Re: [bbshop] Carolinas District Quaret Semi-Final Results

  • wtieberg@cox.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
      Now there is a champion!
      Good for you Travis.
      Regards,
      Bill Tieberg, Bari
      SFSD&WOCo. 1975-76 FWD Champion
      AFWDC Board Member, Marketing

      ---- Travis Murray <travis@...> wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > As a member of the quartet who finished second to Let's Sing! this
      > weekend, I feel somewhat obligated to respond to this thread.
      >
      > The purpose of a District contest is to recognize the best quartet in
      > the district in a given year. We have instituted a "once a champion,
      > always a champion" rule, but the bottom line is that if you're the
      > best quartet in a district, you should win the award once.
      >
      > The Carolinas District is a brand new district, and Let's Sing! is
      > CLEARLY the best quartet in the district. All four guys live in
      > central North Carolina and have been entertaining the heck out of us
      > for years. And the history books of the new district should tell the
      > truth - that in 2010 the best quartet in the Carolinas when the
      > district was founded was Let's Sing!
      >
      > Congrats to a very deserving double champion. You did our new district
      > proud this weekend.
      >
      > Travis Murray
      > Proud Bari of the second best quartet in the Carolinas - 17 Below
      > http://www.17-below.com
      >

      > On Saturday, October 30, 2010, lafler.seth <lafler.seth@...> wrote:
      > > To clear things up, in case anybody thought this was an attack on the quartet, this was not an attack on these guys.  This was more of a "what the heck kind of rule is that?" post.
      > >
      > > So with the way the rule is stated, my quartet could move to another district and compete to become District Champs of that district even though we've already won our district? Or if the state of Texas wanted to become its own district, we could compete to win that district?  I just don't know how I feel about how this rule.
      > >
      > > Seth
      > >
      > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Bowen <dmb0317@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Seth,
      > >>
      > >>    Well there is a precedent that says it's fine. The Classic
      > >> Collection were CSD quartet champions and then became RMD quartet
      > >> champions when RMD was formed. The official contest rules just say
      > >> that once a quartet wins a district level or higher championship it
      > >> may not compete for that championship again, which doesn't rule out
      > >> competing for other district championships.
      > >>
      > >> David Bowen

    • harmonetreporter
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hi Gang!

        As a member of Let's Sing!, I have followed this discussion with interest, and thank David, Travis, George, and others for helping clear up any confusion and questions. As has already been pointed out, the quartet won the Dixie championship in 2009, just before the district split up to form the new Carolinas District, comprised of chapters in North and South Carolina. All four members of Let's Sing! are North Carolina barbershoppers, and since the Carolinas District championship is a different award from Dixie's, the quartet was just as eligible for this award as any other Carolinas District quartet. The standard "win once" rule didn't apply in this case. And of course, we have Classic Collection's experience that set the precedent. We had, in fact, considered singing "Oh You Beautiful Doll" in contest as a tip of the hat to Classic Collection's legacy, but ended up going with another song we could actually perform! :)

        We feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to "straddle the fence" so to speak, between the Dixie and Carolinas Districts, and remain enormously proud to have been part of Dixie as well as have a chance to help lead the way into the future with the new Carolinas District experience.

        As has also been mentioned already, the current rules really do allow a quartet to establish membership in one District over another (at least one member of the quartet must be a paid up member in the District and a chapter in that District), and declare themselves as representing that District in competition during the next year. So a Carolinas District quartet could, for example, have one member join the Roanoke, Virginia chapter (just over the NC border) and declare the quartet as a MAD quartet for the year, and compete in MAD's contests. It seems like a silly thing to do, but there's nothing in the rules that prevents it. So who knows? Maybe some quartet will try it for the heck of it.

        There are similar perceived "loopholes" in the contest rules that allow for some odd possibilities. For example...suppose you were at a chorus contest, and the curtain opened to a 50-man chorus from Greensboro, NC. They sing two songs, the curtain closes, and the next chorus is introduced, from Winston-Salem, NC. The curtain opens to reveal the SAME group of men, who sing two more songs (or even the same songs again!)...is that legal? YES, if all the members were dual members of both chapters. The rules do allow for such a thing. Is that "right" and within the spirit of competition? Maybe, maybe not. But if the rules don't prohibit it, it's possible that someone will attempt it just for the novelty of it.

        Getting back to the Carolinas District convention and contests, we had a fabulous time in Myrtle Beach, and our first convention was an attendance blowout, with nearly 900 barbershoppers and their family members coming to enjoy the festivities...that was nearly double our most optimistic predictions! Why was it so successful, in addition to the excitement of hosting our first ever convention? We had a great "destination" city in Myrtle Beach with lots to do and great weather, we had terrific discounts on off-season hotel rates, making it very affordable for more people to come, most everyone had less driving to get there (except our buddies way over in Asheville who had to make the longest drive to get to the coast), etc. It was simply a win-win situation for just about everyone. The positive excitement was palpable in the air all weekend. We had several choruses compete for the first time, we've had a number of new quartets formed and participating, and all in all the percentage of attendance went from less than a third of District members to over half the District's population, a huge increase in percent attendance!We had nine chapter hospitality rooms open Saturday night, extending the fun for everyone into the wee hours. All in all, it was quite a blast.

        We have lots of ideas and plans floating for future conventions and District events to bring more FUN back into our hobby. Barbershop is "back in business" in the Carolinas in a big way!

        Steve Tremper
        Harmonet Reporter
        Tenor, Let's Sing!
        2010 Carolinas District Quartet Champions

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "lafler.seth" <lafler.seth@...> wrote:

        > Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.
        >
        > Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?
        >
        > Seth
        >
        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "robertburns61" <landofskymanager@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:
        > >
        > > MT: Grandstand
        > > 1. Carolina Moonshine
        > > 2. Village Green
        > > 3. Mountain Vocal Project
        > > 4. Tucker Street
        > > 5. 17 Below
        > > 6. Bar None
        > > 7. BLacKJack
        > > 8. One Accord
        > > 9. Let's Sing
        > > 10. InVoice

      • tpblead
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
          Actually, Steve, your chorus "trick" has been done, sort of. In MAD a couple of years ago, the Ocean County, NJ, and Morris County, NJ chapters were attempting to pump up interest within their respective choruses and agreed that all the men would double within each other's choruses for a year. Both choruses competed at their respective Division contests and both actually qualified for District that year. Mercifully, they only competed once on the District stage, and the next year went their separate ways. Unfortunately, from the men on stage numbers from the following year, it does not seem like the experiment was particularly successful, although, I will bet that it was a lot of fun.

          Tim Buell