RE: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC

  • mjmc@SYMPATICO.CA
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
      Another question.....

      How many on the invited qualify as a "small chorus"?

      I find it curious that most districts recognize their small choruses in some way but that this doesn't apply to international. We recognize collegiate quartets, seniors quartets, and youth choruses with their own categories...why not small choruses???

      Please refrain from providing examples of small choruses who have sung at international.....that isn't my question. I realize they compete on "equal" footing beside the 60-100 man groups and can qualify for international in this fashion. I just wonder why small choruses don't merit their own category, competition or award at the international level?

      In Harmony

      Matthew
      (proud member of the 2010 small chorus EVG district champions)

      To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com; chordbuster@...
      From: walterdods@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:08:11 +0000
      Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC

      Hi Guys

      Maybe someone can explain why the amount of wildcard places has been reduced to only 10, surely this cannot be because of creating a new district?

      Walter Dods

      Lead

      Rolling Hills Chorus, Spirit of Harmony, BABS

      &

      The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
        There have only been 10 wild card choruses the last 3 years.  We had 12 wild card choruses the 3 previous years before that.  10 wild cards certainly have had nothing to do with the forming of the Carolina's District.  I would however be curious why in 2008 they did switch from 12 wild cards to 10 wild cards?  Could it be that after 10 wild cards the scores started to be below a threshold of acceptance for International competition?

        Bill Kruse - Proud 50 Year Member S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A
        Westchester Chordsmen / The Alliance / Freshmen Again
        District Delegate / Youth In Harmony VP / Chapter Counselor MAD

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
          It could also be that the level of performance in international affiliates
          has been steadily increasing, meaning that more affiliates would be invited
          and accept as they're aiming for medals. More affiliates, less room for
          wildcards? I'm OK with that.

          Jamie

          On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Bill Kruse <Grandpak35@...> wrote:

          > There have only been 10 wild card choruses the last 3 years. We had 12
          > wild card choruses the 3 previous years before that. 10 wild cards
          > certainly have had nothing to do with the forming of the Carolina's
          > District. I would however be curious why in 2008 they did switch from 12
          > wild cards to 10 wild cards? Could it be that after 10 wild cards the
          > scores started to be below a threshold of acceptance for International
          > competition?
          >
          > Bill Kruse - Proud 50 Year Member S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A
          > Westchester Chordsmen / The Alliance / Freshmen Again
          > District Delegate / Youth In Harmony VP / Chapter Counselor MAD
          >

          > --- On Mon, 11/1/10, Walter D. Dods <walterdods@...<walterdods%40btinternet.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Walter D. Dods <walterdods@...<walterdods%40btinternet.com>
          > >
          > Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC
          > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "x" <
          > chordbuster@... <chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
          > Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 1:08 PM
          >

          > Hi Guys
          >
          > Maybe someone can explain why the amount of wildcard places has been
          > reduced to only 10, surely this cannot be because of creating a new
          > district?
          >
          > Walter Dods
          >
          > Lead
          >
          > Rolling Hills Chorus, Spirit of Harmony, BABS
          >
          > &
          >
          > The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS
          >
          > --- On Mon, 1/11/10, x <chordbuster@...<chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: x <chordbuster@... <chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
          > Subject: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC
          > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Monday, 1 November, 2010, 17:00
          >

          > The Harmonet Report has been updated.
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "tpblead"
          > <tpbuell@...> wrote:
          >

          > > The list of choruses as they currently stand is complete on Harmonet
          > Reporter, with the exception of the new Carolina champs. Carolina will not
          > be sending a wild card, so the 10 wild cards are the same, subject to
          > acceptance of invitations. Affiliate choruses have not been designated as
          > yet, but you can expect that Zero8, Vocal FX and at one chorus from BABS
          > will be invited. There could be others, like Aussies, Germans, etc.
          >

          > > Tim Buell
          >

          > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "chickenita1"
          > <allegromom@> wrote:
          >

          > > > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the
          > choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already
          > been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe
          > I missed it. Thanks.
          >

          > > > Anita Norman
          >
          > > > Marietta GA

        • tpblead
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
            I think Jamie is closest to being on the nose. My remembrance of the discussions when this change was made was that some felt that the chorus contest was getting to be too long, and was making it hard to fit other things into the schedule.

            Tim