seemed that I heard a slight buzz in the sound, that I am assuming is an artifact of Autotune.
        >
        > I can understand using Autotune when the performer is just not up to staying in tune, or perhaps to get a specific effect, but in the case of this show, it seems like the talent involved and the fact that the performances are pre-recorded and dubbed, allowing retakes to get it right, would mean that Autotune shouldn't be necessary.
        >
        > My question is this: Do they use Autotune because production costs preclude going back and "doing it right", so it is just easier to tweak it and go on, or is there something else at work here. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find someone that could carry a tune to be on this (or any other) show.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Tim Buell
        > Autotune free.
        > And usually at least close to on key.

      • marty.lovick
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2010
          Great Gold medallists .. true champions, and ... oh never mind :-]

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce B" <kbaedke@...> wrote:

          > Saw a neat demo on Youtube using barbershop to show teh sound with and without autotune. Check out:
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-ydkc094E&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
          >

          > Bruce Baedke <><
          > Bass - Pride of Iowa Chorus
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "tpblead" <tpbuell@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is a topic for discussion. I enjoy watching the TV show Glee, but I really dislike the use of Autotune. I have read others decrying the rampant use of Autotune on this show and others, but I had not really been able to tell on this show (maybe I really don't know what I am listening for), but my daughter showed me a clip from last night's show, and it seemed that I heard a slight buzz in the sound, that I am assuming is an artifact of Autotune.
          > >
          > > I can understand using Autotune when the performer is just not up to staying in tune, or perhaps to get a specific effect, but in the case of this show, it seems like the talent involved and the fact that the performances are pre-recorded and dubbed, allowing retakes to get it right, would mean that Autotune shouldn't be necessary.
          > >
          > > My question is this: Do they use Autotune because production costs preclude going back and "doing it right", so it is just easier to tweak it and go on, or is there something else at work here. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find someone that could carry a tune to be on this (or any other) show.
          > >
          > > Thoughts?
          > >
          > > Tim Buell
          > > Autotune free.
          > > And usually at least close to on key.

        • Michael Moran
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2010
            Ben that was a very well thought explanation.