Re: [bbshop] Help me with a "barbershop" dilemma

  • Alan LeVezu
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2010
      I concur with Marti and would put it simpler:

      If you mostly want to DO -- go to Harmony College
      If you mostly want to HEAR -- go to International

      Although opportunities abound for either at both, the entire focus is different.

      Alan

      On Nov 28, 2010, at 1:03 AM, bandit7577@... wrote:

      > It is time to put in my annual vacation picks for next year and I have a dilemma. I have a kitchen pass to attend ONE barbershop event this year (only two weeks of vacation and I am, sadly, not an active member of a quartet or chapter due to my work hours). What would be the better event
      > A. International in Kansas City
      > B. Mid Winter in Las Vegas
      > C. Harmony College in St Joe Mo
      >
      > luckily, for me, lodging is not a problem this year so the cost is minimal, only a short drive from Minnesota. or in the case of Las Vegas, a short flight.
      >
      > any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Doug Johnson
      > Robbinsdale, Minnesota
      >
      > P.S although I am a lot older, I tend not to sleep much during barbershop events, my vocal chords and ears get a good workout

    • aclassapartbari
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2010
        I think Alan has hit the nail on the head! International and Harmony College are two totally different experiences. If you haven't been to both, quite frankly, you aren't qualified to comment on this. REALLY!

        Every barbershopper should attend Harmony College at least once. You may then choose to attend international each year after that, but at least you will have experienced that more personal, baptism in the hot oil of barbershop fervor, that you will never experience anywhere else. If you are afraid to sing anywhere except within the safety of a chorus, maybe it's not for you. But if you really LOVE immersing yourself in the barbershop craft with people who are serious about the same thing, then you have to do this.

        It's been many years since I was a regular at Harmony College (now Harmony University, I guess) but what wonderful memories I have of those times!
        Rick Word
        Atlanta